Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

ben butler ,chief designer at TR stated that one of the big challenges with the raised sidepods was the increased weight of the structures.
Before everything had helped each other to form a stiff structure but this new layout was only possible after saving 20 kg (!) of weight elsewhere in the car as they needed more structure to get stiffness into the separate floor and sidepods and the added surface of the pod underside adds more weight as well.
The gains coming from this layout were valued high enough they would have deleteted KERS if they were unable to save those 20kg in the main structure.
the packaging was a very tedious exercise according to him with the exhaust system the biggest issue still not completely resolved.(after iteration 65 ..the designer for this item is already tired of looking at tubes )

zgred

StrFerrari4Ever

It looks so nice from the back :o

twoshots
twoshots

Nice pic of the exhaust (top row, fourth pic along, ignore that they call it the RB7...):

http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/2011/844/

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

twoshots wrote:Nice pic of the exhaust (top row, fourth pic along, ignore that they call it the RB7...):

http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/2011/844/
Direct link to high res:

http://www.formula1.com/wi/1140x600/pla ... aus481.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

horse

zgred wrote:Image
Scarbs has picked up on this fancy Gurney. Look at how it's actually a small flap the whole way around. 2011 is the year of the diffuser Gurney flap.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

donskar
donskar

Am I alone in believing that Georgio Ascanelli will join Ferrari by the beginning of next season?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

shelly
shelly

donskar wrote:Am I alone in believing that Georgio Ascanelli will join Ferrari by the beginning of next season?
I think it greatly depends on how much politically strong have become the colleagues he did not get along with well, during the years he has not been there.
twitter: @armchair_aero

raymondu999

Massimo Rivola did. Btw, where's n_smikle? STR doesn't look like "3rd fastest team" to me :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Byronrhys

raymondu999 wrote:Massimo Rivola did. Btw, where's n_smikle? STR doesn't look like "3rd fastest team" to me :P
LOOOOOL, I was just about to mention that, it was a strong showing but not the hype he put on it, can we hear this technical reason why he thought it was 3rd now?

raymondu999

IIRC wasn't Ascanelli Vettel's engineer in 2008 Monza? And Senna's engineer a while back too
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Formula None
Formula None

Formula None
Formula None

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Rare view of the FW underside:

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Caito
Caito

Is that guy really small or that wing is HUGE? Very nice pic of the underside.
Come back 747, we miss you!!