Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP W02

dren wrote:I don't think it was set-up issues as much as all of the systems not working. If Mercedes produces a 100% reliable working car in Malaysia, I expect them to fight it out with Mclaren, Ferrari and Renault. I don't think the wheel base is causing issues. They had KERS issues and the rear wing stalling when it wasn't supposed to.
The knock on effect is they couldnt find set up time. Yes some systems where hindering them, but the car is not easy to set up is my point. Any more niggles and they will be on the back foot throughout the weekend.
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

I cannot imagine how Norbert ,Ross and Loic can survive this .Even if they manage a turnaround come season halfway point it is already too late.
I would bet the pressure has reached hights Brawn has had no idea of and the question is :does he need this? with him not on the board anymore the fingerpointing from that very board will be harsh and demanding ,the questions needed to be answered by the guy running the show ,in charge now and most of all they need results.NOW.nothing else than podiums will do.If they miss to deliver in Malysia the ship is sure to sink,they will not have 4 races to get it sorted.

Hangaku

marcush. wrote:I cannot imagine how Norbert ,Ross and Loic can survive this .Even if they manage a turnaround come season halfway point it is already too late.
I would bet the pressure has reached hights Brawn has had no idea of and the question is :does he need this? with him not on the board anymore the fingerpointing from that very board will be harsh and demanding ,the questions needed to be answered by the guy running the show ,in charge now and most of all they need results.NOW.nothing else than podiums will do.If they miss to deliver in Malysia the ship is sure to sink,they will not have 4 races to get it sorted.
How very dramatic. I suspect it's nowhere near this stage just yet.
Yer.

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
dren wrote:I don't think it was set-up issues as much as all of the systems not working. If Mercedes produces a 100% reliable working car in Malaysia, I expect them to fight it out with Mclaren, Ferrari and Renault. I don't think the wheel base is causing issues. They had KERS issues and the rear wing stalling when it wasn't supposed to.
The knock on effect is they couldnt find set up time. Yes some systems where hindering them, but the car is not easy to set up is my point. Any more niggles and they will be on the back foot throughout the weekend.
Is the car not easy to set up inherently or did the KERS and rear wing problems cause the set-up issues? Like you said, it certainly reduced the time they had to set up the car.
Honda!

jav
jav

I wouldn't be surprised if this next race is the litmus test for Mercedes. A good result will buy the team some time to show their true metal. Another Melbournesque performance and I'd be surprised if rumblings of major changes don't begin surfacing.

I think it's naive to think that PR statments mirror the tone behind closed doors. I don't believe Mercedes expected the Silver Arrow name's resurection to be associated with the performance of 2010. So much so that in 2011, we hear W02, but not "Silver Arrow".

I think things are much grimmer than the team is putting forth. They are no longer making humble statements in caution... their building expectations. This is either becuase: the car really has promise OR because the team feels they need to project confidence becuase their performance isn't delivering any.

I hope for the former, but fear the later.

dren

The team has been spot on with the statements since day 1 of winter testing. They were last year as well. I expect better things in the next few races.
Honda!

Leon
Leon

even that grand teams like mclaren and ferrari had such issues with their cars in past, so let's see what's would happens and how quick the team can adapt w02 to reveal it's true potential. I expect some aero and other updates, because the current updates seems to be very conservative.

excuse me for my poor english
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

jav
jav

dren wrote:The team has been spot on with the statements since day 1 of winter testing. They were last year as well. I expect better things in the next few races.
Respectfully....Huh????

The teams has not been spot on with statements, this year or last IMHO. If you recall, this year, the head start was to produce a basic car for tire evaluations and reliability rus at tests 1 & 2 and then the "real car", which was supposed to be "very different", was going to debut at test 3 to work on performance.

The new car did NOT arrive at test 3- parts barely made it to Barcelona the second day of test 4 and the "very different" car amounted to the same old car with updates...just like everyone else.

Also- unless you consider last years repeated statements of a "step forward" to really mean a step sideways or backward (at least for the first half of the season) then we must define "spot on" a little differently.

Ferraripilot

Every single driver/team on the field knew something was awry with W02 as neither driver benefitted from changing to softs during qualy, while every other car on the grid of course found a good amount of time. Look at the figures, both MB drivers gained nothing or in Nico's case very very little from soft tires when if the car is set up correctly softs are good for a second or more. W02 should have been laying down times in the 1:24.5 range if KERS were working and the setup was right.

dren

jav wrote:
dren wrote:The team has been spot on with the statements since day 1 of winter testing. They were last year as well. I expect better things in the next few races.
Respectfully....Huh????

The teams has not been spot on with statements, this year or last IMHO. If you recall, this year, the head start was to produce a basic car for tire evaluations and reliability rus at tests 1 & 2 and then the "real car", which was supposed to be "very different", was going to debut at test 3 to work on performance.

The new car did NOT arrive at test 3- parts barely made it to Barcelona the second day of test 4 and the "very different" car amounted to the same old car with updates...just like everyone else.

Also- unless you consider last years repeated statements of a "step forward" to really mean a step sideways or backward (at least for the first half of the season) then we must define "spot on" a little differently.
That was the initial W02 plan. Then due to cooling issues, as the team stated, the updates came a test later. The plan was still to do reliability checks first and performance testing last, which is what they did.
Honda!

marcush.
marcush.

They bought some time with nice presentations and plans how to give the ship the direction needed .
but now they face delivery date....and in case they are snapping at Red Bulls heels no problem in case the 2 seconds are reality they are done.
the big question is:will mercedes drop the entire idea and go back to an engine supply only(maybe with RedBull?) or will it be a total regroup and try to get things sorted the german way...

ringo

If everything is honky doory and they set the car up right.
I have a feeling it will only run well until the fuel reaches a certain level.
Their car wasn't very consistent in winter testing. It got a nice setup that gave them some speed for a couple days, but this is after running on the same track over and over for hours.
Just like last year, i think the car will have some speed and be in a sweet spot for only a limited time.
When the race gets drawn out the car will fade into obscurity.

They should have went with a longer car.
Depending on the exhaust to get the flow round their bulging sidepods is an Achilles heel too. The other teams dont depend on the exhuast to compensate for the car's shape, they only get extra performance that doesn't totally transform the car when it's not blowing or blowing less.
The W02 is a different car round the rear any time that ehxaust plays a different tune.

High radiator halves are also a concern for tyre wear, with their high COG.
For Sure!!

Morteza

marcush. wrote: the big question is:will mercedes drop the entire idea and go back to an engine supply only(maybe with RedBull?) or will it be a total regroup and try to get things sorted the german way...

That is exactly what I've been thinking about for quite a while now. The question is why they bought Brawn GP in the first place. Was it because of them winning both championships or it was because they were so desperate to separate their way from McLaren? I do not think that Mercedes people in Stuttgart can tolerate another year of being unsuccessful. Other teams this year like Renault and Williams have come up with some innovations. W02 is just a plain car. It is obvious this team lacks expertise. It seems that BAR/Honda staff are still available there. If Mercedes wants to be successful in F1, they must take action in regrouping the team. We have to wait and see what will happen.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dren

Morteza AMG wrote:
marcush. wrote: the big question is:will mercedes drop the entire idea and go back to an engine supply only(maybe with RedBull?) or will it be a total regroup and try to get things sorted the german way...

That is exactly what I've been thinking about for quite a while now. The question is why they bought Brawn GP in the first place. Was it because of them winning both championships or it was because they were so desperate to separate their way from McLaren? I do not think that Mercedes people in Stuttgart can tolerate another year of being unsuccessful. Other teams this year like Renault and Williams have come up with some innovations. W02 is just a plain car. It is obvious this team lacks expertise. It seems that BAR/Honda staff are still available there. If Mercedes wants to be successful in F1, they must take action in regrouping the team. We have to wait and see what will happen.
Mercedes got a relatively good deal on the team. I think they will stick around.
Honda!

Lindz

ringo wrote:They should have went with a longer car.
Depending on the exhaust to get the flow round their bulging sidepods is an Achilles heel too. The other teams dont depend on the exhuast to compensate for the car's shape, they only get extra performance that doesn't totally transform the car when it's not blowing or blowing less.
The W02 is a different car round the rear any time that ehxaust plays a different tune.

High radiator halves are also a concern for tyre wear, with their high COG.
+1. Baffling that they made such a short wheelbase car. It was proven at least a few seasons ago that a long-ish car is beneficial if only because you have more room to play with when controlling the air.

The drag penalty of the extra surface area is minimal, especially when Mercedes could have actually kept the same body, added a longer floor/gearbox and gotten much more flow to the diffuser/beam wing. That's without even changing the mechanical layout to one more suited for a long wheelbase.

They've designed a short stubby body with a long high nose. So the front of the car is designed to get as much air as possible under the floor and around the sidepods... but the rear is bulbous and forces the airflow into tight areas. Like you said, they have to 'waste' their exhaust energy to help energize the flow arounf the sidepods when they should utilize this for added benefit (blown floor or blown diffuser). The car still seems 'patched' together.