Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marekk
marekk

Re: Mercedes GP W02

As marcush said, it's a matter of money.
Bernie could probably afford to build this parallel delta type of robot big enough to carry mock-up chassis with driver inside:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G59zTXV ... detailpage[/youtube]

Accelearation +30g, max speed +25m/s. Bumps and yaw no problem.
Obviously to sustain acceleration for +6s one need seriously long arms :)

Or one can use this type:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ2UHvZb ... detailpage[/youtube]

All you need then is +1km linear gantry :)

marcush.
marcush.

the real question is what´s on the plate justifying those enormous efforts getting near the real feeling for the driver.

beelsebob
beelsebob

marcush. wrote:the real question is what´s on the plate justifying those enormous efforts getting near the real feeling for the driver.
More to the point – what relevance does it have to a discussion about whether the simulator's times for driving round turkey are any where near accurate.

Hangaku

beelsebob wrote:
marcush. wrote:the real question is what´s on the plate justifying those enormous efforts getting near the real feeling for the driver.
More to the point – what relevance does it have to a discussion about whether the simulator's times for driving round turkey are any where near accurate.
I wish you would stop muddying the spam with facts ...

:mrgreen:
Yer.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So Mercedes have the new rear wing for Turkey. Looks very similar to the previous iteration but hopefully solves the re-attachment issues of the old wing.
A couple of other updates (minor) but none I could make out easily.
More could have been done.
David Purley

bot6
bot6

Anyone have some pictures of the novelties? And is there any news on the new cooling package promised by Brawn?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

David Purley

atanatizante

Somebody told that the perfect solution is the simplest one so regarding the ARW why they can`t activated on and off via cable (like a hand brake) and operated it manually with a lever placed on the right side of the driver (e.g. like brake balance bias handle?
Or maybe operated like brake balance bias system, but I think it`s hydraulic, isn`t it?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:So Mercedes have the new rear wing for Turkey. Looks very similar to the previous iteration but hopefully solves the re-attachment issues of the old wing.
A couple of other updates (minor) but none I could make out easily.
I'm guessing most will be internally with cooling solutions, ducting, etc.
Honda!

analist01
analist01

Im watching VP2 live and so far so good, with 18 minutes to go Mercedes is Up their with the Mclarens

1 Button (1.26:456) 2 Rosberg 3 Hamilton 4 Schumacher

Ferrari has big issues with Alonso whose car doenst look like its ready for tomorrow

Update to be followed

analist01
analist01

VP2 Results top 10

1 Button,2 Rosberg,3 Hamilton,4 Schumacher,5 Webber,6 Massa,7 Petrov,8 Di Resta,9 Perez,10 Sutil

Rosberg ahead of Schumacher with six tenth, Alonso having issues, Webber didnt do many laps, Vettel could not participate.

The Wo2 seemed well, altough right at the end i saw the a Virgin surpassing Schumacher which was quite enjoyable (not).

Lets see what tomorrow will bring.

bot6
bot6

The car hasn't changed much on the outside. Only two visible changes:

1) the gurney on the rear wing upper flap seems to be a bit bigger, which could sort their issues with flow reattachment

2) the Sauber style chimneys are gone from the top of the sidepods, so something has changed internally for cooling. Possibly the KERS packaging?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The W02 appears to be the 3rd quickest car at this GP.

Renault and Ferrari are testing bits and bobs, so there speed cannot be verified easily. Its also apparent how the W02 appears to oversteer in Schumi's hands but not that much in Rosberg's. Evident set up difference at Mercedes.

Mercedes will now be running more fuel than they usually do in practice, after the benefits it gave them in China, so Im optimistic of them getting a decent grid slot for the qualy session tommorow. Really hope Schumi can get the Benz in the top 10 too.
David Purley

atanatizante

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:The W02 appears to be the 3rd quickest car at this GP.

... W02 appears to oversteer in Schumi's hands but not that much in Rosberg's. Evident set up difference at Mercedes...
Yeap, they`ve split the workload for the FP2 ...
You could see Rosberg`s car bottoming and Michael`s not, both of them posting the same times in that frame of time,leading to think that maybe they`ve trying to check a high rake setup with Michael?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

JohnsonsEvilTwin

atanatizante wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:The W02 appears to be the 3rd quickest car at this GP.

... W02 appears to oversteer in Schumi's hands but not that much in Rosberg's. Evident set up difference at Mercedes...
Yeap, they`ve split the workload for the FP2 ...
You could see Rosberg`s car bottoming and Michael`s not, both of them posting the same times in that frame of time,leading to think that maybe they`ve trying to check a high rake setup with Michael?
Quite possibly.
Although I didnt notice any difference in the usual rake, we may be talking a few millimeteres here and there.
David Purley