McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Zgred, now we can really see the current McLaren exhaust exit. Thanks.

Zooming in;the screen in the brake inlet looks like radiator core = fin that snakes upwards with bends at each end. Weird.

fausto cedros

peroa wrote:http://twitpic.com/4df5oz
http://twitpic.com/4dfbx3

Form Darren Heath's twitter, same place, same speed.

Lots of work to do, because IMHO this is key, not the blowing of the rearend.
[/quote]

What really drives me nuts is that they're looking at that since last mid season and still they don' boast theirs...come on guys, a little push further.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

ell66
ell66

Just_a_fan wrote:
he;s not asking what it is, but why its there....
Er, he asked "what" not "why". Anyway, the "why" follows quite obviously from the "what".[/quote]

he asked " what are the stickers doing on the other side of the diffuser" or something along those lines, he clearly knew what they were, but was simply asking "WHAT" they were doing there.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 27 Mar 2011, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed personal comment

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

he asked " what are the stickers doing on the other side of the diffuser" or something along those lines, he clearly knew what they were, but was simply asking "WHAT" they were doing there.
No. He asked what the stickers on the top and bottom were. Indeed, you quoted his question earlier. Paraphrasing it now to make it mean something different just makes you look silly.

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 27 Mar 2011, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed response to edited quote and personal comment.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

raymondu999

The pullrod wouldn't actually affect setup in that way. I believe that last year they just had a diffuser that wasn't very benign, and would be very sensitive to ride height, so they had to maintain the ride height low, and they forced that in by using stiff springs.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

tinvek
tinvek

ok first post (been lurking for a while :) )

maybe the FIA needs to grab the (red) bull by the horn(er)s and say it will inpound any car it suspects of breaking the rule immediateely after post race scutineering and then put it in a full size windtunnel to measure clearences etc at the highest speed it achieved in the race in question, if the clearences are not acceptable then it is illegal, if they cannot reproduce the alleged offence then the car is legal, simple as that.

obviously a logistical nightmare to get the car tested as soon as possible so as to still allow the team time to work on it but at the same time if the teams don't want to be inconvienienced in this way all they have to do is not appear to have a front wing that is breaking the law.

shelly
shelly

horse wrote:
zgred wrote:Image
So the way I see it is that the exhaust must be encountering the lower wheel hub element, otherwise it wouldn't be made of this white material. I should imagine this provides some benefits by adding to the low pressure suction zones in a similar manner to the beam wing.

What intrigues me is the temp paint on the bottom of the diffuser. I'm not 100% sure I agree with shelly who said that this was because exhaust gas was drawn in around the sides.

I am wondering whether the exhaust blowing over the top is heating the underside of the diffuser which will help with boundary layer excitement? Possible? Might explain the white material if it allows a bit more conduction.

As you said you do not 100% agree with my point of view, I will try to elaborate on it to let you and others decide to agree or not.
I think we all agree that there is higher pressure on the top of the diffuser, and lower pressure on the bottom. As in every finite span wing, this pressure differential between upper and lower surface make air "escape" from the high pressure zone to the low pressure zone. So at wing tips(in diffuser case, around lateral edges) two counter-rotating vortices develop.

These are the same type of vortices that you try to obstacle with rear wing endplates (and whose intensity you are trying to control when you introduce cut-outs on endplates).

So in every diffuser there are two strong tip vortices around the lateral edges of the diffuser: if you look at the car from the back, the vortex on the right is rotating clockwise and the one on the left counterclockwise.

Because of their rotation which is induced by pressure gradient, the two vortices roll around the lateral edge and go under the floor, towards the inside. The two flat footplates on the side of the diffuser (which give it the omega shape) are there also to convert the low pressure of the core of the vortices into downforce, making that low pressure be felt by a downward oriented surface.

The gurney also contributes to pressure difference, making it higher and creating stronger vortices.

So those vortexes are there, because of pressure gradient: if you blow exhaust in that zone, also the exhaust will be subject to the same pressure gradient and will be rolled in the same tip vortex.

You will end up having some exahust gases inside the diffuser, coming form below after rolling. How mauch and how hot? You can simulate it, but after simulation is better checking with some thermosensitive stickers, like Mc is doing.

Further evidence thy are playing with those vortices are their low endplate extensions-gills; interesting to note that each one has a specific variable twist.

I suppose these gills are meant to weaken the vortices in the wake.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Poleman

Guys please edit your posts and remove quoted pictures.Just quote the text.Its getting frustrating to follow the discusion.

ringo

This thread needs some cleaning.
Last 3 pages is flexi wing and nothing on the 26.

I think the car is looking better than it really is. This track is not so demanding on down-force.
All in all the car is ok compared to the rest but they need to catch the redbull.
For Sure!!

Tim.Wright

ringo wrote:This thread needs some cleaning.
Last 3 pages is flexi wing and nothing on the 26.
feynman wrote:The last time I mentioned this suggestion..
Agree, I moved my reply here;
viewtopic.php?p=236291&f=6#p236291

tim
Not the engineer at Force India

forty-two

Just_a_fan wrote:And appears not to be suitably referenced either...

If i were Hollus and other esteemed members, I for one would be pretty peeved with CSPonton for this blatant pinching of ideas and original material.

However, I suspect that no regard was given to FOM for the pinching of the original stills, so perhaps fair's fair?

It wouldn't have hurt to add a credit for the material though IMHO
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

forty-two wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:And appears not to be suitably referenced either...

If i were Hollus and other esteemed members, I for one would be pretty peeved with CSPonton for this blatant pinching of ideas and original material.

However, I suspect that no regard was given to FOM for the pinching of the original stills, so perhaps fair's fair?

It wouldn't have hurt to add a credit for the material though IMHO
Especially since he rubs it in by posting it in the car threads.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

godlameroso

The rear ends of these cars look like WW2 bi-planes
Saishū kōnā

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

All flexible wing posts were moved to the appropriate thread:
:arrow: Flexible wings 2011
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It looks like the McLaren is looking after its tyres very well.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.