McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Looks like they blocked of the radiator here with a cover, testing the cooling no doubt. Unless my eyes are deceiving me ofcourse.

(Right click-view image, for high res)

(Credit to http://www.hunnyf1.com)
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 08 Apr 2011, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

raymondu999

Maybe the car could now survive the same error as in Monaco 2010? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Looks normal to me, except for the gauze-thing on the inlet for KERS cooling.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

mx_tifosi wrote:Looks normal to me, except for the gauze-thing on the inlet for KERS cooling.
You can normally see the fins of the radiator. Here's a launch car image
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 08 Apr 2011, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I suspect it's down to marbles getting stuck in that slot, the same as the brake ducts.

speedsense
speedsense

Coefficient wrote:
l4mbch0ps wrote:
I think you're mad if you think the exhaust system used in melbourne is anything other than "oh hey, RedBull's exhaust is a neat idea and our idea didn't work right yet, lets copy theirs".

Well no offence, but I think you're a little mad to think that a team the size of Mclaren didn't have this design under evaluation before they saw it on the Red Bull. The unification of design doesn't come *solely* from copying - it also comes from disparate groups of people coming to the same conclusions independently.

At the end of the day, the solution they brought to melbourne isn't that different to what they had at Spa last year. You talk as if EBDs are a new thing and everyone is rushing to copy Red Bull. All the big teams have used EBD devices in myriad different forms on numerous cars over the years. Mclaren had it on the 18A actually. To say they hadn't thought of this as an option is foolish because the turn around time to integrate this concept into their car is way too long to just do it on a whim and hope it works. You seem to suggest that taking a few photos of the Red Bull and carving something up in the shed that looks similar would do the trick, that is nonesense!!
This raises a great question, was the octopus actually a device that was planned to be used in competition OR was it just to blow the exhaust on different parts of the diffuser, as a testing device to evaluate the best possible use of the exhaust in the right places?
Maybe the "failure" was only the failure of the testing device but yielded knowledge when it was working. Seems to me that they have many "hydraulic" and "exhaust" failures. Maybe the hydraulics where operating the octopus to open valving blowing the exhaust in different areas thus allowing differences per each lap of the areas being blown.
Just maybe Mclaren has gained an insight that Red Bull doesn't have??? The progression through the season will be telling And if the device actually gets run in competition at some point.....
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

granted I was half asleep this morning watching FP3, but i'm sure both he McLaren cars are now sporting the Titanium Diffuser again

myurr
myurr

hollowBallistix wrote:granted I was half asleep this morning watching FP3, but i'm sure both he McLaren cars are now sporting the Titanium Diffuser again
Yup, commentators just confirmed it. Apparently they didn't like the new carbon fibre one.

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Interesting too that they believe that their running more downforce compared to RBR & Ferrari

Be really interesting to see how this pans out !

kalinka
kalinka

Must be fearsome for RBR what McL has done in just few weeks. That's an awesome development pace.

adrianjordan

speedsense wrote: This raises a great question, was the octopus actually a device that was planned to be used in competition OR was it just to blow the exhaust on different parts of the diffuser, as a testing device to evaluate the best possible use of the exhaust in the right places?
Maybe the "failure" was only the failure of the testing device but yielded knowledge when it was working. Seems to me that they have many "hydraulic" and "exhaust" failures. Maybe the hydraulics where operating the octopus to open valving blowing the exhaust in different areas thus allowing differences per each lap of the areas being blown.
Just maybe Mclaren has gained an insight that Red Bull doesn't have??? The progression through the season will be telling And if the device actually gets run in competition at some point.....
You raise a very interesting point and one that I think fits well with the sort of testing philosophy we have seen from McLaren where they seem to focus as much on data acquisition as outright performance.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

thestig84
thestig84

kalinka wrote:Must be fearsome for RBR what McL has done in just few weeks. That's an awesome development pace.
A great performance in qualy today but it showed they havent pulled it out the bag with the revised floor again though. Practice 2 showed T1E (the new floor) was slightly better than the old one but its was a smaller difference than expected so they returned to the tried and tested one.

Just have to make sure the rushed floor that performed well was not a one off and future developments deliver on promises. Malaysia hasnt quite proved that.

Javert

thestig84 wrote:
kalinka wrote:Must be fearsome for RBR what McL has done in just few weeks. That's an awesome development pace.
A great performance in qualy today but it showed they havent pulled it out the bag with the revised floor again though. Practice 2 showed T1E (the new floor) was slightly better than the old one but its was a smaller difference than expected so they returned to the tried and tested one.

Just have to make sure the rushed floor that performed well was not a one off and future developments deliver on promises. Malaysia hasnt quite proved that.
So it performed better and McLaren could have been in pole position ... For what God's sake would they bin a pole ?

myurr
myurr

Javert wrote:
thestig84 wrote:

So it performed better and McLaren could have been in pole position ... For what God's sake would they bin a pole ?
Reliability. They had problems last year with the diffuser and floor warping due to the exhaust heat. I'd imagine they want to be sure the same thing wouldn't happen this time.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

[/quote]

This raises a great question, was the octopus actually a device that was planned to be used in competition OR was it just to blow the exhaust on different parts of the diffuser, as a testing device to evaluate the best possible use of the exhaust in the right places?
Just maybe Mclaren has gained an insight that Red Bull doesn't have??? The progression through the season will be telling And if the device actually gets run in competition at some point.....[/quote]

This is facinating and puts a new spin on the entire winter testing programme. =D> All very plausable.