Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Mercedes GP W02

bot6 wrote:And a nice little measuring device on the rear wing...

Who wants to guess what that little thing is?
I don't have a good perspective on the pic you posted above, where exactly is that on the car?
And no clue what the device is, perhaps to measure airflow/pressure?!

bot6
bot6

It's on the rear wing endplate, just where the mechanism for the DRS is. I'm thinking pressure sensor for the hydraulic actuator maybe? To check if it works properly?

A lot of things on this car seem to be coming straight back from the Barça testing package. Floor, gills on the side of the cockpit, ...

Maybe they are finally reverting to what worked in order to start from there?

mantikos
mantikos

bot6 wrote:It's on the rear wing endplate, just where the mechanism for the DRS is. I'm thinking pressure sensor for the hydraulic actuator maybe? To check if it works properly?

A lot of things on this car seem to be coming straight back from the Barça testing package. Floor, gills on the side of the cockpit, ...

Maybe they are finally reverting to what worked in order to start from there?

Sorry I meant the other pic...I dunno where that is

bot6
bot6

The other pic is showing the side of the cockpit, right next to the raised bit holding the driver's head.

marcush.
marcush.

Elongating the car ...you really think it´s the reason for their lack of downforce?
0,27x1,6m = 0.4 m² added surface thats in a rough guess the floor is 2000mm long so thats roughly 15 % of area ,the underfloor contributes 30% to the total downforce so we got roughly 5% more downforce...wow easy maths...Who would ever build a short car?

Please forget Stucks blabla ..I don´t think an old fart out of F1 for decades is a useful source for this discussion.
If Willem Toet would air something like this it´s worth to listen ..but then between the lines he seemed to have a few doubts about the Mclaren concept in that internet interview with Windsor and Scarbs..I don´t think these things are more clear cut then Pull or pushrod .....so please don´t start a witchhunt over Wheeelbase.... :mrgreen:

Ferraripilot

marcush. wrote:Elongating the car ...you really think it´s the reason for their lack of downforce?
0,27x1,6m = 0.4 m² added surface thats in a rough guess the floor is 2000mm long so thats roughly 15 % of area ,the underfloor contributes 30% to the total downforce so we got roughly 5% more downforce...wow easy maths...Who would ever build a short car?

Please forget Stucks blabla ..I don´t think an old fart out of F1 for decades is a useful source for this discussion.
If Willem Toet would air something like this it´s worth to listen ..but then between the lines he seemed to have a few doubts about the Mclaren concept in that internet interview with Windsor and Scarbs..I don´t think these things are more clear cut then Pull or pushrod .....so please don´t start a witchhunt over Wheeelbase.... :mrgreen:

Fixing the heat issue to me seems to be the answer to everything, because in fixing this other possibilities open up. The re-routed exhaust manifold could lend itself to a Red Bull exhaust which could then allow for different shaped sidepods, different floor cut, diffuser, and finally a simple and lower CG radiator arrangement.

marcush.
marcush.

It seems common knowledge that those who have erred on the hot side with their thermal management have to open ducts which adds inner flow and causes drag for now real downforce..
The Mercedes had everything opened added some chimneys on the sidepods ,enough to see they are borderline.
On the contrary Mclaren seemed to be without issue and had ,according to Hamilton not to sacrifice downforce to aid cooling..So they should be less affected in china...but who knows? new weekend new reasons for not performing as promised...we need to see race four to make a preliminary asessment ..... :mrgreen:

kenji8

mantikos
mantikos

kenji8 wrote:Image
What was the pt of reposting a pic from the previous page?!
#-o

Ferraripilot

I don't get why they don't horizontally bisect that second element there a la Mclaren. Doing so would keep it from stalling so easy wouldn't it......

Shrek
Shrek

are the camera winglets connected to the front wing?
Spencer

kalinka
kalinka

mantikos wrote:What was the pt of reposting a pic from the previous page?!
Probably that like me, he doesn't see that picture on previos page too. Something's wrong with forum engine, because I can't find this picture neither on page 144 or even 143, but people obviously talking about it, so must be some error.

wesley123
wesley123

No there isnt any of that picture on the last page, i checked it and no sign. If an image cannot load i would have seen it by an small box with 'image' in it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

GTO

Camera wingles connected to FW wouldn't allow ends to flex.

mantikos
mantikos

haha, the pics changed on the previous page...wtf