2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
WhiteBlue

Re: Formula One 1.6l turbo engine formula as of 2013

rjsa wrote:At first noise was being discarded as a non issue. Now People are taking their time to try to please us believers.

Things are improving. Let's hope the I4 nonsense is forgotten soon enough and I and Ferrari are kept happy.
From all we know about the regulatory situation we can only conclude that you are delusional. The manufacturers are busy developing the 1.6L engines. They will come as surely as the sun is seen to go up and down.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Sayshina
Sayshina

WhiteBlue wrote:
rjsa wrote:At first noise was being discarded as a non issue. Now People are taking their time to try to please us believers.

Things are improving. Let's hope the I4 nonsense is forgotten soon enough and I and Ferrari are kept happy.
From all we know about the regulatory situation we can only conclude that you are delusional. The manufacturers are busy developing the 1.6L engines. They will come as surely as the sun is seen to go up and down.
Well, first off, the noise issue is silly. It's not possible to maintain the levels of noise pollution F1 currently puts out. Well, not unless you intend to hold the entire series in 3rd world countries.

Tracks all over the world are being forcibly shut down because the local population is no longer willing to tollerate the noise. Just because you love the sound does notmean they do. You're crying about the loss of dinosaurs. No matter what else happens F1 cars 5 years from now will have to be much quieter than todays.

WB, I still can't see the logic of your argument. It is based on the idea that Bernie doesn't matter. Again I ask you, how many fights have you seen that guy lose?

rjsa
rjsa

It's the end of the rock concerts era also?

And I guess jet propelled air transportation is also facig it's dusk.

Sorry, bit I don't believe that. Most of times, people will be faced with the fact that they moved close to previously distant, low populated and occasionally noisy areas and it's not their right to complain afterwards.

Sayshina
Sayshina

rjsa wrote:It's the end of the rock concerts era also?

And I guess jet propelled air transportation is also facig it's dusk.

Sorry, bit I don't believe that. Most of times, people will be faced with the fact that they moved close to previously distant, low populated and occasionally noisy areas and it's not their right to complain afterwards.
Erm, that's exactly what people are doing actually. They're CONSTANTLY moving near airports, and then demanding cerfews be placed on when heavy jets can fly.

That is in fact one of the primary concerns in modern heavy jet design, right behind fuel consumption. The US Navy moved it's Fighter Weapons School (remember "Top Gun"?) from outside San Diego to the middle of effin nowhere Nevada. The locals have complained about the noise for decades, and even in a post 9/11 world it turns out they'd rather have their protection a couple hundred miles away.

Across the globe, aircraft are required to fly over parks and low density populations, sometimes resulting in detours of hundreds of miles.

The huge stadium concerts of 20 years ago aren't even happening all that much anymore, and when they do they tend to take place in industrial neighborhoods where noise polution is much less of an issue.

And keep in mind that the vast majority of world population thinks auto racing, all forms of auto racing, is a silly waste of time and money. But please don't take my word for this. Look it up for yourself. How many tracks have closed in the last 50 years, vs. how many new ones have opened. And sure, in many cases it's some other issue cited for the closure, usually finance, but also keep in mind that if the track had been considered of any value to the local populace they might have lifted a finger to save it.

Most auto racing fans seem to live in a fantasy land where of course racing will be here forever. Most of the rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of silly nitwits. As long as we don't intrude on thier lives then fine, but as soon as we do there's bound to be trouble. Racing tracks are considered vastly more anoying than airports. People don't like the noise of either, but they REALLY don't like the noise of race engines. That high pitched scream you're so in love with? That's not a universal love.

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:

Delusional is an interesting xpression, I doubt that anything of the kind is being developed as we speak.

These kind of hosewife-engines will clearly be abandoned and the current V8s retained.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:

Delusional is an interesting xpression, I doubt that anything of the kind is being developed as we speak.

These kind of hosewife-engines will clearly be abandoned and the current V8s retained
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... ical-boss/
Rob White @ Renault wrote:We are already working on the (2013) engine. There will only be new manufacturers come into Formula One with a new engine format.
So Renault are confirming the development of the "house wife" engines! No sign of abandoning the L4 turbos. I think you just have a very vivid imagination or as Joe Saward puts it you have been living in cloudcuckooland.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/04/ ... uckooland/
Joe Saward wrote:For those living in Cloudcuckooland

April 4, 2011 by joesaward

There are some F1 websites out there who have yet to grasp that the planned new engine formula for Formula 1 in 2013 has already been formally agreed and is going ahead, whether some of the people involved in Formula 1 like it or not. The decision was made in December last year when it was necessary to get a decision finalised in order for the new rules to be in place for the future. The engine manufacturers involved are already working on the development of the new units. For those who are having trouble understanding the situation, or are being led up the garden path by those with vested interests, here is the press release in question:Image
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 04 Apr 2011, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pingguest
Pingguest

That doesn't prove too much, as the current engine regulations don't allow any new engine manufacture to enter the series.

WhiteBlue

Pingguest wrote:That doesn't prove too much, as the current engine regulations don't allow any new engine manufacture to enter the series.
Where do you read that? AFAIK there is no rule stopping any interested new party to supply engines of the 2011, 2012 or 2013 spec type to any teams in F1. Please elaborate on your strange opinion.

xpensive
xpensive

Ah, think I get it now, Ol' Joe Sewer is now officially an oracle with divine insight and nothing less?

What Rob White said was that they were working on their 2013 engine, nothing else.

Fact is that there's no tangible evidence that anyone is working on no housewife-engine for 2013.

It's simply not going to happen either.

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Ah, think I get it now, Ol' Joe Sewer is now officially an oracle with divine insight and nothing less?

What Rob White said was that they were working on their 2013 engine, nothing else.

Fact is that there's no tangible evidence that anyone is working on no housewife-engine for 2013.

It's simply not going to happen either.
Yep, Cloudcuckooland obviously. The original AMUS report about Renault is quite specific about the new Renault 4 cylinder turbo engine.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 77294.html

The report provides interesting figures on the Renault budget as well. At least old Joe Saward is not suffering from Alzheimer or head in the sand disease as some seem to do here. It should be sufficiently official when the governing body publishes the decision for a new engine format as it did in last December.

xpensive
xpensive

Perhaps you should try and form your own opinion sometime WB?

Sayshina
Sayshina

xpensive wrote:Perhaps you should try and form your own opinion sometime WB?
To be fair, I think he's been pretty clear on his own desires. He wants a turbo 4 with variable valve timing, the fuel mass limit, 4 wheel kers, and basically an open book set of tech regs.

Every time there's been any word on new limits in the rules he's been dissappointed, and every time he's reset his expectations to the maximum technical freedom still allowed. The only problem I have with this position is that it refuses to acknowledge recent history, and relies primarily on wishful thinking. The FIA continues to prove over and over that they not only don't care about technical freedom, but are actively against it. And as I've said more than once, how can you possibly ignore what Bernie is saying as though he didn't have any power?

WhiteBlue

Like you do against all evidence? No thanks, I have no need for day dreaming. Contrary to some other users of this site I understand the rule making mechanism in Formula1.

The F1 commission decides the rules and the FiA World Motor Sport Counsil approves the rules and makes them official. From this stage on a change needs the unanimous support of all teams and all other commission members. This is extremely unlikely to happen in the case of the 2013 engine rules. I know that, Bernie Ecclestone knows that and Ferrari knows that. Only some people with a distinct lack of knowledge of the F1 politics and rule making are still hunting a fantasy that is practically impossible to materialize.

Personally I'm quite happy with the new rules. There is very little that I would make different if I had the power to change something.

I would introduce unlimited KERS ASAP and I would push harder on efficiency technologies for the chassis. I would bring back the 2000 mm tracks, legalize inerters, ground effect, active suspension, aero elasticity, active wings and set a limit to legal downforce of 1.25 metric tons.

While I have my own wishes for F1 I'm not under the illusion that they will be adopted any time soon.

segedunum
segedunum

The thing that smells about this to me is that no one wants the four banger, apart from probably VW who are loitering around in the background and saying nothing.

Renault have said that they're looking at it and that's all, but the difficulty is that they have no 2013 chassis to design it with in mind. That's going to be unbelievably expensive. While we might get chassis changes in 2013 I don't think we will see any engine changes until much later, if ever.

You can quote as many regulations as you like but if no one can produce the engines then you're a tad stuck.

xpensive
xpensive

Sayshina wrote:
To be fair, I think he's been pretty clear on his own desires. He wants a turbo 4 with variable valve timing, the fuel mass limit, 4 wheel kers, and basically an open book set of tech regs.
WB has no opinions of his own, those "opinions" he is marketing are just those formulated by the FIA/WMSC or Max Mosley.