Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NormalChris
NormalChris

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

TheWiseOwl wrote:

Maybe its the perspective but it seems like a pretty low DF setup for wet weather.

Shrek
Shrek

new rear brake ducts along with the wing in the previous post(courtesy of scarbs)
Spencer

scarlet
scarlet

bot6 wrote:They're not electric. They look more like fiber optic to me.

If it is indeed a structural cable changing the stiffness of the wing, I'm pretty sure the FIA will pick it up this time. But I very much doubt that's the case. This is probably just fiber-optics for telemetry (an accelerometer at the tip of the wing?).
http://images.planetf1.com/10/05/800x60 ... 454991.jpg

Two very similar wires on a Williams, so likely you're right and it's sensor related.

Francesc
Francesc

scarlet wrote:
http://images.planetf1.com/10/05/800x60 ... 454991.jpg

Two very similar wires on a Williams, so likely you're right and it's sensor related.
That was when the front wing flap could be adjusted from the cockpit, so different matter!

The new rear wing looks to be very low downforce config, I think they have so much rear downforce that they don't need a big rear wing.

marekk
marekk

bot6 wrote:They're not electric. They look more like fiber optic to me.

If it is indeed a structural cable changing the stiffness of the wing, I'm pretty sure the FIA will pick it up this time. But I very much doubt that's the case. This is probably just fiber-optics for telemetry (an accelerometer at the tip of the wing?).
Could be, but then data gathering electronics have to be inside nosecone - no way to reliably route optical fibre to the rest of the car through nosecone joints.
Fibre cables i work with don't bend at 90 degree either, they are all designed to follow minimal bending radius.

By the look of RBR's mechanics faces we should hear something more about those cables soon :D

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

It seemed to me that the pic was from 2009. Were adjustable front wings legal then? I say that because of the Williams KERS sponsorship sticker ..

zgred

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

myoozikk wrote:So apparently Red Bull have put up a curtain to avoid anyone seeing in the pits as they repair Seb's car. I thought this wasn't allowed during a race weekend, only during pre-season testing, or am i way off the mark.
All teams do this or something similar. I don't think there is anything wrong with this and if anything it'll annoy Ferrari and McLaren even more as they will think there is something hide even if there isn't. Plus it cuts out any distractions for the mechanics.

Re. all this talk about the wires: to suggest that this is anything other than part of some sensor on the wing is just complete rubbish. Do you not think the FIA would have found it by now? #-o

Funny that Willaims clearly had this last year but no one cared, now the evil Red Bull have these wires it must be something untoward and they must clearly be cheating. Seriously, if I'm ever in court charged with something I now know who to avoid for my defence! No conspiracy to be found here, the car is just damn good. Nuff said!

beelsebob
beelsebob

andrew wrote:
myoozikk wrote:So apparently Red Bull have put up a curtain to avoid anyone seeing in the pits as they repair Seb's car. I thought this wasn't allowed during a race weekend, only during pre-season testing, or am i way off the mark.
All teams do this or something similar. I don't think there is anything wrong with this and if anything it'll annoy Ferrari and McLaren even more as they will think there is something hide even if there isn't. Plus it cuts out any distractions for the mechanics.

Re. all this talk about the wires: to suggest that this is anything other than part of some sensor on the wing is just complete rubbish. Do you not think the FIA would have found it by now? #-o

Funny that Willaims clearly had this last year but no one cared, now the evil Red Bull have these wires it must be something untoward and they must clearly be cheating. Seriously, if I'm ever in court charged with something I now know who to avoid for my defence! No conspiracy to be found here, the car is just damn good. Nuff said!
There was a legit reason for williams having it last year – movable front wing elements, that doesn't apply this year... But I agree, this is crazy speculation, it's almost certainly telemetry lines. I find it commical that something I ended with </conspiracy> got taken seriously.

Surely there's nothing wrong with having tensioning cables per se?

Anything that's actively changing the tension, or possibly even passively varies tension might be dodgy though.

You'd think at least someone in F1 would have played with "growing" some carbon nanotubes for.tensioning, or teathers, as those things are supposed to be massively strong in tension...

andrew
andrew

beelsebob wrote:There was a legit reason for williams having it last year – movable front wing elements, that doesn't apply this year... But I agree, this is crazy speculation, it's almost certainly telemetry lines. I find it commical that something I ended with </conspiracy> got taken seriously.
The ones on the Williams may have been for the adjustable wing (we don't know that for definite). Judging by the thickness I am convinced that these are connected to sensors of some sort. The photo is not clear enough to say with any certainty though.

It is amazing that some people read far too much into somethings and the fact that the mention of conspiracy was a joke makes it even more laughable! :lol:

Shaddock

andrew wrote:
beelsebob wrote:There was a legit reason for williams having it last year – movable front wing elements, that doesn't apply this year... But I agree, this is crazy speculation, it's almost certainly telemetry lines. I find it commical that something I ended with </conspiracy> got taken seriously.
The ones on the Williams may have been for the adjustable wing (we don't know that for definite). Judging by the thickness I am convinced that these are connected to sensors of some sort. The photo is not clear enough to say with any certainty though.

It is amazing that some people read far too much into somethings and the fact that the mention of conspiracy was a joke makes it even more laughable! :lol:
Every team had them last year! How do you think they powered the electric motors in the wing end plates - fresh air?

andrew
andrew

Shaddock wrote:Every team had them last year! How do you think they powered the electric motors in the wing end plates - fresh air?
No need to be a tool about it. Were the electric motors wing mounted? Surely having the motor within the chassis and the adjustable flaps controlled by a spring and wire arrangement would be better.

As I said previously these look too thin to be anything other than electrical. If the Red Bull had an adjustable front wing it would have been discovered by now. Just a fuss over nothing this Red Bull wing.

rdr
rdr

tinvek wrote:it could explain why the technical delegate was so keen to have a look at vettel's car as soon as it got back to the pits
it could explain why Vettel spent so much time in the cockpit after Q3 in China.

beelsebob
beelsebob

rdr wrote:
tinvek wrote:it could explain why the technical delegate was so keen to have a look at vettel's car as soon as it got back to the pits
it could explain why Vettel spent so much time in the cockpit after Q3 in China.
What, he was busy realing in the front wing tensioning device? </conspiracy>