Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP W02

xpensive wrote:In all honesty, I admit to have been stunned by Mercedes sheer pace in China, guess that even I can get things completely wrong at times, though it's not veryu often.

Hats off JET.
Did someone hijack X's account? :lol:

The team still arent out the woods yet. The W02 is showing at a GP weekend what it was showing at the final test in Barcelona, that it has pace.
But there are issues hampering them that need to be ironed out before they can have a sniff of victory.
China suited them, lets see what Turkey holds for the W02.
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

Not at all JET, it's just that I have came to the age when you realize that you're better off admitting being in the wrong straightaway without xcuses, than fighting a losing battle looking like a fool to everybody's laughter.

Bu the W02 still looks terrible in detail... :mrgreen:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Formula None
Formula None

Give credit where it is due. It is a fine addition to the long lineage of the silver barrows.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

With the detailing we may see a change with Bell being in charge.

My only concern with China, was that it had 2 long straights suiting the Mercedes V8 and the straightline strength of the W02. Most other tracks will not be so easy for the car to flex the engine as much. But Rosberg looked more than capable in the slower stuff at China too, taking tighter lines than the cars infront of him gives me a small indication that the car has resolved at least some of its grip issues from the first 2 races.

What I do see is Mercedes being super competitive at a track like Monza. Too late for the nomex though I fear......
David Purley

Mandrake
Mandrake

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: But there are issues hampering them that need to be ironed out before they can have a sniff of victory.
China suited them, lets see what Turkey holds for the W02.
Weirdly their testing programme was exclusively designed to iron out mechanical issues prior to adding all new bits and pieces.

Nevertheless, MGP is now one of the more unreliable teams / cars, at least looking at the top of the grid. Makes you wonder why.....

bot6
bot6

Probably because they went for something quite extreme for cooling.

Formula None -> Just love the Silver Barrow. That's my laugh of the day right there. =D>

xpensive
xpensive

Symptomatic enough JET, the Mercedes ARW is far and away the most elegant of solutions right there, can't tell you how much I hate the other teams schnabel controlling the flap.

Any recent pics of the W02 rear wing?

adrianjordan

xpensive wrote:In all honesty, I admit to have been stunned by Mercedes sheer pace in China, guess that even I can get things completely wrong at times, though it's not veryu often.

Hats off JET.
Hats off Xpensive for having the character to admit that.

I notice a certain other member hasn't done the same :lol:

BTW, I just noticed this smiley: [-o< How apt that I was on the W02 thread at the time!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

marcush.
marcush.

something about the W02 is looking just not right .It looks unfinished to me like someone had stuck on some parts on a prototype and come the proper presentation we will see the real beauty..

seriously ,I don´t mind if it looks like a truck ,as long as Scumacher makes sure Exp gets his special mealö come Hockenheim.

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote:something about the W02 is looking just not right .It looks unfinished to me like someone had stuck on some parts on a prototype and come the proper presentation we will see the real beauty..

seriously ,I don´t mind if it looks like a truck ,as long as Scumacher makes sure Exp gets his special mealö come Hockenheim.
As I stated above, even if I recognize being seriously in the wrong on the pace of the darn thing, I still believe the attention to detail is pitiful. Xcept for that delightful rear wing, recent pics please!

With a unlimited supply of Alt, I'll eat anything but weisswurst.

bot6
bot6

I'll have the Weisswürste. Mit Weissbier. First Merc victory, I'm having myself a proper German Weissmeal.

Mandrake
Mandrake

bot6 wrote:I'll have the Weisswürste. Mit Weissbier. First Merc victory, I'm having myself a proper bavarian Weissmeal.
Fixed for you ;)

mep

I wonder if Weißwürste is the proper food to celebrate a Mercedes victory. It's not a BMW after all. You should rather eat some Swabian food. Hmmm what could we offer to you? How about Linsen und Spätzle, some Wurstsalat (with black sausace of course) or Kutteln. :lol:
I don't know why Expensive doesn't want to take Weißwürste in the end he might prefer to eat them. Ah wait he has already chosen the nomex suit.
Well that’s something new, should we fry it to make it vienna style? :?

Btw: Have you already noticed that there is no race in Hockenheim this year?
He foolished us with his bet. :wink:

bot6
bot6

Reading the last couple of posts, it seems that it's been a long time without a race... I miss testing, at least then the cars kept evolving even outside of race weekends.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

W02 rear wing in open and shut phase:

Old wing to the right show's the far smaller moveable element.
David Purley