Is McLaren really off the pace?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Re: Is McLaren really off the pace?

I will like for Seg to explain exactly what Mclaren have done to line up alongside Vettel. Yes....come on...we're waiting

Jimi_Hendrix_1967
Jimi_Hendrix_1967

They added a Red Bull style exhaust on the mp4-26....

Poleman

Jimi_Hendrix_1967 wrote:They added a Red Bull style exhaust on the mp4-26....
If only things were that simple...

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Jimi_Hendrix_1967 wrote:They added a Red Bull style exhaust on the mp4-26....
According the Seg, the L side pods are an aerodynamic calamity. The media has reported the exhaust to be a clone of redbull's. I beg to differ...anyway, I'll wait for Seg.

speedsense
speedsense

Jimi_Hendrix_1967 wrote:Mclaren did well vs all other cars except the drinks company rockets. In the section where downforce matters it was almost 7 tenths. Its no shame though. That Red Bull is a stunning piece of art.
S3? Sorry but S2 then S1 is far more about downforce than S3, which BTW contains the slowest corner on the track (second to the last corner). The RBR seems to have the best launching ability, however the Mclaren is kicking on top speed, ....darn those ugly L pods :lol:.
Just remember that when the AGW opens one time a lap during the race, if your following close enough....This is going to be a dog fight between RBR and Mclaren, as they are on a different planet than everyone else.
Judging by the coming "restrictions" in use of the "aids", with full downforce all the time on a degrading tire, the key to the race will be straight line speed and use of it. Edge to Mclaren....
IMHO...and this year, qualifying means a lot less than it did before and the "aids" and the anti-aids (tires) have much more impact on the result than they in previous years.
The race won't be about the fastest car, but about who can maintain the fastest pace for the longest amount of time. Only two teams look strong enough to fit that bill....
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

myurr
myurr

@ speedsense - as much as I dislike the team and lead driver, I think Ferrari will fair much better in the race as well. That car is very soft on its tyres so whilst it was struggling to get heat into them in the cool qualifying conditions, within a couple of laps it'll get them up to temperature and join McLaren on pace. Red Bull may have an absolute pace advantage but I think they're also working the tyres harder (hence Vettel's advantage in sector 3), so they may struggle a little towards the end of a stint.

On the other hand maybe Vettel was so much quicker in S3 because the tyres were starting to go off for the other drivers...

raymondu999

S3 has the uberfast chicane, and the sweeper. Turn 13 or turn 14. My memory fails me. Those corners require a lot more downforce than the 6-7 chicane or any of the S2 corners IMO. Also, Red Bull and Ferrari are the kindest to its tyres Myurr. Don't forget RB probably has the most downforce.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Shakeman

Egg + Face = segedunum

It will be interesting to see if there is a discrepancy in race pace and if McLaren can close the gap. But is absolute race pace as important? Maybe a high top speed in the overtaking zones + KERS + DRS in the available combinations could mug the RBs.

Surely all the data collected by McLaren during testing is going to come into its own over the marathon of the season. The RB style exhaust is an interim solution while they make the "octopus" or son of reliable. Plenty to be optimistic about.

Wow, really looking forward to the race as it's far from a forgone conclusion as tactics are going to be massive.

Great to see Alonso where he was.

raymondu999

Yes, race pace is definitely important. Let's not underestimate the difficulty of getting within 1 second
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:Also, Red Bull and Ferrari are the kindest to its tyres Myurr. Don't forget RB probably has the most downforce.
I'm sorry I forgot that this was all established at the Bahrain GP... :P

Hasn't this weekend already shown that testing form has not necessarily carried through? RB has the most downforce, although I think McLaren aren't all that far off, but are also most reliant on that downforce and cornering grip for their speed (straight line speed is still lower than McLaren). Therefore they'll have to put more energy through the tyres to get the same laptime, ergo more wear.

On the other side of the coin if they're sliding less than the others because of that downforce then their wear rate could be lower. I have to say, though, that the McLarens have looked just as planted this weekend.

raymondu999

The downforce would protect the tyres more you mean.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

speedsense
speedsense

raymondu999 wrote:S3 has the uberfast chicane, and the sweeper. Turn 13 or turn 14. My memory fails me. Those corners require a lot more downforce than the 6-7 chicane or any of the S2 corners IMO. Also, Red Bull and Ferrari are the kindest to its tyres Myurr. Don't forget RB probably has the most downforce.
Ferrari seems kinda outa sorts, Alonso seems to be fighting the car... Massa is completely out to lunch, he's been off in every session... I don't know, the Ferrari doesn't look as good as they've been..

Something to think about, when the tires go off, corner grip lags off, downforce doesn't help it along as much, corner exit goes down, braking becomes longer, for everybody.... the straightaway top speed will be the least effected by this. The highest top speed car will have the only advantage available with the least amount of performance drop there.... Right now Mclaren has that spot, the ARW is only a plus to that... RBR will quickest on the first 5 laps of the tires, then the top speed will take over, IMHO...
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

CHT
CHT

Does anybody know how many sets of option tyres did Mclaren use throughout the qualifying?

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:The downforce would protect the tyres more you mean.
Nope I mean exactly what I said. On the one hand more downforce means less sliding so protects the tyres, on the other it means more energy going through the tyres and greater reliance on cornering speed for lap time thus damaging the tyres.

Red Bull had by far the most downforce last year yet were not the kindest to their tyres. I suspect similar this year.

myurr
myurr

CHT wrote:Does anybody know how many sets of option tyres did Mclaren use throughout the qualifying?
Three, I believe. One in Q2, two in Q3.