Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Thursday in Shanghai :

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

N12ck

Budding F1 Engineer

Ferraripilot

N12ck wrote:what do you make of this : http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... ign=racing

Heavy words no doubt and he might be right, but I can't imagine all to be completely lost at this stage. It's times like this when MB really needs to prove their engineering worth and make lemonade from this lemon.

bot6
bot6

I wouldn't read too much into that article, just quoting one sentence out of context doesn't mean anything.

Those pictures from Morteza are interesting: apparently they have the Mark II wing here (single cascade and slots on the lower plane).

That exhaust hole on the lower picture looks a lot like the system they were running in Barcelona. Are you sure it's a picture from today? That looks a lot like the old testing floor to me.

3one
3one

Morteza AMG wrote:Thursday in Shanghai :

Looks like i was right they're trying on the Mk II wing (with holes)...
Maybe they did the high rear setup and gained a few DF points this time...

We just have to verify if there are any other pics on this...

About the link, i think the short wheelbase is not really that bad, they just have to find a way to replace those double decker radiators to something like the one used by Torro Rosso (small compact package), then snake the exhaust to the rear maybe a rear blown design...

Also no matter what aero design they go for they still have to first optimize the mechanical grip at slow speed... Aero for high speed, Mechanical for slow speed... Having the best aero is nothing if your sluggish in slow turns...

jav
jav

N12ck wrote:what do you make of this : http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... ign=racing

Misguided in my view other than as yet another indictement of the current design staffs decisions. I think someone like Newey with the factory development pace of McLaren could improve the existing W02 to meet this years goals. I don't believe the current Merc design staff/factory can do this in time to make any significant difference to the season standings- nor do I believe they can develop a significantly better car even if they start now. A conclusion supported by this past years effort.

Very curious that Bob Bell is still absent.
Last edited by jav on 14 Apr 2011, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

kenji8

ringo

they need to slap a 150mm spacer between gearbox and engine. :lol:

These desperate attempts to cool the car are obvious. I really hope there is a break through.
For Sure!!

raymondu999

Is the FW actually touching the camera mountings? :shock:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ferraripilot

raymondu999 wrote:Is the FW actually touching the camera mountings? :shock:

No. I suspect the current front wing still has more downforce than that of the rear end can handle! It looks so simple compared to the others, but the rear end is just not there for any more I bet :(

I agree with the other poster that they can pull it out, but not in enough time to make a big difference. If anything it will be a good indicator for next season of if they can essentially pick up where the left off.

jav
jav

it's good to see they are trying something but those mods look like they were done by a guy with a dremel tool in the container- on the ship, in heavy sea's.

I just noticed the 4 rear brake duct trailing fins... are these new?

3one
3one

ringo wrote:they need to slap a 150mm spacer between gearbox and engine. :lol:

These desperate attempts to cool the car are obvious. I really hope there is a break through.
Yeah.. mostly looks like hand cut vents... Hope this helps them big time... Though the weather there is way lower than malaysia so we might see some improvement on their side...

bot6
bot6

The gills on the side of the cockpit are back

bot6
bot6

And a nice little measuring device on the rear wing...

Who wants to guess what that little thing is?

mantikos
mantikos

jav wrote:it's good to see they are trying something but those mods look like they were done by a guy with a dremel tool in the container- on the ship, in heavy sea's.

I just noticed the 4 rear brake duct trailing fins... are these new?

Yes last minute mods, hopefully they'll help...and I am sure in the Eurpean leg they'll get factory made fresh and neat mods...
those fins do look new...that should help the rear end DF