McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vall
vall

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Coefficient wrote:Mclaren will optimise their original design within 3 rqces and then we will see where the field stands

If Mclaren can compete with a compromised design, god help the rest when they finally dial in the tech!!!
I would say if they finally dial ... There is no guarantee, not even indications, that the so called original design will work! I do not understand why people get so excited when somebody comes with a bit different design and automatically assume that this will guarantee success!

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

all the gurney elements have effectively extended the size of the diffuser and wing.. very interesting

was it allowed last year?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

murtoidf1 wrote:all the gurney elements have effectively extended the size of the diffuser and wing.. very interesting

was it allowed last year?
Same regs, but flow over diffuser was alot less last year.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

747heavy

speedsense wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
speedsense wrote: Anyone have any guesses as to what the blue striping is on top as well as inside the diffuser?
Temperature paint.
MMM...never seen temp paint that color, it's usually red, orange or yellow in this temp range....
I guess, it will depent on the temperature you expect in this area.

http://www.tmchallcrest.com/thermax-pai ... &ref=Paint

going by this color chart it would be ~275°C, which sounds sensible to me.

or because it´s McLaren they perhaps use some of this stuff:

http://www.spacemicro.com/pdfs/SBIR_Inn ... 04-294.pdf
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Recent posts from 747's onwards were moved to the 'Is Mclaren really off the pace?' thread. Please keep this thread for specific car discussion, leaving comparisons or general comments for the other thread, or perhaps even the race topics if more appropriate.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ell66 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
speedsense wrote: Anyone have any guesses as to what the blue striping is on top as well as inside the diffuser?
Temperature paint.
he;s not asking what it is, but why its there....
Er, he asked "what" not "why". Anyway, the "why" follows quite obviously from the "what".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

[quote="zgred"]Image

there is a smell section cut out of the outside edge of the diffuser visible next to the right hand wheel, the exhausts appear to be aiming towards this area, perhaps they are hoping for a fraction of the exhaust gases to be pulled into the diffuser and the majority to go down the side/over the top.

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

Mchamilton wrote:
zgred wrote:Image

there is a smell section cut out of the outside edge of the diffuser visible next to the right hand wheel, the exhausts appear to be aiming towards this area, perhaps they are hoping for a fraction of the exhaust gases to be pulled into the diffuser and the majority to go down the side/over the top.
Yeah good spot. Id imagine teh gas which is dragged down is destined for the section on the underside of the diffuser that have the heat strips on them.

peroa
peroa

http://twitpic.com/4df5oz
http://twitpic.com/4dfbx3

Form Darren Heath's twitter, same place, same speed.

Lots of work to do, because IMHO this is key, not the blowing of the rearend.
Easy on the Appletini!

doopie2you

Maybe it's a bit off topic, but does somebody have a site with HQ McLaren pictures? I really want a new picture of the McLaren on my computers background :oops:
What does IDK means?? (someone) i dont know (other dude) OMG no one knows

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

doopie2you wrote:Maybe it's a bit off topic, but does somebody have a site with HQ McLaren pictures? I really want a new picture of the McLaren on my computers background :oops:
theyre main site hasnt updated yet

atanatizante

Because the exhaust pipe is so near the wheel (don`t now ... maybe 15-20 cm), does anybody know how can they protect tyres don`t get scorched? There are +400 degrade Celsius down there, for God`s sake! Maybe they sprayed some Zircotec on the rubber? Kidding ... :D
How about heating up the tyre in order to bring it in temperature much sooner?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

PrancingBull
PrancingBull

peroa wrote:http://twitpic.com/4df5oz
http://twitpic.com/4dfbx3

Form Darren Heath's twitter, same place, same speed.

Lots of work to do, because IMHO this is key, not the blowing of the rearend.
Great shout on the pics. I agree with the big difference in the front wing tech on the RB7 vs MP4-26. McLaren have clearly made a big leap with the rear of the car this w/e, if they want to make another one for the next race, it would make sense to concentrate on another area of the car. Look at both Hamilton's Q3 quick laps, he locked up his front right in both runs. Can they take the same approach as RB (given that they've been making very stiff front-ended cars these last couple of years and appear to have stuck to that form with the current offering)?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

atanatizante wrote:Because the exhaust pipe is so near the wheel (don`t now ... maybe 15-20 cm), does anybody know how can they protect tyres don`t get scorched? There are +400 degrade Celsius down there, for God`s sake! Maybe they sprayed some Zircotec on the rubber? Kidding ... :D
How about heating up the tyre in order to bring it in temperature much sooner?
I think the temp of the tyres themselves would suprise you, they get very hot on their own.

zgred