Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Mercedes GP W02

3one wrote: Something i would like to ask... What are the benefits on having the exhaust blowing on top of the board as everyone is trying to blow under the car to increase downforce?
Red-Bull and Renualt are the only teams blowing under the floor that I know of.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

3one
3one

Owen.C93 wrote:
3one wrote: Something i would like to ask... What are the benefits on having the exhaust blowing on top of the board as everyone is trying to blow under the car to increase downforce?
Red-Bull and Renualt are the only teams blowing under the floor that I know of.
I stand corrected... Anyway regarding my question there really any DF benefits blowing on top of the floor? Where in case with MGP the whole floor...

marcush.
marcush.

so MGP w02 did not fit to Melbourne methinks and Mercedes has some work left apparently to iron out .
This track is not really your typical GP venue and the temps were also lower than usual.
We did not hear the word we did not get the tyres in their working window but I fear that this is still one of the mysteriums they have not found a permqanent answer to.
Testing is not racing and funny how Mclaren who seemed to be in the doldrums come to Australia to emerge as the most competitive package after RedBull and Mercedes who kept improving are now back to square one...

Formula None
Formula None

dren

marcush. wrote:so MGP w02 did not fit to Melbourne methinks and Mercedes has some work left apparently to iron out .
This track is not really your typical GP venue and the temps were also lower than usual.
We did not hear the word we did not get the tyres in their working window but I fear that this is still one of the mysteriums they have not found a permqanent answer to.
Testing is not racing and funny how Mclaren who seemed to be in the doldrums come to Australia to emerge as the most competitive package after RedBull and Mercedes who kept improving are now back to square one...
Exactly. It looked like Ferrari and Mercedes both had tire issues. I fully expect both teams to be much closer to the top of the charts in the next race. Last year Mercedes came out and performed to where they expected. This year everyone seems mystified that they couldn't pull out the performance they found at Barcelona. So the team knows the performance is there, they just weren't able to use it for some reason or another.
Honda!

bot6
bot6

The reasons aren't that mysterious. They had troubles with the KERS during the whole weekend, which prevented them from setting up the cars correctly according to Brawn. And that same KERS issue showed up in Q2 for Schumi, screwing up both of his attempts.

Strange considering McLaren use the same system, but they did report a few glitches too. But I think once that KERS thing is sorted out it will change a lot of things.

Macxtor
Macxtor

What about redbulls ultraflex conept and Mclarens medium flex cars. If FIA accept this aero manupulation why dont Mercedes copy this. The RBR frontnose and wings is flexing so much!! Add this flex concept over the whole car like RBR and Mercedes immideiatly will gain 1 or 2 seconds. Mclaren did this why dont Mercedes do it. Wake up FIA or Mercedes!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Macxtor wrote:What about redbulls ultraflex conept and Mclarens medium flex cars. If FIA accept this aero manupulation why dont Mercedes copy this. The RBR frontnose and wings is flexing so much!! Add this flex concept over the whole car like RBR and Mercedes immideiatly will gain 1 or 2 seconds. Mclaren did this why dont Mercedes do it. Wake up FIA or Mercedes!
I don't think it's a case of not bothering. :roll:
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Owen,

Im gutted. really am gutted over the performance of the car this last weekend. Although there are reasons for it, there werent 1.89 seconds worth of reasons.

Mercedes should forget about anything they want to add to this car, and to concentrate on learning what makes the RB7 so quick,(flexing wings) and apply it to their own car before the midway point in the season.

The potential returns far outweight those of a tweak here and there.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Ferraripilot

As I see it during the race and especially during qualifying, W02 was not using tires correctly. The qualy times were essentially identical with hard and soft compound tires for them. This was the fundamental issue with the weekend. I was fully expecting W02 to break into the 1:24s during qualifying as that is where W01 was last year and we know W02 to be a faster car as at Barcelona testing MIchael went faster than his Spanish GP qualy time in W01. Odd and hugely upsetting weekend for the team I'm sure.

Macxtor
Macxtor

thanks bot6,

I really hope they ban the flexiwings because this is what gives RBR and MCL a big advantage. If you compare them to the mercedes far more stiff solution you could clarly see that w02 can improve very much in this detail. I hope the have something ready if FIA allow RBR and MCL:s flexicars. Othervise Mercedes must develop something like this very soon.

I think Mercedes has thought about this and have a solution with new nose design of W02. This could be one part of an advanced flexi system, IF it will be allowed. :o

//Mac

Macxtor
Macxtor

Ferraripilot wrote:As I see it during the race and especially during qualifying, W02 was not using tires correctly. The qualy times were essentially identical with hard and soft compound tires for them. This was the fundamental issue with the weekend. I was fully expecting W02 to break into the 1:24s during qualifying as that is where W01 was last year and we know W02 to be a faster car as at Barcelona testing MIchael went faster than his Spanish GP qualy time in W01. Odd and hugely upsetting weekend for the team I'm sure.
Something very strange happend in Australia. Mercedes has probably huge problems to get the new cars in race trim. Remember that Barcelona was a test car and they had two tests to adjust the car.

The problems is clearly a mix of wrong setup, Kers/rearwing probelms and minimum "Aero flex". Amateur calulation: Setup, 0,2-0,5sek, Kers/rearwing, 0,2-0,5sek, no "illegal" flexi-aero 1 sek = 1,5-2 sek

//Mac

madly
madly

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/03/27/l ... tel-start/

At F1 Fanatic Race Chart chapter Select none to clear chart, then select few drivers: SV, LH, NR, FA, VP and KK. Then compare real race speed of W02 in Melbourne 2011 of first stint. At this race they were at the Sauber level rather, than 4th team on the grid... Possible victories? Not yet.

bot6
bot6

In Barcelona, they set all of their fast times with the Mark I wing (without the slots). In Oz, they used the Mark II front wing (with the slots). That and the different track characteristics meant they could not use the setups from Barcelona but had to find new ones.

Kers issues limited their running in practice and prevented them from doing so. On top of that, they impeded Schumacher's attempt in Q2.

With the same idea as Mac's calculations, mine would go like this (keep in mind this is a ballpark thing guys, I'm not trying to evaluate to the tenth here):

1 - 1.5 seconds for the bendy front wing
0.7 seconds setup
0.3 seconds KERS

So 2 - 2.5 seconds that are not inherent to the car itself but to outside "influence".

Also, keep in mind that the times set by Schumacher in the race mean nothing as his car was damaged in turn 3 of the first lap, enough so that he had to retire for safety reasons.

Ferraripilot

madly wrote:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/03/27/l ... tel-start/

At F1 Fanatic Race Chart chapter Select none to clear chart, then select few drivers: SV, LH, NR, FA, VP and KK. Then compare real race speed of W02 in Melbourne 2011 of first stint. At this race they were at the Sauber level rather, than 4th team on the grid... Possible victories? Not yet.

Yeah that's about how I saw them. Sauber level and a good 3/4 second slower on race pace than they should have been per pre-season testing anyway. MB and Ferrari just made the wrong setup moves with the tires somehow...... Although once Ferrari and MB have the flexi-wing business either figured out or it's banned the playing field will indeed be quite level.