Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Thank's JET, how beautiful is that, gawd I love decent mechanical engineering!

But how the hell do they do it, without that ghastly vertical schnabel like the others, some sort of angular actuators in the endplates or is it something else under the flap that cannot be seen straightaway?

As I'm still not planning to eat no Nomex at Hocken, I'll settle for the spargel, zigeunerschnitzel, plenty of alt and perhaps the odd apfelkorn if things gets boring?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:Thank's JET, how beautiful is that, gawd I love decent mechanical engineering!

But how the hell do they do it, without that ghastly vertical schnabel like the others, some sort of angular actuators in the endplates or is it something else under the flap that cannot be seen straightaway?

As I'm still not planning to eat no Nomex at Hocken, I'll settle for the spargel, zigeunerschnitzel, plenty of alt and perhaps the odd apfelkorn if things gets boring?
apfelkorn-not typical for the area
zigeunerschnitzel- nogo
spargel- sorry dudes NOW is spargeltime and it´s all over soon...end of may..
the typical beer of the area is more a Bockbier (but I ´m not really informed about beer..)..

So exp..the Nomex will have to make do...

for the actuation:why not put the actuator into the main wing and have a rotating
throughshaft ending in both endplates turning a lever? this would not require a lot of endplate thickness it may even be a bit lighter than having two actuators.and you get rid of all the synch action.

xpensive
xpensive

Ah, but Germany has other xotic cousine to offer, no?

- Knödel.
- Jägerpfanne.
- Bockwurst.
- Sauerkraut.
- Apfelstrudel.
- Schwarzwaldtarte.
- Schwedenkartoffeln.

The list can be made very long before we need to digest the Nomex kind at Hocken.

atanatizante

On other forum there are people talking about Michael and Rosberg were just inertially moving in the last 4-500m on the long straight (before the turn 14) in order to save fuel ... They also said they were in neutral gear. Could that be possible in a F1 car?

Another question is regarding the fuel amount after each event. So, after qualifying it must be at least 3 litres of fuel in the tank. The same amount must be also after the race?

We know that fuel must be at a certain (cooler) temperature in the tank. It is possible that this low temperature could help for cooling the engine?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:Ah, but Germany has other xotic cousine to offer, no?

- Knödel.
- Jägerpfanne.
- Bockwurst.
- Sauerkraut.
- Apfelstrudel.
- Schwarzwaldtarte.
- Schwedenkartoffeln.!!!!!! what´s that?
The list can be made very long before we need to digest the Nomex kind at Hocken.
I´m a bit at a loss to come up with true local food of the Hockenheim area.... :oops:
Well-tbh Hockenheim is not really the place you would settle..the days of tobacco are long gone ..the area was once famous for tobacco plants ..cigar production..

and for the coasting in neutral..you are deceleating quite severely from higher speeds in neutral with a F1 car...so 500m of coasting is not really on.

xpensive
xpensive

With 750 Hp at 320 km/h, air resistance is some 6250 N, with a mass of 700 kg, that will result in an instant deccelleration
of 0.9 g, just by selecting neutral and taking propulsion off.

Almost like running into a brick wall for you and me.

Never tried Schwedenkartoffeln marcush, then we must sample it at Hocken then, no?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Im pretty certain that cooling of fuel and the (heavy)equipment required to do so other than the already overworked radiators, would be of no benefit to the cars performance. I can only guess that such equipment would probably weigh in excess of 15Kgs, and would require alot of packaging compensation. All this at the detriment of performance to save and cool some fuel that would probably be in the region of 10kgs saved maximum. Also, im not sure what the legalities are in terms of cooling fuel during a race, as in parc ferme the rules may be different to that of a car during a race...a la flexi wing saga....

Also the guys putting the car in neutral 500m befroe the end of a straight doesnt sound that plausible. Coming off throttle 100m before your braking point, then missing the break point by 20m is what I think Mercedes were doing with Rosberg. Throttle management and not the draconian measure you read, because coming off throttle 500m before the end of the straight would proably cost you 2-3 seconds in China considering it has 2 long straights, whereas Rosberg was losing around 1 second.

And X, its the Nurburgring this year mate. :wink:
Last edited by JohnsonsEvilTwin on 27 Apr 2011, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:With 750 Hp at 320 km/h, air resistance is some 6250 N, with a mass of 700 kg, that will result in an instant deccelleration
of 0.9 g, just by selecting neutral and taking propulsion off.

Almost like running into a brick wall for you and me.

Never tried Schwedenkartoffeln marcush, then we must sample it at Hocken then, no?
As long as there is no relation to "Schwedentrunk" I´m all for it! :mrgreen:

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: ...
And X, its the Nurburgring this year mate. :wink:
Oh my, our wager was for Hocken, guess bets are off then, no? Rats, I had a winner going!

As calculated above, at 320 km/h, 88 m/s, losing propulsion will deccellerate the car with almost one g, including engine only so much more, why the whole idea must include xtending the breaking distance, saving brakes rather than fuel perhaps?

Don't know Schwedentrunk marcush, but I have seen one or two Schwedenfilms...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So the deceleration 500 meters out would cost them big time...
Well at least that theory was debunked.
More could have been done.
David Purley

dren

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90952

Just more from Mercedes. Sounds promising for the next race.
Honda!

godlameroso

atanatizante wrote:On other forum there are people talking about Michael and Rosberg were just inertially moving in the last 4-500m on the long straight (before the turn 14) in order to save fuel ... They also said they were in neutral gear. Could that be possible in a F1 car?

Another question is regarding the fuel amount after each event. So, after qualifying it must be at least 3 litres of fuel in the tank. The same amount must be also after the race?

We know that fuel must be at a certain (cooler) temperature in the tank. It is possible that this low temperature could help for cooling the engine?
Unrelated, we race at Nurburgring this year

Related, only way to use gas to cool engine is by running very rich like 12:1 or lower
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

xpensive wrote:Thank's JET, how beautiful is that, gawd I love decent mechanical engineering!

How about posting some pictures so the rest of the world can see what those foods are.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

n smikle wrote:

How about posting some pictures so the rest of the world can see what those foods are.
They're on Wikipedia. Can't believe I just look. :oops:

xpensive
xpensive

Strannge wiki has no reference to the Schwedenkartofel delicatessen, guess we need to update the site marcush?