McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
segedunum
segedunum

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Owen.C93 wrote:McLaren were 4kph quicker through the speed trap, Malaysia has much longer straights which can only help. If Red-Bull don't have KERS it could be great in the race.
Bit of an off-shoot, but Red Bull were around 20 kph faster than McLaren through the highest corners on the circuit - 11 and 12 - and they carried that speed into the next straight. That's.....a lot, and a little more relevant to Sepang than Melbourne. They've still got a lot of aerodynamic development to do with this car.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

i thought you could only expose so much of the exhaust outside of the bodywork?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

segedunum wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:McLaren were 4kph quicker through the speed trap, Malaysia has much longer straights which can only help. If Red-Bull don't have KERS it could be great in the race.
Bit of an off-shoot, but Red Bull were around 20 kph faster than McLaren through the highest corners on the circuit - 11 and 12 -
Really? Wow.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

myurr
myurr

segedunum wrote:
Bit of an off-shoot, but Red Bull were around 20 kph faster than McLaren through the highest corners on the circuit - 11 and 12 - and they carried that speed into the next straight. That's.....a lot, and a little more relevant to Sepang than Melbourne. They've still got a lot of aerodynamic development to do with this car.
Where did that information come from? I've not seen it anywhere other than on this forum...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

From seg's imagination most likely... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

segedunum wrote:
And yet the McLaren's were still 4kph faster through the speed traps...those Red Bull are really slow in a straight line without KERS to boost them aren't they..!! :wink:
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

segedunum
segedunum

It was somewhere between 15 and 20 kph difference on average, plus or minus, when Vettel was on his qualifying lap or fast laps during the race between him and the McLarens. If you have recordings of the race and qualifying they have a nice on-screen indicator now that you can pause at various points and compare. Even allowing for some significant error margin in that speedometer it's fairly eye opening. Someone else did an analysis of it that I'll have to dig out and post elsewhere.

In terms of the MP4-26, this thread and the car I think it's fair to say they need to burn even more midnight oil getting usable downforce on to the car. People talk about the mythical 'race pace', but it's meaningless when the opposition blasts a few laps in, builds up a cushion and then turns everything down for the rest of the race as happens these days. No one finishes a minute down the road in races now.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Hamiltons car post race

ferddy07
ferddy07

segedunum wrote:It was somewhere between 15 and 20 kph difference on average, plus or minus, when Vettel was on his qualifying lap or fast laps during the race between him and the McLarens. If you have recordings of the race and qualifying they have a nice on-screen indicator now that you can pause at various points and compare. Even allowing for some significant error margin in that speedometer it's fairly eye opening. Someone else did an analysis of it that I'll have to dig out and post elsewhere.

In terms of the MP4-26, this thread and the car I think it's fair to say they need to burn even more midnight oil getting usable downforce on to the car. People talk about the mythical 'race pace', but it's meaningless when the opposition blasts a few laps in, builds up a cushion and then turns everything down for the rest of the race as happens these days. No one finishes a minute down the road in races now.

Here we go again........ :twisted:

raymondu999

segedunum wrote:It was somewhere between 15 and 20 kph difference on average, plus or minus, when Vettel was on his qualifying lap or fast laps during the race between him and the McLarens. If you have recordings of the race and qualifying they have a nice on-screen indicator now that you can pause at various points and compare. Even allowing for some significant error margin in that speedometer it's fairly eye opening. Someone else did an analysis of it that I'll have to dig out and post elsewhere.

Maybe you could post screenshots mate?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

i cant seem to find it, might have been a comment made on tv, but Seb was 14 kph quicker through the chicane than Lewis.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Pup
Pup

14, 20. By next week it will be 35.

raymondu999

Nah. Next week it'll stay 20. But people will say it was in m/s :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

boci
boci

Can they change the beam wing design / rear crash structure? To me that looks like one thing they can improve a lot.

RB7
MP4-26

McLaren's beam wing is effectively 10-20% smaller because its bonded to the crash structure.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

No, the rear crash structure have been homologated since the crash test
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna