What is the weight of an F1 car

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

What is the weight of an F1 car

Does anyone know how heavy the current F1 cars are without ballast, fuel & driver ?

With all this push in the next few years to "Go Green" surely it would be better to remove the weight restriction & allow the teams to make a car as light as possible but still passing current crash testing regulations

volarchico
volarchico

Re: What is the weight of an F1 car

But "going green" by removing the weight limit would contradict the desire to stop "spending green". It would be a whole new development race to build the lightest car since weight plays such a huge role in performance.

And as far as your specific question goes, no...I'm not sure anyone has the real weight other than the teams.

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

but from what I can gather the cars without driver, fuel and ballast are around 400kg in weight, so it's not like they need to invest heavily in making a lighter car.

they simply need to remover the minimum weight limit & keep the cap on the maximum amount of spending per season.

volarchico
volarchico

A little off topic, but I guess if there was no minimum weight rule, Webber would lose his job to someone smaller/lighter! :(

Lurk

400 or 450kg - coolant and oil included - with a mandatory 95kg engine is already very few to a car designed for a 300km/h crash.
IMO, a non mandatory weight would be very costly for little gains...

And yes, big and great drivers like Webber would be fired to lighter one. :|

astracrazy
astracrazy

if you had no min weight limit drivers would be encouraged to go as skinny as possible to make the overall weight as light as possible - which isn't a good thing.

Plus the performance of these cars would surely increase dramatically?

perhaps they could look at lowering the minimum weight in 2013? But with this kers its a pain - its extra weight

Ciro Pabón

Well, I don't know. At least we can guess how much does the car weight with ballast.

The weight of the driver and the weight of the fuel should be easy to find, don't they?

I trust more in ESPImperium's figures about how much fuel the car carries, so I won't guess.

Let's wait for his input (if he ever sees this post).

This leaves me the hard task of guessing driver weights. Let's check what we can find.

Massa, 59 kg
(I don't know why I started with him: maybe because I've always thought he is small. At 1.66 m, yes he is).

Hamilton, 66 kg
(wow, he is taller than Felipe, by 8 cm, up to 1.74)

Vettel, I don't know. The guy claims to weigh 58 kilos at the Red Bull site, but an article I stumble upon, explains he went down to 62.5 in 2009... He's having too many nachos with cheese since entering the team, I guess.

The same article (here) explains that the fatty one in the grid is Robert Kubitza, at 78 kilos, but he seems the only person in the entire grid that wasn't born in The Shire, if you follow my drift, exception made of Rösberg, who is clearly born in Lothlórien (ha, ha, how funny I am).

Alonso's suffering for losing 5 kilos (where in the weight scale he ended is not explained, he's one of the beefy ones, along with Webber, aren't they?) is dutifully explained and how it lead FIA to increase car weight by 15 kilos that year (5 kilos lost to exercise plus 5 kilos lost during the race plus a broken water bottle plus a fainted Alonso are given as the motive. It is hard to be thin... and you have to be missing all that chorizo with wine before the race).

Alonso asking for a Red Bull after Bahrain 2009

I learn quickly that Heidfeld some time hit 59 kilos (in the winter of 2009), Nico Rosberg went from 72 kg (he seemed puffy, didn't he?) to 66, and that Webber is conceding defeat every time he has the munchies because he refuses to use a diet, while Vettel is a feather, comparatively speaking.

I also learn that in times of yore, weight being a more precious commodity, jockeys abounded (Moss, Stewart and Prost are cited as examples of smallish guys).

My curiosity takes me to try to learn the figures for them, but in vain. Moss weight or height interests nobody that I can find. I don't have the time to check for Stewart and Prost, but Prost surely seemed another Middle-Earthish guy.

For the moment, reading Moss biography, I'm reminded of the drive he made at Monaco in 1961 at the wheel of a Lotus 18, against the more powerful Ferraris. I should post that in the Best Drive Thread, btw, but I digress.

So, after all that blah, blah, blah, and trying to put my act together, I conclude that in average, if we take 59 as the smallish F1 guy around and 78 kg the heavyweight champion of F1, which is the weight that Kubitza, who is not precisely the Michelin Man, hit sometime around 2008, I got that the average driver is a light 68.5 kg model (that is like 151 pounds in the Land of the Free, less than 11 stones in the Commonwealth).

Well, the people I work with is back from the printing shop (at last!). Let's hurry. I am sending a PM to ESPImperium to find the fuel weight. This leaves me with the ballast as the only (yeah, sure) missing factor.

BTW, has anyone ever seen a picture of the ballast in an F1 car? That would be another interesting exercise and would leave us with the answer to the question posed in this thread. I remember the Formula One car that was exhibited, broken in pieces and hanging from wires in London, that someone posted years ago. Where is the ballast in those pictures?

For the moment, I find that ballast is (in part) put at the ends of the wings! Gosh, why hasn't nobody said that in the (too) many threads about flexible wings we have here?

Anyway, I can also tell you that if you assume ballast to weigh, I don't know, 200 kilos, it is a block with a side of 9 inches (22 cm). The thing (made of tungsten) weighs 70% more than lead.

If it is made of depleted uranium (you wouldn't believe the many wild guesses I've found writing this!) then it can cost you around 500.000 U$ for 80 kilos (where the ballast weigh is between 200 and 80 kg is anybody's guess).

If Webber is, wild guess I make, 20 kilos heavier than Vettel, the later carries a cube of 10 cm of tungsten somewhere in the car (probably as a skid plate or something like that, but...).

Finally, the simple answer is that the car, according to sources that apparently also have no idea of how much the ballast weighs, nor take in account driver or fuel (or oil!), weighs around 400 kilos. Sure, believe them. I will believe my eyes once ESP tells us about the fuel and we find where in the car is the darn ballast hidden. We should be able to do that.
Ciro

Lurk

I think ballasts for top teams were more than 80kg in 2005.
So F1 car without fluids, drivers and ballast were already at 450kg : 80kg for the ballast, 60kg for the driver (a light one), the missing 10/15kg for the coolant and oil?
I am sending a PM to ESPImperium to find the fuel weight
About 0.75kg/l (0.72 to 0.775 according to the regulation) but it is useless for our calculation. :wink:

I'll try to ask for a Jaguar. I also remember someone here bought a RA108 recently, maybe he could weigh it?

Lurk

470kg for the R4 including 20kg of fluid.

mep

According to this link:

http://www.formel1.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4513

Is the fuel consumption for Shanghai GP 2,57kg per lap.
The fuel usage is ranked medium for this GP.
With 56 laps to go we demand 143,92kg per race or 192 liter.
The source is from 2007 but I guess it has not changed much.

Well now you guys can call me stupid again and ask if I have ever heard about something called physics. At least I managed to figure that out.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

As requested, from my 2010 data charts, whitch i put a track/fuel weight thing, also converted Litres to Kilos and got a propper handle on fule weights, just for an argument i had with my dad, on whitch i won.

I have a few other select tracks in there, but without figures, but that was just to calculate race distances arround those tracks.

Figures were taken from Williams figures in 2009 when fuel weights were published, and when they used the Toyota RVX-09 engine as well.

So, given that a car has to weight 640kg without driver, fuel and other fluids, with fuel, Monza has the highest fuel usage each year, each team would install a tank of arround 175kg in size, you would be looking at a car weight of 815kg plus at Monza.

A oil tank is arround 6kg, with the reserve tank being 3-4kg, and each radiator holds roughly 12kg of water as well, and the gearbox radiator system holda as much as 2kg and the KERS cooling is not too disimmilar as well, so at worst a F1 car will start with a total weight, if you have the heaviest driver in Rubens Barrichello who is 77kg, that gives a car weight at total of approaching a single metric tonne, 1000kg to those who want a figure.

Lurk

So if your calculation are accurate, 815kg is the max weight they will race this season (Monza), not 1000kg.

You don't have to add driver & fluid weights. 640kg is driver & fluid (except fuel) including.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The car must be 640kg without fuel and other fluids like water and oil. Otherwise we weould be using fuel as ballast, and that was formally outlawed as of San Marino 2005 when Max Mosley decided to make an example of Bar Honda who were caught to using the practice in San Marino and were excluded from the following 2 GP that year.

godlameroso

Article 4.1 states "4.1 Minimum weight :
The weight of the car must not be less than 640kg at all times during the Event.
If, when required for checking, a car is not already fitted with dry-weather tyres, it will be weighed on a set of dryweather
tyres selected by the FIA technical delegate."

It doesn't say anything about fluids, or driver for that matter. Also, don't drivers lose weight in the car?
Saishū kōnā

mep

1.9 Weight :
Is the weight of the car with the driver, wearing his complete racing apparel, at all times during the Event
So the driver is included in the 640kg.
I can't find anything about fuel and fluids but as I remember there was something about this in the rules. Possible these sentences got deleted because there is no demand since refuelling or adding anything else except air is not allowed anymore. So when the car gets weighted after the race it doesn't matter if it reaches the minimum weight just by the fuel it carries. It's rather a disadvantage when you reach your weight by fuel because it will raise the CoG compared to some high density ballast located low in the car. Today using fuel as ballast to cheat the minimum weight rule is not possible anymore.

We should not forget the weight the car can get when you pick up rubber after the race. Even when it is just a few gram it will give you an advantage over the whole race.