McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
HampusA

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Does the "wing" under the nosecone produce any downforce or is it simply something that helps direct the air?
The truth will come out...

bot6
bot6

It probably produces some downforce, but it's mostly to direct the air.

You guys noticed the unpainted area on the pillars? Was that there before? If not, that smells like bendy pillars to me (so as not to have to bend the nose)...

wesley123
wesley123

it has been there for the whole season, i thought last year too, it is looking pretty awkward
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

Did they change the nose paintjob? Looks more like a Mika/Kimi era "West" liveried McLaren now - or it could be the angle...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

astracrazy
astracrazy

i see what you mean

not sure if its just the reflection but it does look like there more black and the silver is shaped more square/straight

thestig84
thestig84

astracrazy wrote:i see what you mean

not sure if its just the reflection but it does look like there more black and the silver is shaped more square/straight
Its just the reflection of the white pillar between the garages behind.

beelsebob wrote:
keoxiv wrote:Today:
For a minute I thought they'd invented a hovering wing element off to the left!

Interesting that they don't feel the need for the curve along the trailing edge any more.

The pylons have a very definite "twist" in them and looks a greater differencenon the spacing of the top and bottomnof the pillar to me. was that always like that..?

Not sure if its new, bur the ends of the wing have 3 steps/tunnels, the one that seperates the inside wheel/outside wheel flow (been there a long time) then a split (new?) seemingly mid-wheel that overlaps the base of the end plate (for more "droopy ends"?), the endplate base, then has the customary "tunnel" on it's outer edge.

beelsebob
beelsebob

beelsebob wrote:[Interesting that they don't feel the need for the curve along the trailing edge any more.

The pylons have a very definite "twist" in them and looks a greater differencenon the spacing of the top and bottomnof the pillar to me. was that always like that..?

Not sure if its new, bur the ends of the wing have 3 steps/tunnels, the one that seperates the inside wheel/outside wheel flow (been there a long time) then a split (new?) seemingly mid-wheel that overlaps the base of the end plate (for more "droopy ends"?), the endplate base, then has the customary "tunnel" on it's outer edge.
The 3 tunnels have always been there – interestingly, looking back at the launch pics, shots from the front seem not to show the curve on the trailing edge – I wonder if what I'm spotting is an optical illusion.

tunnel 2 (vs launch) no longer butts against the endplate upright.

Probably made the tunnel appear more pronounced, so I noticed it.

not sure about the optical illusion without another angle,but at lesst it's symmetrical :D

beelsebob
beelsebob

avatar wrote:tunnel 2 (vs launch) no longer butts against the endplate upright.

Probably made the tunnel appear more pronounced, so I noticed it.

not sure about the optical illusion without another angle,but at lesst it's symmetrical :D
No it's not, only the left hand side has the magical hovering extra winglet #-o #-o #-o

HampusA

Does anyone know where i can find good pictures of the steering wheel in all kinds of angles? Preferably the wheel detached.
The truth will come out...

MikeFromCanada

More pictures of the wing:

And the rear:

beelsebob
beelsebob

Nice, those pics seem to suggest what I was seeing is real, and not an illusion – also seems to be one fewer slots on the end plates.

astracrazy
astracrazy

can you show some comparison pics i can't see where your talking about?

thestig84
thestig84

beelsebob wrote: also seems to be one fewer slots on the end plates.
I dont think so...unless there are now 0 slots in the end plate now!! There has been only 1 endplate hole for sometime now, back as far as Aus for sure