McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gray41

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

I think if your quick here your quick everywhere
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Button is quick in a good car & slow in a poor car. This looks like a very good car.

I have thought from the beginning of testing that the MP4-26 radiators are placed in the slipstream of the front wheels so when they are slipstreaming another car their cooling will hardly be affected at all. This race is set up for seeing if my thoughts are true.

raymondu999

If you're talking only about the wake, yes, that would be mostly true (except for the part of the sidepods which are at the _ of L (if that makes sense, its the part that is exposed to open air and not tyres) but you have to remember that dirty air is VERY hot, with all the exhausts blowing into that air, so definitely there will be a bit of effect, still
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

thestig84
thestig84

volarchico wrote:Since both drivers reverted back to the "old titanium" floor, what improvements did they make to the MP4-26 to close the gap so much to the RB7?
They had an improved exhaust vector. Cant see the differences from any pictures but it is changed from Aus I promise!

twoshots
twoshots

thestig84 wrote:
volarchico wrote:Since both drivers reverted back to the "old titanium" floor, what improvements did they make to the MP4-26 to close the gap so much to the RB7?
They had an improved exhaust vector. Cant see the differences from any pictures but it is changed from Aus I promise!
I'm pretty sure it's a Melbourne spec exhaust/diffuser. They aren't running the new spec they brought as the drivers didn't 'like it'.

zgred

jamesalexw
jamesalexw

twoshots wrote:
thestig84 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's a Melbourne spec exhaust/diffuser. They aren't running the new spec they brought as the drivers didn't 'like it'.
Exhaust vector would refer to the direction the exhaust points, the diffuser would not need to change.

zgred

shelly
shelly

The two floor spec seem very difffernt from each other. I find interesting the openings and the meatl protection before rear whells of the floor in the below picture
twitter: @armchair_aero

Rudex
Rudex

Pedro DLR said at the end of gp Mclaren didnt get pace with the new diffuser they brought to Malaysia. So in China will try again.

adrianjordan

zgred wrote:Image

McLaren taking the art of bringing parts in your hand luggage to a new level..!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ringo

There is something worth protecting, but it's not really critical.
There is some freedom with the shape of the floor lying on the reference plane.

That very much affects the down-force the floor creates and the efficiency of it.

Those tapers near the front and the taper round the back (that form the shape on the reference plane) are the only things on the bottom of the floor itself that may differ across teams. If you can't put a ruler to it, then it's harmless to show the shape on the plane.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

At least one of them appears to be the "octopus floor" - it's got the metal ducts in the outer zone of the floor.

There are some intriguing cut outs in both floors. The "octopus floor" has one side cut out on the inside of the metal duct. The other floor has large cut outs inside the rear wheel locations. This may be where the titanium rear section fits in...?

I think those shots are very interesting and would love to see decent hi-res versions for a good detailed look.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Just_a_fan wrote:At least one of them appears to be the "octopus floor" - it's got the metal ducts in the outer zone of the floor.

There are some intriguing cut outs in both floors. The "octopus floor" has one side cut out on the inside of the metal duct. The other floor has large cut outs inside the rear wheel locations. This may be where the titanium rear section fits in...?

I think those shots are very interesting and would love to see decent hi-res versions for a good detailed look.
There is no cut-out in the floor next to the metal panelling

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

hollowBallistix wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:At least one of them appears to be the "octopus floor" - it's got the metal ducts in the outer zone of the floor.

There is no cut-out in the floor next to the metal panelling
http://www.formula1.com/wi/1300x968/sut ... al1464.jpg
Difficult to tell from this shot. Could be a different surface finish (which is interesting of itself because it's only on one side of the car) or it's a hole with the bubble wrap behind it (and partially in front too).

Also looking at the opposite side of the car, this area is a slightly different shade and appears to have a definite line around it.

I suppose they might be replaceable panels (due to the heat warping them) or they're trying different coatings (for the same reason).

Either way, there is interest there because of the variations...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.