McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zgred

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

PNSD
PNSD

Regarding DC and the wheel, I thought DC asked permission from Mclaren to take his wheel and allow RedBull to have their way with it.

As for the car, certainly Renault, Ferrari and even Mercedes looked closer to the Mclaren than the previous few races, whilst RedBull seem to be getting further away, the chasing pack is turning into a great battle. Development will be key. We all know how great Renault proved in that area last year. I would like to think Mclaren have what it takes to overhaul the gap to RedBull whilst increasing the gap to the following teams.

forty-two

zgred wrote:<Image>
Great picture as always Zgred, Although I can't work out what's going on here. Either they have:

- A black diffusor and they were using white flo-vis
- A White diffusor painted black and it's peeled
- A White diffusor and they were using black flo-vis

Perhaps this is all part of misleading the opposition. It looks more "fancy" than the previous one though. Can anyone do a comparison picture?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

Actually, whatever it is, McLaren seem to be able to get away with far smaller cooling outlets than Red Bull. Granted their frontal area is possibly larger, but however you cut it, the air has to exit somewhere right?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

That's just flow vis.

McLaren have cooling outlets around the exhaust and under the car going into the diffuser through the starter motor hole. Plus they have the gearbox cooling and hot air exit in the same place as RB, but obviously it doesn't have to be as big because of the other exits McLaren have.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

forty-two

Interesting, so a smaller exit, plus leaking hot air immediately in front of the diffusor, doesn't sound too shabby an idea to me!

Formula None
Formula None

I wonder how much more effective those rear wheel winglets are with the exhaust right below them.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Newey designed the McLaren steering wheel, clearly he just replicated the design at Red Bull. He spent alot of years perfecting the concept he started with the MP4-19 all the way through to the MP4-21/22. It was pretty obvious he was going to take that concept over to RB, he never quite got it all working for them before the major rule changes.

raymondu999

I don't get it. How would a steering wheel have so much impact on the speed of the car? From a technical point of view, rather than driving
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

fenix4life
fenix4life

raymondu999 wrote:I don't get it. How would a steering wheel have so much impact on the speed of the car? From a technical point of view, rather than driving
If you can access certain buttons, paddles more quickly in the right order then this could increase your performance.
I'm not sure you can win a race with it but if you need to look at your steering wheel to find the KERS button or you pushed the wrong as the order is not like you would like than you could have some strange things happening.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Sorry I was talking about the McLaren cars in general :P

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Diesel wrote:Newey designed the McLaren steering wheel, clearly he just replicated the design at Red Bull. He spent alot of years perfecting the concept he started with the MP4-19 all the way through to the MP4-21/22. It was pretty obvious he was going to take that concept over to RB, he never quite got it all working for them before the major rule changes.
This isn't what happened. Coulthard has said how he took the Mclaren steering wheel into Red Bull and asked them to copy it the year before Newey joined the team from Mclaren.

PNSD
PNSD

http://www.hunnyf1.com/download/mc-shan ... na3346.jpg

BL Inlet either side of the cockpit. I persume KERS cooling? Mclaren seem to be taking special care with ingestion of marbles this year too!

McG

It would be pushing it to say those steering wheels are similar. They slightly resemble one another.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Daffron
Daffron

The MP4-26 is now a race winner.

It looked to me like they used the carbon diffuser?

Hopefully Red Bull are distracted by kers and McLaren can close the gap in the 3 weeks we've got until Turkey.

The MP4-26 looked good in the heat at Malaysia last week (quali pace), maybe this will help them at Turkey. They were good there last year despite Red Bull's turn 8 advantage.