McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
adrianjordan

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

BreezyRacer wrote:Look at the exit position, the exhaust laid flat, the slot design between the tire and the diffuser box then tell me it's not an exact copy. It is. That's what I'm talking about ..
I think if you omitted the word "exact" you might get less negative responses.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

thestig84
thestig84

BreezyRacer wrote:
I'm just another moron BTW.
Your words not mine!! Sorry but there is clearly a performance advantage from blowing the outer edges of the diffuser (as scarbs said ages ago). Most probably most of the teams will converge on this design. Williams said they will have it in Turkey. For me this is not remotely like copying the F-duct. That was totally original one off idea....this is an exhaust position most teams would end up with anyway.

PlatinumZealot

BreezyRacer wrote:So I guess Newey decided to help his old team, eh? That's an EXACT copy of the RB design, so it's new for this week. Well they say imitation is the sincere-est form of flattery ..

How pathetic the McLaren design staff must feel ..
Yeah, I agree it is an exact copy if you look on the mechanics of it. Down to the triangular undecut off the floor downstream of the exhaust pipe exit was copied.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 15 Apr 2011, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Poleman wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:Look at the exit position, the exhaust laid flat, the slot design between the tire and the diffuser box then tell me it's not an exact copy. It is. That's what I'm talking about ..
I havent seen you moaning about this though...

Is your copying problem related to McLaren only? :?
The Ferrari version is close but it's not the same, because it is missing the triangular undercut downstream of the exhaust. That may be why it is not as effective.

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

This is what I mean, Both redbull and mclaren have this. Ferrari's look much different.

Racing Green in 2028

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Well Red-Bull didn't get that Triangle cut until the 1st race, same time as McLaren. They originally just had a gaping hole:
http://badgergp.com/images/gallery/exha ... d-bull.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PlatinumZealot

Who said it was a big deal? I think you are in the wrong part of the forum if you don't want to talk about the features on the cars. Or do you rather talk about how symmetrical the MP4-26 is? 8)

That triangular undercut is actually a very interesting feature because the inverse (shark teeth) is used on the front splitter.

Racing Green in 2028

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

Last edited by Marco Alves on 15 Apr 2011, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two

Has anyone else noticed that the bit of metalwork behind the exhaust appears to have an inlet underneath it. Could McLaren be allowing some exhaust to bleed into there and pop out somewhere else?

Just something I hadn't noticed before.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

volarchico
volarchico

Has anyone posted a picture of the new front wing? Autosport reported that McLaren was testing their "new front wing and floor" in P2. Did I just miss it with all the moaning about "copying"?

Giblet
Giblet

Things are leaning up in here. Posts not about the car are being split off to here,The OT Car Comparison Thread.

More to come.
Before I do anything I ask myself β€œWould an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

chepoi
chepoi

avatar wrote:@ messrs"EXACT copy"

clearly MCL copied the Red cars instead then!

"Who copied who" is just noise. best ignored. There is copying in F1, there is also inspiration & convergent design.

In fact,there's rarely something that's not been applied in at least a related form in motorsport, but if you're going to expand that to things that have "been around since WW2" (& I'm assuming you're not suggesting there was an F-duct in WW2 era motorsport) then all the cars on the grid are pretty much useless derivitive pieces of crap.

They're not. They are massively intricate engineering achievments. It's about the application of ideas as much as the ideas themselves.

Get over it.
RBR is the one who "copied" McLaren. Example? Steering wheel.. even though it was an idea of Newey, i believe that if you work with company A... and u create a product with company A then.. is that yours or the property of company A? Answering this first before you argue........
:P

Once upon a time....

opsss.... i think i have seen this steering somewhere....

thank you for reading. :lol: 8)

chepoi
chepoi

"Who copied who" is just noise. best ignored. There is copying in F1, there is also inspiration & convergent design.

In fact,there's rarely something that's not been applied in at least a related form in motorsport, but if you're going to expand that to things that have "been around since WW2" (& I'm assuming you're not suggesting there was an F-duct in WW2 era motorsport) then all the cars on the grid are pretty much useless derivitive pieces of crap.

They're not. They are massively intricate engineering achievments. It's about the application of ideas as much as the ideas themselves.

Get over it.
then later in this year.... RBR accused McLaren stole their idea just like Ferrari accused Mclaren.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and... McLaren have to pay another 100 Million!!! :twisted:

speedsense
speedsense

chepoi wrote:

Get over it.
RBR is the one who "copied" McLaren. Example? Steering wheel.. even though it was an idea of Newey, i believe that if you work with company A... and u create a product with company A then.. is that yours or the property of company A? Answering this first before you argue........
:P

Once upon a time....

thank you for reading. :lol: 8)
Good point..though I dont' know, the switches are different, some of the buttons are different, the thumb "forms" are different and even the carbon weave is different..... maybe he gets by the claim on the small things? :lol:
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

onewingedangel
onewingedangel

I thought it has been awknowledged that when Coulthard moved to Red Bull he wanted a McLaren-style wheel so Red Bull contacted McLaren and bought the relevant rights/IP.