Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Well, we can all assume the RB chassis to be pretty well sorted, so by implication, not much room for improvement. However these are inherit advantages that RB has in it's favor ..

A healthy points lead DESPITE the fact that the races still haven't been problem free.

Probably the best understanding of the tires of any team so far, especially via Webber, who has had to race hard and learn the tires well to get his points.

KERS just coming on line.

As the leader in car design they know what problems they have that others have gotten to yet, whether it's aero balance, starts, etc. We can assume they are working diligently on whatever items they can find improvement in.

Caito
Caito

Rake in itself does not lower the front wing. That depends on where is the axis the car is "pitching" when they add rake.

If it moves along in front of the front wing, rake would actually increase FW height.

Rake is also necessary to reduce pitch sensitivity. If one has a flat floor, under squat the car generates lift, under dive the car generates DF. So it becomes quite messy for the driver.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

raymondu999

BreezyRacer wrote:Probably the best understanding of the tires of any team so far, especially via Webber, who has had to race hard and learn the tires well to get his points.
I don't think Webber's run was particularly tyre-informative actually. Sure it would give data, but nothing different to what the other teams have. In all 3 races so far he's had the more-stop strategy, so he could afford to just go flat out. However, Vettel and Webber in the races so far have been consistently on split strategy, with Vettel making 1 stop less in all races. I think that would yield more in terms of tyre info; they could make comparative judgments and analyses better I guess, as 1 would be more of a tyre-management race while the other is running more of a flat-out race. It would show how the tyres react differently to different strategies.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

archiebald
archiebald

Caito wrote:Rake in itself does not lower the front wing. That depends on where is the axis the car is "pitching" when they add rake.

If it moves along in front of the front wing, rake would actually increase FW height.

Rake is also necessary to reduce pitch sensitivity. If one has a flat floor, under squat the car generates lift, under dive the car generates DF. So it becomes quite messy for the driver.
Increased rake occurs when the rear axle point is above the front axle. Therefore the pitching point is the front axle.

Your idea could only work if they also increased the ride height at the front.

Formula None
Formula None

Blah blah blah, more pictures please.

Formula None
Formula None

Formula None
Formula None

Love this one, really gives you an idea of the radiator exit shape & air's path of travel under the engine cover:

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Christian Horner is confident Red Bull have “some good stuff in the pipeline”

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/ ... or_Europe/

raymondu999

@Formula None's pic - wow. Newey must hate KERS, seeing as he has to put the mammoth engine cover :shock:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

marcush.
marcush.

FrukostScones wrote:Image
KERS components between engine and gearbox? That thing looks like a battery pack more than anything else...and if I´m not wrong the exhaust endpipe will place exactly along that pack on the floor...if it´s the controller or the Battery either ways it will see a LOT of heat and only the air coming from the rads

xpensive
xpensive

FrukostScones wrote:IMAGE
Do take notice of the attention to detail here, not one component misplaced and no cables hanging loose either.
Last edited by Steven on 06 May 2011, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image as it's right above
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

one nice feature is -only the crosshaft for the ARB seems to be above diff axis level everything else is located lower..(ok top wishbones are higher as well)
amazing that they could package something boxy like the KERS pack in that area..

bill shoe
bill shoe

The most interesting thing to me is the false top over the gearbox for airflow. This appears to keep airflow around ~50 mm higher than the structural top of the gearbox. Even though the structural top of this gearbox isn't low like Williams, Red Bull is choosing to run the airflow higher still!!

The large radius at the forward edge of this false top shows where the internal airflow is split into top-exit (mailbox exit) air and bottom-exit (sidepod-exit) air.

It appear that all mailbox airflow exits over the gearbox structure in contrast to McLaren that appears to flow some of their mailbox airflow through the gearbox structure.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

xpensive wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:Image
Do take notice of the attention to detail here, not one component misplaced and no cables hanging loose either.
I'd say that putting a battery that needs to be kept cool and vibration free on the side of the gearbox next to the exhausts is misplaced somewhat...