Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
rdr
rdr

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

beelsebob wrote:
rdr wrote:
tinvek wrote:it could explain why the technical delegate was so keen to have a look at vettel's car as soon as it got back to the pits
it could explain why Vettel spent so much time in the cockpit after Q3 in China.
What, he was busy realing in the front wing tensioning device? </conspiracy>
No, I think he just waited heating devices to cool down and flexing go away.

feynman
feynman

andrew wrote:Re. all this talk about the wires: to suggest that this is anything other than part of some sensor on the wing is just complete rubbish. Do you not think the FIA would have found it by now? #-o
How exactly would the FIA have "found it"? Found what? Exactly what current procedure does x-raying front wing sections for discovery of electrical mechanisms fall under?

Yes, I'd say it was wiring for strain gauges and load sensors sure - But if there were a couple of heating elements built into the wing, which when activated ontrack very slightly affected the modulus of elasticity of a heavily loaded structural component, and were deactivated and cooled in-time for scrutineering ... how *exactly* would this be discovered? Under what process?

The extra Honda fuel tank easily sailed through FIA scrutineering, race after race, till someone on the inside dropped a dime and Charlie appeared with an endoscope. Ferrari spring loaded floors passed till Stepney&Coughlan started texting. The FIA measure weights and check radii, the obvious monkey-work, what's going on buried inside wing mounts, they don't have clue 1, and neither does anyone on this forum.

I am not saying Red Bull are pulling a stunt, I am just kinda interested in why you are quite so confident in the clearly fallible FIA process to think the (reasonably reasonable) suggestion itself is laughable.

Rob01
Rob01

It may be laughable because Vettel had already exposed those cables before when he crashed out Webber last year. We have been through this whole conspiracy theory on the cables before. Just folks wishing or praying that Red Bull be caught doing anything.

Hangaku

It's not like we're all idiots, and it's not like people working and reporting in F1 are all idiots - it's not some crazy idea that we came up with because we all hate RedBull. Personally, I think feynman has a really good point (or idea!) about heating elements.
Yer.

Rob01
Rob01

Where have you read that there was a concern with the cables? Can you point me to one article? The cables were discussed at great length last year. Or did you forget?

feynman
feynman

Rob01 wrote:It may be laughable because Vettel had already exposed those cables before when he crashed out Webber last year. We have been through this whole conspiracy theory on the cables before. Just folks wishing or praying that Red Bull be caught doing anything.
Yeah, see ... like that - I don't get it, how does that make it laughable? Wires present last year when Vettel was driving a car famous for being photographed scraping its wing end-elements across the tarmac all year.
I don't see from those two statements of fact, where exactly the laughable comes in. In fact the opposite surely, no?

Now I'll agree it's probably wrong, and all wings are wired for data, but it's still called 'reasonable enquiry and rational exploration based on repeated as yet unexplained observation', that sort of behaviour actually sounds the exact polar-opposite of 'praying'.

No-one here has the schematics, so as yet, no-one here has quite earned the right to laugh at "at least within the ballpark of potential explanation" suggestions.

Oh oh, here comes Horner, "it's the rake", pay no attention to the men behind the curtain.

Rob01
Rob01

Your on a witch hunt. That's very laughable. As I said point me to an article stating that the wire/wing are being looked at besides someone on a message board.

paipa
paipa

Rob01 wrote:It may be laughable because Vettel had already exposed those cables before when he crashed out Webber last year.
They had adjustable front wings last year so FW cabling wasn't nearly as curious.

Rob01
Rob01

Point me to an article TODAY that says it's being investigated or even reported. It's going to become more laughable when I get no response.

Shaddock

andrew wrote:
Shaddock wrote:Every team had them last year! How do you think they powered the electric motors in the wing end plates - fresh air?
No need to be a tool about it. Were the electric motors wing mounted? Surely having the motor within the chassis and the adjustable flaps controlled by a spring and wire arrangement would be better.
The electic motors were wing mounted - and no, putting them in the chassis wouldn't be more efficient.

From an engineering point of view, if the wires were 'just' connected to sensors then why run 2 wires per pylon? You can put half a dozen or more sensors/guages in each half of the front wing, but, you would link these all up and run only one wire (data feed) per pylon back to the chassis.

ringo

Too much rake not good for u nuh uh!! :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3xfBMheHjs[/youtube]

Car bottomed out and instant stagnation under the floor.

The car was probably feeling too good and Vettel over indulged. Similar to Heidfeld in China turn 1.

About the wing, even if there were cables in it, theres no regs about the internal construction of the wing. They can put an assortment of sweets in the wing if they want.
So there is nothing to prove on the cables, even if they had something to do with flexing. There's nothing in the regulations on it i believe.
Last edited by ringo on 07 May 2011, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

beelsebob
beelsebob

ringo wrote:Too much rake not good for u nuh uh!! :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3xfBMheHjs[/youtube]

Car bottomed out and instant stagnation under the floor.

The car was probably feeling too good and Vettel over indulged. Similar to Heidfeld in China turn 1.
I'm not sure he was feeling too good – the previous lap he'd screwed up turn 8 and he'd said "I'll give it one more go and get it right guys" (paraphrased)... clearly he didn't.

wesley123
wesley123

that was a pretty hard impact.

What i saw in the vid was before the turn in to the last part he also had a really slight moment that he had to correct a little bit, probably went wide then and took too much kerb
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob
beelsebob

wesley123 wrote:that was a pretty hard impact.

What i saw in the vid was before the turn in to the last part he also had a really slight moment that he had to correct a little bit, probably went wide then and took too much kerb
Indeed, the kerb is almost certainly what screwed him, not sure I see where you're saying he had to correct the car, but yeh – he ran wide, much too wide in the wet.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Just a fan has reason to make the comparison Andrew.

On BBC ted kravitz reported that Charlie whiting went straight to Red Bull once the wreck arrived. He was inspecting "the front end" of the car "thoroughly", from behind the screens. Which incidentally aren't allowed at GP weekends, but unanimous agreement from teams allows a teamto use it for accidents as we saw today.

So, as whiting has already inspected the car to death.... Why would he be literally running to the RB garage to make further checks? A tip off? Something not as it should be?
More could have been done.
David Purley