McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hangaku

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

djos wrote:Frankly I dont know how they thought it would be passed by the FIA, the rules are super clear that you are only allowed to have 2 exhaust exits as back in the 80's things got a bit silly with multiple outlets feeding diffusers.
Interpretation of the rules is what makes F1 so damn good. Frankly, I don't know how RedBull get away with their car :twisted: :mrgreen: It's their interpreation of those rules that makes it so fast :roll:
Yer.

feynman
feynman

Anyone that says "the rules are super clear", clearly is kidding themselves about the history of F1 and its rules. Deliberately, nothing is ever "super clear".

Off the top of my head, and within this thread, it doesn't take much imagination to think of a couple of wheezes that move you rapidly from "super clear" to "murky grey area and dodgy, thumb on the scale, WMSC rulings".

No holes in floor for double diffusers, no blown wings and no flexible bodywork, all turn out to be not quite as super clear as were all previously imagined.

raymondu999

That depends on how you interpreted the way "clear" was used :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The rules are written by lawyers just as societies' laws are. And we know how murky law is so why should the FIA's rules be any different.

A few decent diagrams would have cleared up much of these issues before they started.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Just_a_fan wrote:The rules are written by lawyers just as societies' laws are. And we know how murky law is so why should the FIA's rules be any different.

A few decent diagrams would have cleared up much of these issues before they started.
Not really – the issue is not that the rules aren't clear in what they try to explain, it's that the rules have to be written in an open way. They are trying to write a set of rules that allows people to come up with different designs, rather than prescribing exactly what the teams will do. If you say "these are the constraints" someone will always find a way of doing interesting things that you meant to be outside the constraints, but turned out not to be.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

I think one of the simplest ways to explain it is if you say to a room full of 100 people, draw a 2D shape with an area of no more than 1000mm squared. The amount of different shapes produced would be huge.

beelsebob
beelsebob

ajdavison2 wrote:I think one of the simplest ways to explain it is if you say to a room full of 100 people, draw a 2D shape with an area of no more than 1000mm squared. The amount of different shapes produced would be huge.
More so – try to stop them making shapes that you don't like, but are in their interests to draw. They'll always find a way around whatever rule set you write down, unless it's simply "don't draw stuff I don't like".

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:The rules are written by lawyers just as societies' laws are. And we know how murky law is so why should the FIA's rules be any different.

Created by engineers and messed up by lawyers.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

djos wrote:Frankly I dont know how they thought it would be passed by the FIA, the rules are super clear that you are only allowed to have 2 exhaust exits as back in the 80's things got a bit silly with multiple outlets feeding diffusers.
2 exhaust exits... at any given time. That is the keyword.. they can switch those two exits to another part of the car at will.

F-duct exhaust!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Javert

Anyone has news related to McLaren Turkey's updates ?

Ferrari claim they can gain 1 second per lap, so McLaren could go behind them ...

beelsebob
beelsebob

Javert wrote:Anyone has news related to McLaren Turkey's updates ?

Ferrari claim they can gain 1 second per lap, so McLaren could go behind them ...
The only time I've seen a team 1) claim they're going to make a gain of a second or more 2) actually put it on the car, was with McLaren, at Australia.

McLaren were planning some big upgrades for turkey though, so we'll see, won't we.

raymondu999

In all fairness, I don't think we saw that it was a second in terms of the jump to Australia.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kalinka
kalinka

raymondu999 wrote:In all fairness, I don't think we saw that it was a second in terms of the jump to Australia.
Agree, and we'll probably never know, but if someone ask me, I would say it was more than a second, but for sure it's just a feeling, nothing more.

shamikaze
shamikaze

When you compare the MP4-26 FW of China with the one of the RB (especially upper-flap design) from the top-view, the difference in profile is astounding and imho I'd bet even without the flexy stff that the RB's would give more df. However as been stated before, FW is crucial in getting airflow to the right places so it uses the rear optimal as well, and with the completely different side-pod design between the 2 and 1-to-1 comparison is more-or-less useless, but I'm going to do it anyway ;)

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

the RBR wing certainly looks like it loads the outer of its wing more, where as the Mclaren has a shocking apparent lack of element area.. possibly a more streamlined design, creating smoother flow to the rest of the body
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna