Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Does anyone know how they actuate the flap? as the flap is actuated through both wing endplates the mechanism must be quite elaborate or you need two actuators...
if those two get out of synch for reasons of vibration or twist you are in for trouble ...Mercedes the one Team who managed to create a system that can get stuck in the open position repeatedly.This was explicitly to be avoided,right?
engineering is wonderful and teaching you all sorts of things.

roadwarrior
roadwarrior

I'd be releasing my finger from the DRS button a second before normal to make sure the air flow has re-attached properly so I wouldn't overshoot the braking zone after I've just passed someone. I assume it's still an aero problem as opposed an electro mechanical one.

marcush.
marcush.

well maybe Schu is so old that his crippled fingers will not release from a button once pressed for several minutes...
seriously we saw Schumachers and Rosbergs flap not returning to normal position in one of the qualifyings...so there is some car problem.

bot6
bot6

This time it really is a mechanical issue apparently, with the wing not closing properly on braking, as Brawn said it showed in the telemetry. He also used the word "malfunctioned" rather than "stalled" which suggests a mechanical or electrical problem rather than an aerodynamic one.

The wing mechanism is hydraulic, so it would be fairly easy to have two actuators acting simultaneously. All you would need for that is one hydraulic circuit with one master cylinder and one command, splitting into two pipes going to the actuators. The issue is probably elsewhere, either from the mechanism getting blocked by something (debris, rubber marble, ...) or maybe the electric pump for the hydraulics pressure. Could just be the pressure sensor in there acting up. Or an electric fault in the command.

The problem is not with releasing the button. All the DRSs on the cars work the same way: press the button once to open, then close automatically when the brake pedal is pressed. It's all going through the ECU to make sure that the wing is not open when it's not allowed to be. There's definitely a glitch in the system somewhere.

Med4224

roadwarrior wrote:I'd be releasing my finger from the DRS button a second before normal to make sure the air flow has re-attached properly so I wouldn't overshoot the braking zone after I've just passed someone. I assume it's still an aero problem as opposed an electro mechanical one.
there isn't a DRS button. It disengages when he breaks, are you suggesting Michael breaks a second earlier? :-)
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

volarchico
volarchico

If you watched qualy, there is a DRS button which was spoken about during the BBC feed. It had to be held down to activate the DRS and released to deactivate. Maybe during the race they operate it differently since it can only be open in one part, but during qualy it has a press-and-hold button.

Med4224

volarchico wrote:If you watched qualy, there is a DRS button which was spoken about during the BBC feed. It had to be held down to activate the DRS and released to deactivate. Maybe during the race they operate it differently since it can only be open in one part, but during qualy it has a press-and-hold button.
Doesn't Mercedes have a pedal to activate its rear wing?

'According to a report from Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, the Mercedes W02s of Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg will feature an additional foot pedal to activate the adjustable rear wing, and will be located to the left of the brake pedal.'

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/merce ... 33250.html

Rosberg's onboard didn't show him holding any button on the straight, except when he used kers

Albert Einstein

dren

Yeah, the button is for KERS, the pedal for DRS. DRS deactivates when the brakes are pressed. There shouldn't be as many issues for Schumacher tomorrow since the DRS isn't used much in the race. He can get his usual 3~4 car jump at the start and fight it out with the Torro Rossos and Ferraris hopefully.
Honda!

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Im heartened by the teams showing this weekend so far. The car has some real pace, but I await to see if the tyres will last in race trim.

Seems cooler ambient tempratures allow the short wheel base design, with its tightly packaged cooling, to do as intended.
Brawn has said they have solutions so as not to compromise performance again. I wonder what compromises are needed that makes them that slow?

Either way, I just hope we have a series of cool races :lol:
Engine mapping and or cooling vane exits?
Honda!

volarchico
volarchico

Looks like either my poor memory, or BBC announcers getting it wrong. They definitely commented on one of the teams having to hold a button for DRS, but I guess it wasn't Mercedes!

Med4224

dren wrote:Yeah, the button is for KERS, the pedal for DRS. DRS deactivates when the brakes are pressed. There shouldn't be as many issues for Schumacher tomorrow since the DRS isn't used much in the race. He can get his usual 3~4 car jump at the start and fight it out with the Torro Rossos and Ferraris hopefully.
yea, i think tyre strategy can help him greatly if they get it right
he has the choice of starting on hards, can help him fight struggling cars on softs

Albert Einstein

Med4224

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 41641.html

Brawn:" We will get a new one (rearwing) for Istanbul and it will eliminate the problem".

"One of our priorities for the next races will be introducing a new cooling solution".

I believe things are looking up for Mercedes. Fingers crossed.

Albert Einstein

raymondu999

volarchico wrote:Looks like either my poor memory, or BBC announcers getting it wrong. They definitely commented on one of the teams having to hold a button for DRS, but I guess it wasn't Mercedes!
that would be STR :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Byronrhys

I just hope they don't get left behind trying to eliminate their problems, they have a good base, now they have to build on it.

ringo

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Im heartened by the teams showing this weekend so far. The car has some real pace, but I await to see if the tyres will last in race trim.

Seems cooler ambient tempratures allow the short wheel base design, with its tightly packaged cooling, to do as intended.
Brawn has said they have solutions so as not to compromise performance again. I wonder what compromises are needed that makes them that slow?

Either way, I just hope we have a series of cool races :lol:

The car still lacks consistency. It's definitely ok when it's in a certain range. Let's see what parts of the race tomorrow they're strong at.
For Sure!!