Flexible wings 2011

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
marekk
marekk

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

tok-tokkie wrote:
Formula None wrote: Did anyone else notice a support was added to the RB7's t tray?
That little support failed on Webber's car during the race.
Bi-state aero device ? :)

You know - designed to whitstand FIA test load, but breaks by design after hitting first kerb on the track.

Just joking.

Lindz

Re: Flexible wings 2011

malcolm wrote:Note: to the "bridging the gap" people... Getting a piece of bodywork close to the ground isn't bridging the gap. Having it occasionally touch the ground isn't bridging any gaps. Installing a sliding skirt that always rubs the ground is bridging the gap.

Like what someone else said 20 pages ago, what good is a bridge if it only goes most of the way?

Also, I agree with Lindz... Stiff heave, soft roll-bar; this allows for mechanical balance but resists squatting at high speeds to keep the front wing low. It's the sum of a moderately flexible wing, moderately flexible nose, soft front heave, stiff rear heave and lots of rake... this allows the front of the car to drop further from static rake settings, and the increased ground effect further flexing the wing closer to the ground. If it was any one thing, another team would have copied, but like a few other team bosses said, it is an entire design direction that you would need to go toward to make any of it work.
Yup. The devil is in the details, and the sum of all those parts is what makes the RB7 work well.

The McLaren for instance is designed around a different principle so simply adding rake to it won't necessarily make it better. I actually doubt that if any other teams tried to simply 'add rake' they will see much benefit without redesigning most of their car.

Newey thinking outside of the box... and like I said: the rake was part of the design from the beginning.

WhiteBlue

McLaren should give it a rest with their front wing comments.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

HampusA

This is more then 2cm of flexing at the very edges.

The truth will come out...

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

WhiteBlue wrote:McLaren should give it a rest with their front wing comments.
Yes, I agree it the moaning is boring, a bit like the constant bashing of Ferrari that goes on.

Team bosses bitching about other teams always goes on and is part of all sport aimed at unsettling the opposition. No one in their right mind would pay heed to it.

Lindz

HampusA wrote:This is more then 2cm of flexing at the very edges.

[img]http://xmages.net/storage/10/1/0/0/9/up ... 25.gif[img]
Just because you say that doesn't make it fact. How did you arrive at that conclusion? Guess? Estimate? Hardly concrete evidence acquired by applying the scientific method...

Anyways, even if it is more than 20mm (it PROBABLY is, based on an ESTIMATION from the photos), where is there a rule that says 'during full speed and maximum aerodynamic load, the wing cannot flex more than 20mm'? The rule is that it cannot flex more than 20mm when 100kg per endplate is applied in a static controlled environment.

If you need explanation on HOW they are able to get the wing to LEGALLY flex more than other teams, you obviously haven't been reading this thread.

kalinka
kalinka

Lindz wrote:Anyways, even if it is more than 20mm (it PROBABLY is, based on an ESTIMATION from the photos), where is there a rule that says 'during full speed and maximum aerodynamic load, the wing cannot flex more than 20mm'? The rule is that it cannot flex more than 20mm when 100kg per endplate is applied in a static controlled environment. If you need explanation on HOW they are able to get the wing to LEGALLY flex more than other teams, you obviously haven't been reading this thread.
Yes, but there is another rule too, and if you're reading this forum from the beginning you know what I mean, so stop this thing. There's no loophole in regulations for this, it's just they found a way to cheat the test. It's my opinion, but you can find opinions amongst your and mine way too as much as you want. There'll be always arguments along these two regulations, and we can't argue much more, until FIA change the test method.

As for video evidence, there is number of examples when there was no other evidence, and FIA banned things based on these videos. Even there wasn't any attempt to measure things on video footages, it was enough to see that something is flexing....so there's my ( and others' ) problem with this situation. But there are explanations and examples in this thread for this. But it's nor worth to write this down here 1000 times pro-contra.

Lindz

kalinka wrote:
Lindz wrote:Anyways, even if it is more than 20mm (it PROBABLY is, based on an ESTIMATION from the photos), where is there a rule that says 'during full speed and maximum aerodynamic load, the wing cannot flex more than 20mm'? The rule is that it cannot flex more than 20mm when 100kg per endplate is applied in a static controlled environment. If you need explanation on HOW they are able to get the wing to LEGALLY flex more than other teams, you obviously haven't been reading this thread.
Yes, but there is another rule too, and if you're reading this forum from the beginning you know what I mean, so stop this thing. There's no loophole in regulations for this, it's just they found a way to cheat the test. It's my opinion, but you can find opinions amongst your and mine way too as much as you want. There'll be always arguments along these two regulations, and we can't argue much more, until FIA change the test method.

As for video evidence, there is number of examples when there was no other evidence, and FIA banned things based on these videos. Even there wasn't any attempt to measure things on video footages, it was enough to see that something is flexing....so there's my ( and others' ) problem with this situation. But there are explanations and examples in this thread for this. But it's nor worth to write this down here 1000 times pro-contra.
If you're so confident that you've found how Red Bull are breaking the rules (and surprisingly the whole of the F1 Paddock have missed it) then stop speaking so vaguely.

Video evidence? Is used to bring light to an area that is possibly in breach. If that area has no regulations (such as a flexible rear wing which would close a slot gap under load) then the video evidence is used to change the part or add/amend new regulations. In the case that the part is videotaped possibly breaching an existing regulation, the part is re-tested very carefully and thoroughly to the definition of the regulation. Such as a wing that is not allowed to move (no movable aero devices) but it is allowed to flex (20mm under 100kg load at endplate). This in itself is conflicting, since flexing is movement. But the spirit of the movable aero rule is against 'powered' or controlled devices. Flex is a natural occurrence since nothing is ever completely rigid. The rule defines the allowed flex at prescribed weight, but says nothing about higher-than-prescribed weight. I assume that their thinking was that any higher-than-mandated load on the wing would come with an increased drag penalty such that it wouldn't be worth restricting. They obviously know about the loophole, and they are obviously fine with it. Just like a DDD.

So...

You think it's breaching the reference plane? Or the 75mm above reference plane mandated for a static wing? If the reference plane intersects the ground, something can touch the ground without breaking the reference plane. Likewise, the wing is able to legally flex 20mm with a 100kg load, making it 55mm above reference plane. How much is legal with more load? It's not defined. There is no precedent for deflection with higher-than-100kg load on the endplates.

The geometry of the RB7 with it's rake is such that the reference plane is under the ground plane at speed, so while the wing is flexing at it's maximum and it's close to the ground, it's still higher than the reference plane and possibly even the 55mm height (20mm deflection). Again, if it's flexing more with more load, there is no limit against that.

You think the wing is a device whose sole purpose is to bridge the gap between floor and ground plane? It clearly is not. That rule is referring to skirts and other movable pieces that would CONSTANTLY be in contact with the ground, thus creating a bridge. A bridge is something that can reliably and consistently cross an obstacle, is it not? A wing the flexes and occasionally come CLOSE to the ground is in no way designed to be a bridge, nor is it consistent enough to be considered as such.

That takes care of 3.15 and 3.17, the supposed smoking guns in this case.

It clearly passes the FIA's load tests and nobody in the paddock (besides perhaps Lewis Hamilton) nor the FIA have publicly stated that they think this wing is illegal.

Add to the fact that I, amongst many others, have proposed numerous legal and rational explanations of how they are achieving the flex and proximity to the ground (rake, rear suspension heave, front heave, aero load, AoA, suction from ground effect, construction techniques, advanced computer modeling programs), and I still find it thick that people are still arguing the legality of this. At least bot6 and a few others from the original start of the thread were bringing up rules in which it may be breaching and some of us were searching to see if they were in fact being breached or if not, how it was circumvented. It was exploratory and fun and I think between all the banter and theories, we've actually learned quite a bit about the RB7.

kalinka
kalinka

Lindz, no offence meant, but all of that you said an all of I said is written down countless times here in this thread, and I think we can't argue any more, because we're stalled here. So it's pointless for me and you to write it down again and again. I can understand your point of view, but you don't bother to think of other's arguments.

quote="Lindz"]If you're so confident that you've found how Red Bull are breaking the rules (and surprisingly the whole of the F1 Paddock have missed it) then stop speaking so vaguely.[/quote]

I don't know HOW they're breaking it ( and I never said that I know ), but it's clear that they're braking it. Well done, good job, credits to RBR, but it's unfair. I can't back up the idea that now it's time for every team to develop it's own flexi-wing.
As for other examples in the past, FIA has introduced a test to stop this occurences and it was SUCCESFUL. In this case it wasn't. Obviously the test fails to stop the flexing, and I think it's not an excuse for FIA.
Lindz wrote:Add to the fact that I, amongst many others, have proposed numerous legal and rational explanations of how they are achieving the flex and proximity to the ground (rake, rear suspension heave, front heave, aero load, AoA, suction from ground effect, construction techniques, advanced computer modeling programs), and I still find it thick that people are still arguing the legality of this.
If it's nothing illegal in a wing that's scraping the ground, then why would FIA test it anyway ? Then why bother to introduce test of FW bending, and why there are rules for the amount of bending ? We're not debating here how close the RBR's wing is to the ground. It's about FLEXING of the ends. If the whole wing is close to the ground evenly, at every point, then it's OK, I can't see any breach of rules there, you can achieve it in various ways as you described. But it's bending at the end, and it bends more than allowed, and here's my problem.

Again, I respect your opinion, it's just my frustration seeing FIA doing this, that makes me argue with you. We see the rules differently,and that's it, I'm not offending you here personally, and I never will. I'm just getting this feeling that all is said on either sides, and we can't do much more to convince the other side.

Lindz

I know what you're saying and we're arguing from 2 different sides basically arriving to the same conclusion (with different wording). The FIA have structured and enforced the rules so that this isn't 'illegal' (as in it's not breaking any rule).

You and many others think it's against the spirit of the rules and the FIA are incompetent in policing it. I and many other think that it's an 'allowable' loophole that the FIA has no intention of closing (with regard to how Red Bull are exploiting it).

kalinka wrote:If it's nothing illegal in a wing that's scraping the ground, then why would FIA test it anyway ? Then why bother to introduce test of FW bending, and why there are rules for the amount of bending ? We're not debating here how close the RBR's wing is to the ground. It's about FLEXING of the ends. If the whole wing is close to the ground evenly, at every point, then it's OK, I can't see any breach of rules there, you can achieve it in various ways as you described. But it's bending at the end, and it bends more than allowed, and here's my problem.

Again, I respect your opinion, it's just my frustration seeing FIA doing this, that makes me argue with you. We see the rules differently,and that's it, I'm not offending you here personally, and I never will. I'm just getting this feeling that all is said on either sides, and we can't do much more to convince the other side.
Agree to disagree. The FIA are testing the wings not to eliminate flex, but to make sure they don't flex 'too much'. That's what the test is for. The FIA have said "wings can flex this amount under this much weight". Everybody's wing complies to that. The way Red Bull decide to run their car, the wing sees more load and the wing flexes more than others. We don't know if the drag penalty is super high for doing this. It may well be, but it has such a positive effect on the other elements downstream that it's worthwhile.

I agree it's a loophole of sorts (it's clear). But it's legal to the letter of the law, and that doesn't look to be changing soon (for better or for worse).

My apologies if I was being a bit brash.

marcush.
marcush.

The FIA has taken a clear standpoint to not look further as the static load tests.
Clearly some teams had expected either the Bulls would not flex anymore or FIA would not accept a situation as last season and take action if it happened again.
So now Mercedes and others need to gear up as quickly as possible to produce flexi bits that pass the current load tests.

I think RedBulls has also a different interpretation of the placement of the car relative to the reference plane/stepplane , taking advantage of the tolerances allowance of +/-3mm.

Flanker27
Flanker27

kalinka
kalinka

Lindz wrote:My apologies if I was being a bit brash.
No, it's OK, we're both frustrated, and that's what IMHO is FIA's blame. You basically get the whole audience frustrated because of the situation. One side beacuse of the constant debate over the legality, other side because of the flexing...so it's not good for anyone. It'll be even better to scrap the whole test of FW, and allow as much flexing as they want.

Edit : @Flanker27 -> It's not a good explanation. In those animations, the whole FW is moving down, and you see no flexing. In real life, only the FW endplates are scraping the ground, and not the whole wing. It's only an explanation for lower front ride height.
We're talking about this is being too much ( Scarbs blog ):

Or this (Aus,2011) :

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Darren Heaths Photo should be presented to Horner.

I would love to hear his 2 cents worth on this being all down to "rake" :lol:
More could have been done.
David Purley

ecapox

I firmly believe that they have managed to create a very low pressure area underneath the wing. This is the only way they can beat the static FIA test AND have a flexing wing.

Either way, it is very clever and you cant fault them for that.