Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hangaku

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

scarlet wrote:Here come the conspiracy theories...

http://mccabism.blogspot.com/2011/05/re ... ables.html
The dirty cheats! :lol:

I suspect that cables with such a small diameter would make very little difference to the flexibility of the wing. They look like straws, which is exactly what some people are grasping at.
Yer.

shamikaze
shamikaze

you'd be surprised how little tension would be needed to avoid the bedning, but equally surprised how much tension a tiny cable like that can actualy handle.

I'd not be surprised if this would turn out to be "it"; If so, expect either FIA to check it and validate (or ban) it, either it rapidly being copied by others.

myoozikk
myoozikk

So apparently Red Bull have put up a curtain to avoid anyone seeing in the pits as they repair Seb's car. I thought this wasn't allowed during a race weekend, only during pre-season testing, or am i way off the mark.

Rikhart
Rikhart

myoozikk wrote:So apparently Red Bull have put up a curtain to avoid anyone seeing in the pits as they repair Seb's car. I thought this wasn't allowed during a race weekend, only during pre-season testing, or am i way off the mark.
they mentioned on the BBC there is an unwritten rule that if you have a crash, it is allowed.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Those wires look a bit on the thick side, to be merely a sensor link. Plus, 2 on each side. Weird.

tinvek
tinvek

it could explain why the technical delegate was so keen to have a look at vettel's car as soon as it got back to the pits

marekk
marekk

shamikaze wrote:you'd be surprised how little tension would be needed to avoid the bedning, but equally surprised how much tension a tiny cable like that can actualy handle.

I'd not be surprised if this would turn out to be "it"; If so, expect either FIA to check it and validate (or ban) it, either it rapidly being copied by others.
One of the best at the moment is Plasma rope made form Spectra fibers.
At 2 mm diameter tensile strength > 6kN.
Those wires doesn't look electrical to me - some copper should be visible.

bot6
bot6

They're not electric. They look more like fiber optic to me.

If it is indeed a structural cable changing the stiffness of the wing, I'm pretty sure the FIA will pick it up this time. But I very much doubt that's the case. This is probably just fiber-optics for telemetry (an accelerometer at the tip of the wing?).

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

Nice shot of Red Bull's (new I think?) rear wing.

Work. Of. Art.

beelsebob
beelsebob

TheWiseOwl wrote:Nice shot of Red Bull's (new I think?) rear wing.

Work. Of. Art.
I find it pretty hard to believe that this big mass of actuator in the middle is as efficient as the tiny levers some other teams have.

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

beelsebob wrote: I find it pretty hard to believe that this big mass of actuator in the middle is as efficient as the tiny levers some other teams have.
Although it may also serve the same purpose as the shark fins of years past, but I agree with you.

kalinka
kalinka

+1, On this pic it's looking suprisingly bulky.

beelsebob
beelsebob

TheWiseOwl wrote:
beelsebob wrote: I find it pretty hard to believe that this big mass of actuator in the middle is as efficient as the tiny levers some other teams have.
Although it may also serve the same purpose as the shark fins of years past, but I agree with you.
What, they're funnelling air up to it with the driver able to stop the flow to stall out the wing >.> </conspiracy>

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I think this actuator is more efficient than most others. Look at how narrow it is. And actually the added length makes it more aerodynamic, not less.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Another image of wing wires