Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bot6
bot6

Re: Mercedes GP W02

It wouldn't be a bad thinking path... Go back to what worked well, and start from there instead of starting from a car that did not perform up to expectations.

At least it gave them a healthier base to work with.

PlatinumZealot

So it's still has Honda DNA.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

N12ck

it appears i am onto something here,,, it is basically a BGP001 with single deck diffuser and a raised nose and more compacted sidpods IMO
Budding F1 Engineer

bot6
bot6

And with different sidepods, KERS, adjustable rear wing, other suspension, other tyres, double decker radiator system...

It might be closer to the BGP01 in design philosophy, but it still is a new car, not just a rip-off of the post-honda...

N12ck

well the sidepods even look similar, yes they have changed the insides and the suspension, but i think when they have started designing for this year they have started on a bgp001 and changed it, and used the bgp001 as a base of the design.
Budding F1 Engineer

The FOZ
The FOZ

N12ck wrote:it appears i am onto something here,,, it is basically a BGP001 with single deck diffuser and a raised nose and more compacted sidpods IMO
...And there's basically no difference between either of those cars and a pickup truck.

You honestly can't be trying to make a visuals-only comparison between two cars and feel intellectually honest to come up with what amounts to "yup, pretty much the same"

What you see is only a shadow of what is truly there. You need only look at the 2009 and 2011 rulebooks to know the weakness of your comparison.

xpensive
xpensive

I can't really hear you JET?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

we can conclude already that since 2 years the Brawn guys seem to struggle to get to grips with the package they are developing. :shock: We have heard again and again that things have improved and solutions are found but all this has yet to translate into something countable...
last year it was the tyres or maybe something fundamenatlly with the car,this year it is KERS....-but wait -RedBull did not even have it.... :? so where do they stand? ouch.

xpensive
xpensive

You are not gonna see me gloat marcush, or saying what did I tell you, but the attention to detail on that car was pitiful from the beginning. Which is a loud and clear tell-tale in most walks of life. Now the other teams will just run away.

Question is for how long Daimler will take the humiliation and when heads will start to roll?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Onch

xpensive wrote:... but the attention to detail on that car was pitiful from the beginning. ...
Yes the way the exhaust pipes were sticking out on the launch car didn't look too 'F1-spec'. I was expecting to see something better for the 1st race but it still looks a bit lacking in integration compared to most other cars (even some of those less well funded teams).

N12ck

you cant seriously say that mercedes came up with the exact same designs for the rear wing endplates as a matter of coincidence, came up with a similar airbox as a matter of coincidence came up with the same engine cover as a matter of coincidence, they have certainly took ideas off the bgp001 without a doubt, and have used the designs off the bgp001, no question about it, im not saying that they have made a brawn gp clone, all im saying is that alot of designs in the car has been influenced by the bgp001
Budding F1 Engineer

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:You are not gonna see me gloat marcush, or saying what did I tell you, but the attention to detail on that car was pitiful from the beginning. Which is a loud and clear tell-tale in most walks of life. Now the other teams will just run away.

Question is for how long Daimler will take the humiliation and when heads will start to roll?
You know I was expecting A LOT more for the last Barcelona test and I had to accept that you were again right on the money that we would not see anything spectacular...I was a bit releaved when the times were encouraging but tbh i was aware this was more fuelload related performance gain than anything else.
IΒ΄m absolutely disappointed by the finish and attention to detail we see on this car ...a basic lack of passion is what crosses my mind seeing this car.I hope we are proven wrong but to me this is not a winning car as sad as it is.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

xpensive wrote:I can't really hear you JET?
What do you want? A medal?
The W02 is still within half a second of the Ferrari 150th and also a head of Massa's Ferrari.
Mercedes were hampered with KERS all weekend and had various other setup problems due to the unique nature of the circuit.

Im going to bet we havent seen Mercedes yet, and if you think they are going to show the same level f performance from the W02 at the next race, stake your "rep" on it.
More could have been done.
David Purley

PlatinumZealot

They should just screw it all and copy redBull. You know my saying already... You Can't beat 'em, copy 'em.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

myurr
myurr

n smikle wrote:They should just screw it all and copy redBull. You know my saying already... You Can't beat 'em, copy 'em.
And you know my saying "Copy 'em and you won't beat 'em."