Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes GP W02

marcush. wrote:i don´t think it was a miscalculation in terms of running a richer map.If so they could have reverted to the lean one and still have given Rosberg green light for full attack,right?

I don´t think we have given the full picture.I beleive they had to run rich for making the engine survive...
Schumacher conspiciously avoided running in slipstream in his fights catching fresh air as much as he could.He did that in a ways you could interpret this as showing yourself in the opponents mirrors but to me it was aimed at helping the engine cooling..just a thought..so maybe they had filled up but needed the fuel ssimply to stay alive after closing the big holes in the sidepods to shed drag?
I figured they were running a detuned engine map along with holes in the side pods to aid with engine cooling. I am guessing that the engine was using more than expected when turned up, thus forcing them to revert back to a detuned state for the last third of the race.

Or like what was stated before, maybe in the first two races they ran a richer mixture to cool the engine, thus adding more weight and hindering performance. Maybe they miscalculated and took out too much fuel when they leaned out the fuel map for China.

Either way, it sounds like engine mapping is involved with the cooling solutions.
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

By coasting I think they meant for him not to be at full throttle come the braking zone.
The angle of the accelerator peddle will dictate how much fuel is going into the engine....by coming off earlier and braking later, some fuel can be saved.
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

there is a misconception in this :You run the engine rich to cool it not to be quicker ..So leaning out the mixture will not hurt your performance but cause overheating,right?
So why did they not ask him to go slower because the car was overheating???

I don´t get this.

Ferraripilot

marcush. wrote:there is a misconception in this :You run the engine rich to cool it not to be quicker ..So leaning out the mixture will not hurt your performance but cause overheating,right?
So why did they not ask him to go slower because the car was overheating???

I don´t get this.

Slower means they could not change the engine mapping where they were (illegal) but the engine is still tuned full rich with aggressive timing. I am guessing they had no choice in making such a request.

PlatinumZealot

Off the top of my head:
Factors that influence the engine temperature:

Rpm - more power cycles per unit time is more heat transfer to the coolant

fuel amount - this influences the flame temperature

Spark timing - more power is more heat (especially since advancing the timing reduces the thermal efficiency).

As for the brakes... when you use them get hot - no brainer.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

bot6
bot6

From the China GP:

The front wing endplate on Rosberg's W02 is nearly as low as the Red Bull, and there seems to be an angle difference between the left and right endplate. Could Mercedes have brought a bendy version of the Mark II wing to China? And could that be one of the reasons for the better performance?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The track has a small ammount of camber at that point, i belive its something like 1.2 degreese or something. Its for 2 factors, the cars would simply not turn out of that corner otherwise as it would be tighter than Lowes and the other factor, drainage as there are drains on the inside of the apex of the corner that take the rain away.

bot6
bot6

Yes but look at the right endplate on the W02, the bottom of it does not seem parallel to the floor or to the other endplate.

So something could be bending...

mantikos
mantikos

bot6 wrote:Yes but look at the right endplate on the W02, the bottom of it does not seem parallel to the floor or to the other endplate.

They changed the spring rates in the front and ran it softer in the front...that turn and that pt in the race there was not have enough speed to cause the wings to start flexing

siskue2005

bot6 wrote:Yes but look at the right endplate on the W02, the bottom of it does not seem parallel to the floor or to the other endplate.

It could be car roll

bot6
bot6

car roll explains movement of the endplate relative to the track. It does not explain rotation of one endplate relative to the other or of an endplate relative to the floor.

It's obvious from the picture that the right front wing endplate is not parallel with the floor of the car anymore.

Yes, by floor I mean the flat bottom of the car, not the ground.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It's a combination of roll and camber, all cars have that same end plate height pretty much in that corner. The cars aren't really going fast enough at that point for Flexi-Wings to come into play.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PlatinumZealot

Flexi wings again..lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Afterburner

If that endplate is flexing why is the other so high above the ground?

mantikos
mantikos

like I and other members have mentioned, the corner was too slow to have noticable flexing in the wings