Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
volarchico
volarchico

Re: Mercedes GP W02

How are the gills above the exhaust legal? :?

Rikhart
Rikhart

wesley123 wrote:
Ganxxta wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:The more I compare to other pics, I believe it is just a reflection or sorts.
Compare the pics posted by siskue2005, those shots were taken from completely different directions, but both have exactly the same "reflection" on exactly the same position? Come on :roll:
If you look good you can clearly see the reflection of the metal bar holding the parts...
And if you look extra-good, you can see the reflection is curved, that part is concave.

Ferraripilot

Regardless of if it's a reflection, that area of the sidepod is a little more concave than I first believed it to be.

Rikhart
Rikhart

edit.

ringo

looks desperate :P

Nice idea though, not sure if its supposed to act as a little pocket to back up pressure into.
I guess they have enough straight line speed to waste.

This thing seems to be a cheap way to improve down-force indeed.
The drag penalty on the side pod is very small, almost negligible, though after the indentation there is a turbulent region, which may be stalled.
That region is not really critical, especially with the exhuast blowing nearby.

In isolation the increase may be 3% for sidepod alone. For the whole car it's much less.
Desperation for the last drop indeed. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ringo on 07 Apr 2011, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I'm pretty sure that was always there. The reflections just make it look more concave.

Here's some comparison
http://photos.gpupdate.net/large/171899.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ringo

true, though these may be slightly deeper.
Merc may be more confident with cooling now, so they can bang in those dents a little more.
For Sure!!

zgred

xpensive
xpensive

Thanks Z. The lack of attewtion to detail is again painfully obvious.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ferraripilot

xpensive wrote:Thanks Z. The lack of attewtion to detail is again painfully obvious.

I'm just curious of your interpretation. No harm intended, but how so? I'm not seeing painfully obvious or even obvious but I am curious to learn.

Morteza

Ferraripilot wrote:
xpensive wrote:Thanks Z. The lack of attewtion to detail is again painfully obvious.

I'm just curious of your interpretation. No harm intended, but how so? I'm not seeing painfully obvious or even obvious but I am curious to learn.
I believe he means everything looks plain and simple. Everything is not as complicated as a Red Bull let's say. On a Red Bull for example, the front wing has a more complicated structure along with tiny parts and details. In Mercedes' case it is the exact opposite. This is what I understand from what Xpensive has mentioned.

Sorry X for answering what was asked from you.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Morteza AMG wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:

I believe he means everything looks plain and simple. Everything is not as complicated as a Red Bull let's say. On a Red Bull for example, the front wing has a more complicated structure along with tiny parts and details. In Mercedes' case it is the exact opposite. This is what I understand from what Xpensive has mentioned.

Sorry X for answering what was asked from you.
sometimes though the simplest looking things are hardest to engineer....

Ferraripilot

It seems they and Mclaren to an extent are the only teams not taking the Red Bull approach other than pull rod rear suspension. It's a short and wide car with the weight more centered and it looks nothing like the Red Bull. I like that school of thought and hope they do well with their innovation because no one will be able to Red Bull quite like Red Bull. MB is trying to do their own thing so perhaps in a couple years that will in fact be the way to go and everyone will then attempt to copy them. F1 is cyclical like this.

The wings appear to be the only somewhat bland items on the car to me. Everything else is incredibly fresh compared to what we have been seeing the past couple years. I just don't see plain and boring with no detail on this car. Just look at the sidepods alone. Who has sidepods like that, with double radiators like that! Neat. Just my opinion though

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

I am afraid, after today's free practice, that Merc are nowhere near the expectations.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

bot6
bot6

I'm not so sure. It depends on the expectations you had.

They look a bit faster than Renault and maybe 0.5 seconds slower than McLaren, 0.7 seconds slower than Red Bull...

That's pretty much what I expected. And I think the W02 has more room for development than the Red Bull, as the RB7 is already quite an optimized design.