Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
rdr
rdr

Re: Mercedes GP W02

RB's flexi wings kick in on 4th gear and obviously visible on straight line.

It's not the case.

atanatizante

Slower means they could not change the engine mapping where they were (illegal) ...
Engine mapping can be swithched via on wheel bottons ... and is also legal :D

Btw, Happy Easter everybody!
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

That wing is not flexing, look at the wing on Alguersauris Toro Tosso behind who is just entering the corner.

marcush.
marcush.

again:
I put in more fuel to cool the engine -not to gain power .-But that would be clearly obvious for my fuel startegy for sunday tankage.
If I realise I cannot fill her up more due to tank size(?) i have no option but run her leaner.
But this will not cost any power yet,as the surplus fuel was there for cooling ,right ? So Speedwise there is no difference between running a overrich felmap to a rich fuelmap .
So in that respect why would you need to short shift or lift ? To keep the engine cooler ,removing load BUT not to save fuel...

So you guys isn´t this a bit suspicious ? They could have leaned out the engine to make it to the finish -at the risk of an engine failure .but they played the most conservative game ...
Back in 2009 Brawn gotr a bit of fame for running their cars persistantly out of the recommended window of temperqatures at all the hot races...Mercedes seems to be very afraid of blowups these days...but to win on a day like this you need to take a gamble...I would have taken that risk ...better go down in flames fighting for the win instead of coming home with a fifth place which is really not much to write home about...it would have become a 7th for Schumacher if it had not worked out so the damage would have been minimal...

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

marcush. wrote:again:
I put in more fuel to cool the engine -not to gain power .-But that would be clearly obvious for my fuel startegy for sunday tankage.
If I realise I cannot fill her up more due to tank size(?) i have no option but run her leaner.
But this will not cost any power yet,as the surplus fuel was there for cooling ,right ? So Speedwise there is no difference between running a overrich felmap to a rich fuelmap .
So in that respect why would you need to short shift or lift ? To keep the engine cooler ,removing load BUT not to save fuel...

So you guys isn´t this a bit suspicious ? They could have leaned out the engine to make it to the finish -at the risk of an engine failure .but they played the most conservative game ...
Back in 2009 Brawn gotr a bit of fame for running their cars persistantly out of the recommended window of temperqatures at all the hot races...Mercedes seems to be very afraid of blowups these days...but to win on a day like this you need to take a gamble...I would have taken that risk ...better go down in flames fighting for the win instead of coming home with a fifth place which is really not much to write home about...it would have become a 7th for Schumacher if it had not worked out so the damage would have been minimal...

i don't think Massa will agree with that, remember Hungary 2008..
I think it's better to finish the race.. If Mercedes car is quick they will won races..

marcush.
marcush.

ah..come on ...you cannot drop a half chance to win a race.They will not win the championship this year that should be clear to everybody so all that matters is a win.

Ferraripilot

ESPImperium wrote:That wing is not flexing, look at the wing on Alguersauris Toro Tosso behind who is just entering the corner.

I agree. Matter of fact, by looking at the MB wing transitional area just inboard from the moulded slot on the main plain, it is undoubtedly more stout looking than that of RB and could very well be one of the most stiff units on the field.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

volarchico wrote:Because "coasting" in F1 has been described as similar to running into a brick wall in a regular car. With the large amounts of drag, you can scrub off a considerable amount of speed before even having to touch the brakes, thus putting less energy and heat into them.
Valid point, didn't think of it from that point of view. They do this at Silverstone, through most of sector 1.

Med4224

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/04/w ... -the-race/

James Allen: "Incidentally the Mercedes problems with the DRS wing, which hit Michael Schumacher in qualifying in China, are believed to be aerodynamic in the sense that the air flow is not reattaching after the DRS wing is closed.

This was a problem many teams experienced with the F Duct wing last year. Mercedes has been very aggressive with its design this year and appear to have the biggest gain when the DRS in enabled of all the teams, at around 20km/h.

They will no doubt be using the three week break before Turkey to address their problems in this area, which may result in a less dramatic speed gain but a more efficient rear wing."
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

ell66
ell66

marcush. wrote:ah..come on ...you cannot drop a half chance to win a race.They will not win the championship this year that should be clear to everybody so all that matters is a win.
dude you cant be serious? if they had continued the way they were going then they quite clearly wouldnt of finished the race.

marcush.
marcush.

you bet..I´m serious.
Nobody included Rosberg needs a fifth place in their current situation.They need to be 3rd in the constructors and they need a win .Nothing else.
Rosberg collected a good haul of points last year and with their approach it will be difficult to top that ,considering the improved strength of renault-with 2 podiums already and Mclaren with podiums plus a win .You cannot be serious and bank on Ferrari remaining as lacklustre as they are currently ...so I see them in 4th or 5th currently ...and thats not enough.I would have gambled .We have not heard how much fuel they found in the tank and possibly we will never know...

bill shoe
bill shoe

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... ew-report/
Mercedes has the fastest pit crew in Formula One at present, Germany's Auto Motor und Sport has found.

The analysis showed that the Brackley-based team, having developed a rim without a separate wheel nut for 2011, was marginally quicker than McLaren and Red Bull at performing competitive tire pit stops so far.
I'm curious what is the nature of this Mercedes wheel with no separate nut. A brief search didn't find any previous mention on F1T. They are currently the fastest pit crew by a small amount, but as the seson goes on I wonder if the integral nut (?) will prevent the occasional cross-thread problem and therefore give them a larger advantage.

The FOZ
The FOZ

Will Buxton has reported on this...

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/20 ... stop-tech/

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/20 ... an-update/

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/20 ... heel-rims/

Clever bit of thinking! It will be interesting to see who else can integrate this into their existing wheels - likely MercedesGP had this in mind ages ago, and built their 2011 homologated wheel as such, putting everyone else at a disadvantage.

feynman
feynman

bill shoe wrote: ... will prevent the occasional cross-thread problem and therefore give them a larger advantage.
Not sure it completely prevents cross threading, you still have two separate metal threads being brutally mated at high speed. Maybe there is some alignment features built into the mechanism, but I kinda thought the Merc nut was more a performance feature.

Which will be fine as far as it goes, but if they do ever have a nut problem they are up the creek. Instead of grabbing a spare nut from the spare gun and losing a second or two, they now have to unbolt all the wheels, and send a committee back into the garage to rummage about and find whatever spare set of (used) extra tyres they have available.

If the nut is now integrated with the rim, and the rim is fixed to the tyre, and the tyre allocations have to run in sets ... first time it sticks, it could get messy in a hurry.

beelsebob
beelsebob

feynman wrote:
bill shoe wrote: ... will prevent the occasional cross-thread problem and therefore give them a larger advantage.
Not sure it completely prevents cross threading, you still have two separate metal threads being brutally mated at high speed. Maybe there is some alignment features built into the mechanism, but I kinda thought the Merc nut was more a performance feature.

Which will be fine as far as it goes, but if they do ever have a nut problem they are up the creek. Instead of grabbing a spare nut from the spare gun and losing a second or two, they now have to unbolt all the wheels, and send a committee back into the garage to rummage about and find whatever spare set of (used) extra tyres they have available.

If the nut is now integrated with the rim, and the rim is fixed to the tyre, and the tyre allocations have to run in sets ... first time it sticks, it could get messy in a hurry.
The thing is, nut problems are more often than not "---, I dropped it". I don't think I can remember the last time where a team stripped the thread on the nut. Not forgetting that they're equally likely to strip the thread on the car, and I've certainly *never* seen that happen.