2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
flynfrog

Re: Formula One 1.6l turbo engine formula as of 2013

read your own link and stop posting opinion as fact.
James S. wrote:My fellow blogger James Allen has written about the idea of cars running only on electric power in the pitlane in the future.

hecti
hecti

This is my opinion, i know we all have them and we might get frustrated by what others think because it seems silly or stupid.
But what i find stupid is this green aspect that f1 is moving to. I honestly think that if you give engineers 150 liters of fuel to make it through a race and open up engine regs to allow any type of engine, they will find a way to get to the end of a race with less gas. You could even let them have a max battery weight to let them keep running kers (no 6sec bs).

If you really want a green race car, you could just take the jeremy clarkson approach and paint them green, that way you could say that "f1 one has the greenest race cars...in the world" and then not give a poo about what anyone else thinks

Or you could even tell the teams that for every gallon of fuel they burn they have to plant a tree, what a great idea!!!!

1,6l fuel flow restricted turbos.... really... that belongs in a mini, not in an f1 car, sorry whiteblue...

Jeffsvilleusa

I thought F1 are already engaged in some sort of carbon dioxide emission offset tree-planting program.

And of course we already had Honda's earth dreams. With all the teams onboard we could have some sort of solar system! Jupiter, Mars- the whole gang!

Anyhoo- I also thought putting an agenda on engineering developments was putting the cart before the horse, but who knows, the brains in F1 seem to know what they are doing- it seems as if they are listening to the fans: there's no shortage of overtaking now! Besides this, they seem to be adapting elements of F1 like slicks fans have asked for. Supposedly 2013 aero will potentially go in the direction of ground effects, to try to tip the scales from aero grip towards mechanical grip. Perhaps? Maybe?? Wait- isn't ground effects aero grip?

Open-ended engine development is of course any F1 fans wet dream, but there is the endless money sink issue, and it also allows 1 team to run away with the championship, something the teams collectively don't want. I think the regs are super-tight to keep it sporting. That being the case, why not make the engine green and kill two birds with one stone and remain viable to those who want to be represented by F1, companies that want to appear favorable to the general public. F1 with no stigmas attached!

Besides all this, the engineers will always exploit rules to create brilliant developments like the f-duct. Who knows how many developments are never revealed- things that go on under the bodywork.
Box! Box!

xpensive
xpensive

Nobody wants the four-pot formula in 2013, why it will not happen, or I'll eat an entire Caterham vehicle.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Muulka
Muulka

I really don't see how you can say that these engines definitely won't be introduced....

TBH, the two of you are both being quite stupid- the current V8s are gone, but the L4 rules may be modified before 2013. Or the current plans will stay.

And to those complaining about noise- at least they're not bringing in diesel. The LMPs now-a-days sound awful.

I will admit, personally I like the idea of these L4s, but I don't really mind- it's still going to be F1!

EDIT: xpensive, here's a prediction that you made in 2009 about Brawn GP. I think that you missed the mark somewhat then. Take from this what you will.

viewtopic.php?p=95770#p95770

HampusA

I don´t think sound will be an issue here really.

IT depends more on the exhaust setup i think but obviously we won´t get the same highpitched sound from todays cars. (TV doesn´t even do it justice)

V8 - 3L - Twin turbocharged - 470-480HP - 7750rpm - Ferrari F40.

I can´t imagine anyone ever complaining about the sound from a F40 despite two turbochargers.

Now imagine,

4 banger - 1.6L - Have no idea how many, maybe a tri-turbo setup - 600hp - 12.000rpm.

If you have listened to cars like Type-R, M3 E30 DTM etc you know it´s fully possible to make a 4 banger sound good and scream at the same time.
The truth will come out...

astracrazy
astracrazy

HampusA wrote: IT depends more on the exhaust setup i think but obviously we won´t get the same highpitched sound from todays cars. (TV doesn´t even do it justice)
actually i read that some of the sound you hear is actually the induction? i dunno though not sure if it was true. and your right, the tv is seriously poor for sound quality - i can never understand why they dull it down.

i think that f1 needs the sound, it is part of it. I think what we will get though is less of this engine/exhaust noise and perhaps more of a spool up of the turbo (coz them turbos will be giving some power)

HampusA

astracrazy wrote:
HampusA wrote: IT depends more on the exhaust setup i think but obviously we won´t get the same highpitched sound from todays cars. (TV doesn´t even do it justice)
actually i read that some of the sound you hear is actually the induction? i dunno though not sure if it was true. and your right, the tv is seriously poor for sound quality - i can never understand why they dull it down.

i think that f1 needs the sound, it is part of it. I think what we will get though is less of this engine/exhaust noise and perhaps more of a spool up of the turbo (coz them turbos will be giving some power)
Do you mean on todays F1 cars, the F40 or the 4 bangers like the M3 DTM?

If it´s the latter then partly yes, the induction noise is better sounding then the noise that exits the car ;) For me, induction noise is the best, F1´s included.

I´ve stood 2m from Alonsos 2005 F1 during start up and i can honestly say that TV probably gives us 5% of the actual sound ;) Of course it´s different engines now but there´s no doubt in my mind the cars are just as loud, maybe even more high-pitched.

Anyway, the car sounded like all hell broke loose, was just amazing when you could feel the engine noise inside of you.

So maybe the highpitched sound when the car comes at you is mostly induction but the exhausts are the louder voice for sure when they are moving away from you or if you stand right next to it.
Last edited by HampusA on 10 May 2011, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
The truth will come out...

Holm86

If PURE manages to get a 2013 spec engine in the test bed by the end of the year i hope they will make some videos of the engine.

So we can get some indication of the sound.

I guess it will be a mix of af screaming bike engine and a popping rally engine ...

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Nobody wants the four-pot formula in 2013, why it will not happen, or I'll eat an entire Caterham vehicle.
You can start eating. P.U.R.E.'s launch has cemented the legality of the engine rule. Todt will fight very hard to stop Ecclestone and Ferrari, who are the only opponents.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Formula None
Formula None

AMR-One engine:

Aside from being 2 cylinders shorter, will the F1 engines of 2013 differ much from what we see here?

rjsa
rjsa

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... 2F24914%2F

It seems that earth is being corroded beneath the I4 foundations...

Feliks

http://motorracing.blogspot.com/2006_12_01_archive.html

Monday, December 04, 2006

Something Interesting

Whenever I'm bored nowadays (like now when I'm in the midst of a major recursive portupgrade) I kinda like to click on the Stumble Button on the Firefox Stumble Upon toolbar. This time, this quite fabulous add-on brought me to this site: http://www.new4stroke.com/. Basically, the authors of the site claim to have created a new form of 4 stroke engine that basically replaces the old valve running gear.

I'm no mechanical engineer (my comment above should tell you the industry I work in) but this invention looks interesting (if it is indeed theirs). I have no idea if it is even theoretically possible but for a guy who's spent a lot of his life looking at various people taking engines apart and fixing them up again, this idea seems brilliant.

The engine utilizes a basic 4 stroke engine block. In the case of the "inventors" an old Fiat short block was used. Then, the cylinder heads are replaced with their invention. Now instead of having the intake and exhaust cycles controlled by cams and valves, the new heads have a single crankshaft. Yes, you read correctly. The heads have a crank. Attached to this overhead crank (??!!) are two pistons per cylinder. One piston is tasked with the air/fuel intake and the other lets exhaust gases out. The pistons move in a reciprocating manner but is pushed by the overhead crankshaft. This in turn in chain driven by the bottom end crank (at least it seems so in the gallery pictures).

Too complicated to explain further, you should have a look for yourself on the website in the How It Works section. Then the mechanical engineers among you can perhaps tell me if this engine should work or not. More importantly, can it burn hydrogen? All I know is right now, this type of engine is automatically banned by the current Formula 1 rules.

Posted by Qwerty at 12:34 AM 5 comments

Labels: 4 Stroke Engine, Overhead Crankshaft, Tech

Regards Andrew :D