Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Dragonfly wrote:I am afraid, after today's free practice, that Merc are nowhere near the expectations.
Really? Did you expect a 1-2 after FP1 and 2? Mercedes are 3rd quickest based on practice times. This is progress in terms of where they were before.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90507
More could have been done.
David Purley

volarchico
volarchico

madly wrote:Image
Same question from before...how is this legal? I don't see any small slits connecting the exhaust to the gills like they had last year. And this area is outside of the "free zone" near the driver's shoulders...

Hangaku

I can't see how it is legal.

Also, is that a gurney on the leading edge?
Yer.

shamikaze
shamikaze

hollowBallistix wrote: sometimes though the simplest looking things are hardest to engineer....
I think it was Leonardo Da Vinci was has been quoted stating that "simplicity is the ultimate sopfistication".

And in my experience as an engineer, he is right. It is easy to make things complex, large an technical one compensating the other adding bits left-and-right. However, getting it right, effective and efficient wil make it work better for less but requires ultimate focus and total understanding/comprehension of all factors involved.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

This is what scarbs had to say about it:
I can't explain why this or the lotus louvers are allowed. Maybe a clarification on the definition on exhaust apertures?

shelly
shelly

Hangaku wrote:I can't see how it is legal.

I do not know about legality, but I think that if it is not legal some of the other teams would have already signalled that.

About the gourney: it is placed where it is to create a small lower presure zone behind it and with that lower pressure help air extraction from the cooling openings. In the 80s the rally car lancia delta s4 had a very big gurney like that on the front hood befor cooling exit: of course it was not drag-efficient, but in their context where drag was not an issue it was very useful for cooling.

Here we see merc compromising a bit drag for slightly better cooling.
twitter: @armchair_aero

dren

Sounds like both Schumacher and Nico were happy with the progress. They both said the car is closer to what they had in Barcelona. There are still some improvements to come before the race. They look to be in better shape than Ferrari and Renault at the moment.
Honda!

Hangaku

shelly wrote:
Hangaku wrote:I can't see how it is legal.

I do not know about legality, but I think that if it is not legal some of the other teams would have already signalled that.

About the gourney: it is placed where it is to create a small lower presure zone behind it and with that lower pressure help air extraction from the cooling openings. In the 80s the rally car lancia delta s4 had a very big gurney like that on the front hood befor cooling exit: of course it was not drag-efficient, but in their context where drag was not an issue it was very useful for cooling.

Here we see merc compromising a bit drag for slightly better cooling.
Excellent description, thanks :D
Yer.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:I am afraid, after today's free practice, that Merc are nowhere near the expectations.
Really? Did you expect a 1-2 after FP1 and 2? Mercedes are 3rd quickest based on practice times. This is progress in terms of where they were before.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90507
That's my impression.
I'll be very happy if you're right and I am wrong.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Ferraripilot

Looks like progress to me. Mixing in the top 5 is where I expected them. RB and Mcl really are pulling some speed out there

Leon
Leon

"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

siskue2005

for those who asked about the legailty of the Gills above the exhaust

as per the rule teams are allowed to have a fixed amount of area (in mm3 i think) for exhaust opening, so Merc has a smaller exhaust outlet and the rest of the area is used for a gill opening. hence its legal

Morteza

They have closed the slots in the front wing.
Last edited by Morteza on 08 Apr 2011, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

shelly
shelly

I think they are slots, not sluts. Sluts on the front wing could be an intersting concept though
twitter: @armchair_aero

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

OT: :D
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012