McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
myurr
myurr

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Just_a_fan wrote:It looks like the McLaren is looking after its tyres very well.
They definitely had less tyre wear than Ferrari and Red Bull, so looking good for race pace. I think they've got a very solid foundation for development throughout the coming races. And I guess yaw isn't such a problem for them :)

They had much better race pace than Ferrari as well, so it wasn't just a case of tyre temperatures in qualifying.

Ratatouille
Ratatouille

And now we see the results of testing with the MP4-25 in the first test.

Looking the way the race developed, I think Mclaren have hit the spot with tyre management. What happened to Webber and the Ferraris show that their rivals have a marginal operation window, which Mclaren doesn't seem to be subject to. I guess thats also the benefit of having Button on board, his race pace was the most consistent of all the top drivers.

Spencifer_Murphy

Interesting to see how certain haters have become very quiet all of a sudden as this weekend progressed.

I'm impressed with the useage of its tyres, tbh I was execting Red Bull to be the best in that regard. Mclaren have a useful little trait in their car. It was concerning that the DRS doesn't seem to have done much for Button when he was behind Massa, though I suspect it might be a universal thing, Petrov seemed happy with the DRS in his post race interview. Hopefully this isn't a weak-link in the chain for the MP4-26?
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Interesting to see how certain haters have become very quiet all of a sudden as this weekend progressed.

I'm impressed with the useage of its tyres, tbh I was execting Red Bull to be the best in that regard. Mclaren have a useful little trait in their car. It was concerning that the DRS doesn't seem to have done much for Button when he was behind Massa, though I suspect it might be a universal thing, Petrov seemed happy with the DRS in his post race interview. Hopefully this isn't a weak-link in the chain for the MP4-26?
Remember, the DRS is depend on the length of the chord used. That changes the amount of downforce/drag lost when the drs is used

beelsebob
beelsebob

"I know and the team know where the performance is, it's just a matter of soaking it up" [paraphrased from LH] – I think we'll see this McLaren develop rather fast for a while.

Flanker27
Flanker27

murtoidf1 wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Interesting to see how certain haters have become very quiet all of a sudden as this weekend progressed.

Remember, the DRS is depend on the length of the chord used. That changes the amount of downforce/drag lost when the drs is used
I heard on the tv comment that the big dimension of mclaren's flap make their drs not so efficient, cause the lowerinf is fixed at 50mm

is it plausible, or one of the usual bullshits of italian tv commentary?

shelly
shelly

It is the opposite: the bigger the flap, the bigger the drag reduction when you activate drs.
twitter: @armchair_aero

feynman
feynman

No, I reckon it is clearly the opposite of your opposite.

The DRS function is fixed at 50mm, if you have a short wing raising it 50mm is enough to lay it Monza flat.

If you have a long chorded wing, 50mm is not enough to push it clear and leaves an awful lot of frontal area still pushing into the airflow.

Of course you may get benefit elsewhere ontrack, and there are other aero and design considerations to bear in mind when constructing a wing, so like all things, wing chord length is about 'pays your money takes your choice'.

shelly
shelly

It is not only about frontal area.

Bigger flap means the main plane is smaller and more relying on flap to produce downforce, so changing flap attitude of a bigger flap, even if the rotation is smaller in terms of degrees, leads to a bigger downforce and then drag reduction.

Also remember that the flap is in tha main plane upwash, so putting it horizontal means putting it angled to the local flow.
twitter: @armchair_aero

myurr
myurr

Ironically (and somewhat cruelly for the drivers) the Sauber has failed scrutineering because their small DRS flap is in breech of the regulations, so that McLaren now have the second best top speed behind only Rosberg. Maybe the flap size doesn't make a huge difference and the team aren't so stupid after all.

Halgovern
Halgovern

[....]
Can everyone who said Mclaren will have double retirement come forward please :lol:
Last edited by Steven on 01 Apr 2011, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please note this is a technical thread
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

Lindz

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 01 Apr 2011, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Technical thread...

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

malaysia will give us all the answers we need on the rear wing.

Redbull are gna be at a disadvantage if they dont get their kers sorted out as well with the 2 long straights in the upcoming race.

bidong
bidong

copperkipper1 wrote:malaysia will give us all the answers we need on the rear wing.

Redbull are gna be at a disadvantage if they dont get their kers sorted out as well with the 2 long straights in the upcoming race.
I know this is a bit off topic for this thread. But I hope they put the DRS zone on the back straight rather than the start finish straight. I think it will work better when the straight starts from blind right than a hard left hairpin which is the s/f straight.

Great race from McLaren. fine Vettel won but Lewis is right on his tail and I have a strong feeling that they will be much closer in Malaysia. a McLaren win might be possible.

so glad this season has begun

raymondu999

Do you mean further? lol. Sepang's sweepers plays right into the hands of the two Bulls
失败者找理由,成功者找方法