Exhaust Blown Floor - Forward Exhaust Exit

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Exhaust Blown Floor - Forward Exhaust Exit

One thing i have read about the FEE, the thing is quite weighty as a whole and thus Renault with Petrov runs no ballast as they are just over the 640KG limit, where as the same car with Heidfeld has 4-5KG to play with, and that aint a lot of ballast.

I can see Renault going to a more conventional layout soon, but something that keeps that elegant rear end shape.

ringo

That's surprising.
It's a good thing that weight is in the middle of the car.
For Sure!!

Fil

ESPImperium wrote:One thing i have read about the FEE, the thing is quite weighty as a whole and thus Renault with Petrov runs no ballast as they are just over the 640KG limit, where as the same car with Heidfeld has 4-5KG to play with, and that aint a lot of ballast.

I can see Renault going to a more conventional layout soon, but something that keeps that elegant rear end shape.
:? Source?

Anyone have any idea how much further the exhaust travels in a Renault-spec FEE compared to a RB-spec EBD? Surely it can't be that significant??
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Formula None
Formula None

Was looking at the Harrier jet engine, the nozzles & baffles reminded me of the R31 exhausts.

That's all. Carry on.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

This is supposed to be a technical site. What Ringo has been doing has been about the only technical analysis postings on this site. There are many knowledgeable people who post giving insight to technical issues. There are also many uninformed people who post giving technobabble input. The problem comes when it is on a topic that the reader is not well informed about - trying to distinguish between the valid and the seemingly plausible babble.

Many thanks for the CFD Ringo. It is real engineering analysis and a valuable contribution to this board.

marekk
marekk

ringo wrote:The flow does not go under the floor!!

Still no change.
Nice try ringo, but to be fair you should take into account:

1. Exhaust flow is already bended at the start (15-30 degree, hard to tell from the pictures).
2. Exhaust density and momentum is 2-3 times lower.
3. Exhaust flow is very turbulent.
4. Exhaust is slowed down by hitting airfoil-shaped (heat shield) part of the floor.

Or do you think it doesn't matter ?

Most of the exhaust goes under the floor.

Best proof ?

There is no downforce gain from blowing wide to the sides, just drag reduction, if any. And lap time is definitely downforce limited. No doubt about it.
This car is quick, even with added weight of structures/pipes/fuel, loss engine power and not optimal packaging.
The flow radiates outward from the centre of the car and only bows back in when it reaches the wheel
I see lot of flow lines starting at floor's leading edge, going outwards and then inwards, to the diffuser, turnig way before high pressure area in front of rear wheel. Are we talking about the same picture ?

And can you explain how
...[this flow] is being screened of by the fast moving inflow comming in from the splitter.
I tought it will be sucked into low pressure area created by fast moving inflow, like all other fluids do.

marekk
marekk

tok-tokkie wrote:This is supposed to be a technical site. What Ringo has been doing has been about the only technical analysis postings on this site. There are many knowledgeable people who post giving insight to technical issues. There are also many uninformed people who post giving technobabble input. The problem comes when it is on a topic that the reader is not well informed about - trying to distinguish between the valid and the seemingly plausible babble.

Many thanks for the CFD Ringo. It is real engineering analysis and a valuable contribution to this board.
Technical discussion site, to be precise. Anyone is free to have private threads with one publisher and many reader, if he want.
With +15 years background in amateur aviation and solid physics knowledge my feeling is i can contribute something.
I could be of course wrong with my speculations (and i'm quite sure i am when it comes to the very details), i don't pretend to know more then maybe 5% of what real aero guys hired by f1 teams know. But it makes fun anyway just to try to find the answers.
I suppose ringo is doing exactly the same, having lot of fun, and doesn't need such "technical" help.

marekk
marekk

One more interesting video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Td_jVhYMt0[/youtube]

R = "jet" speed / external speed.

wesley123
wesley123

ESPImperium wrote:One thing i have read about the FEE, the thing is quite weighty as a whole and thus Renault with Petrov runs no ballast as they are just over the 640KG limit, where as the same car with Heidfeld has 4-5KG to play with, and that aint a lot of ballast.

To be honest i doubt that it is that much, I cannot understand how an exhaust(and other parts to accomodate it) can weight an estimated 80kg. I sure belive it adds a lot of weight and due to the raised radiator the CoG is raised a bit, but such an amount that you can barely run ballast seems doubtful to me
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

marekk wrote:
ringo wrote:The flow does not go under the floor!!

Still no change.
Nice try ringo, but to be fair you should take into account:

1. Exhaust flow is already bended at the start (15-30 degree, hard to tell from the pictures).
2. Exhaust density and momentum is 2-3 times lower.
3. Exhaust flow is very turbulent.
4. Exhaust is slowed down by hitting airfoil-shaped (heat shield) part of the floor.

Or do you think it doesn't matter ?
I included the density in the calculation. And it still doesn't tell the whole story becuase their are density changes, then the boundary layer is nowhere near the flow as it is on the floor, a few cm back and very short in height.

All these things you are now accepting, which you didn't accept before are all considered in the CFD. It's not like i wrote the code for the program.

What you also fail to realize is that the barge board deflects most of the cross flow air any way so the paper cannot directly apply. The incidence angle wont be 15 degrees.
I just used the paper to show you that what you were saying is not true, even with that data.

Best proof ?

There is no downforce gain from blowing wide to the sides, just drag reduction, if any. And lap time is definitely downforce limited. No doubt about it.
This car is quick, even with added weight of structures/pipes/fuel, loss engine power and not optimal packaging.

Have you been reading the thread? :)
There is a considerable down-force gain at the front of the floor and generally under the floor, because the effective size has been increased by blowing to the sides. The pipes are making a skirt around the floor, while entraining air from the splitter area. That theory is holding very well from it's inception.

And can you explain how
...[this flow] is being screened of by the fast moving inflow comming in from the splitter.
I tought it will be sucked into low pressure area created by fast moving inflow, like all other fluids do.
Flow lines cannot be crossed, they can only be moved or destroyed by an impinging flow. As it is the exhuast flow is not strong enough to divert the flow that is already established under the car. It's better off influencing the weaker wake behind the front wheel.

As to why there is no inflow to the floor from the sides, The sidepods have low pressure flow to the side of them, then there is the wheel wake. Secondly even on plane wings the low pressure flow goes outwardly. The inflow is usually just at the edges, it doesn't engulf the whole undercarriage. If it did the car would lose all down-force.
The floor also has a T shape, so there are many things why prediction and rules of thumb don't help much.
For Sure!!

Raptor22
Raptor22

and still you do not consider the splitter detail...

ringo

the splitter is a difficult one. The car is so dark in colour that the splitter detail is not clear. but it does have a noticable effect on the FEE.

Is this thing getting more horizontal?
Malaysia:

and is that a lip at the end of the pipe?
Australia:

Seems to have about 3.5mm thickness of refractory. That could be where the added weight is coming from?
For Sure!!

marekk
marekk

So many words ...

Let's try with a picture.

@ringo: i've said many times in this thread, i don't buy this virtual skirts theory. A little to virtual for me, by looking at the pictures of mixed flow.

marekk
marekk

@ ringo:

any comments on this one:

Please note: right tyre's smoke going out of diffuser center.

strad

why do you assume that is tire smoke?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss