Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

This picture is posted by zgred two pages back and I see no comment on it.
Heating elements in the wheels anybody?
This hunt for illegal construction is becoming ridiculous. If RBR apply a wing with adjustable flexing features, it would be a blatant violation of the rules with very grave consequences when discovered. I very much doubt RBR risking so much.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

mkeRed
mkeRed

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:So, as whiting has already inspected the car to death.... Why would he be literally running to the RB garage to make further checks? A tip off? Something not as it should be?
For the same reason doctors perform autopsies. Sure, he could of and did look at it while it was in one piece but since Charlie isn't allowed to wack it with a hammer to see the bits inside this is his chance.

forty-two

As a post of mine made last year was referenced, I thought it best just to clarify my thoughts at the time, and my thoughts now.

When Seb wiped JB out at Spa last year, he ripped off his front wing in the process, and when his front wing was sliding up the road, some STIFF cables were visible. So stiff in fact that when the wing in question had come to a halt some 50 yards up the road from where it started, the cables in question were standing up unsupported about a yard. It struck me at the time that Red Bull MIGHT be using a high tensile steel cable looped through the wing, up one pylon, around a motorised hook, and then back down the other pylon and across the wing the other side for their FFA mechanism which cleverly, defaulted to a position where their FW was rigid, but during the race they could adjust to anything other than the default position which would allow their wings to droop.

The cables seen today are a completely different kettle of fish. Almost certainly not strong enough for the thing I suspected previously (unless they are indeed nanotubes!). They also don't look thick enough to carry sufficient current to power a heater with much oomph, unless of course they are running at quite high voltage, but in that case their insulation looks too light.

But that does not mean that they're NOT doing something sneaky. Frankly those sort of sneaky ideas are what keep me interested in F1.

As for last year, they would have had a legitimate excuse to run such a device for FFA, but this year they would need to do something different to achieve the same behaviour as FFA is no longer.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

speedsense
speedsense

When carbon fiber breaks up like this, it would slice right through sensor wires or optic fiber and optic fiber cannot bend as those in the picture (if they are optic fiber)
To me, they look like steel or aluminum cabling. And looking closely at the broken wing bits, there appears to be sometype of pulley system involved. IMHO
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

Caito
Caito

Dragonfly wrote:This picture is posted by zgred two pages back and I see no comment on it.
Heating elements in the wheels anybody?
This hunt for illegal construction is becoming ridiculous. If RBR apply a wing with adjustable flexing features, it would be a blatant violation of the rules with very grave consequences when discovered. I very much doubt RBR risking so much.
http://www.formula1.com/wi/597x478/sutt ... tur753.jpg

Heating elements? Unless I'm missing something this is what I see:

-A brake fluid line.
-A cable, probably for wheel speed sensor, disc temp, etc
-Two wheel tethers(in red, the cables which I believe are kevlar(correctme plz)), FIA mandated two, one on each wishbone.

What do you suspect is being used for heating purposes?
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Formula None
Formula None

Formula None
Formula None

Mr Alcatraz

Rob01 wrote:Point me to an article TODAY that says it's being investigated or even reported. It's going to become more laughable when I get no response.
Not that I believe Red Bull have an illegal component to their wing. What is so damning, and laughable about there not being a report in an article about a plan to protest? I believe the FIA do some dimensional scrutineering on Friday. A team would be better served to raise a protest on Saturday if Red Bull is doing something sneaky, which I don't think they are. They almost assuredly have abandoned using it in quali and the race. And the later a protest is lodged is for sure the best way for the competition to time one, leaving the perp’s less time to set the car up with a legal wing if they have not already done so.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

The cables won't be for any kind of active system, those are clearly illegal so throw that idea out the window now.

If the cables aren't for sensors (which is most likely) then I suspect they will be structural. Most likely they provide tension when the wing begins to flex, and they are probably tuned to meet the FIA test. Possibly they went this route so they could adjust the flex of the front wing without having to redesign it? I mean, the FIA adjusted the test so much last year they needed an easier way to adjust it so it passed. They saved time an money while all the other teams had to build new wings :lol:

This is the real conspiracy, the wings don't give any performance gain, they just waste the teams resources :lol:

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Caito wrote: Heating elements? Unless I'm missing something this is what I see:

-A brake fluid line.
-A cable, probably for wheel speed sensor, disc temp, etc
-Two wheel tethers(in red, the cables which I believe are kevlar(correctme plz)), FIA mandated two, one on each wishbone.

What do you suspect is being used for heating purposes?
Perhaps I didn't manage to make it sound a bit sarcastic :(
Just wanted to show that the wing electrical heating theory and thus active wing properties adjustment is too far stretched and the cables most probably have a simpler explanation.
The picture just shows that lines and cables go through various parts all over the car.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

tom12333
tom12333

As far as hanging cables go I had very similar idea of that: http://mccabism.blogspot.com/2011/05/re ... ables.html, long long time ago (Belgian GP- Vettel crashes Button and loses his front wing). Sadly, it might be true as well as not true. We still don't know. Any idea?

There's my view on that (from the past) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8764&p=194684#p194684

And explanation of "cables saga" :lol: (form Belgian GP - the same cables as today - note that you cannot use adjustable front wing this season):

After that incident Ted said that they had problems attaching the cable to the new nose in the pits and said that it was the control cable for the front wing adjustment.

speedsense
speedsense

Diesel wrote:The cables won't be for any kind of active system, those are clearly illegal so throw that idea out the window now.

If the cables aren't for sensors (which is most likely) then I suspect they will be structural. Most likely they provide tension when the wing begins to flex, and they are probably tuned to meet the FIA test. Possibly they went this route so they could adjust the flex of the front wing without having to redesign it? I mean, the FIA adjusted the test so much last year they needed an easier way to adjust it so it passed. They saved time an money while all the other teams had to build new wings :lol:

This is the real conspiracy, the wings don't give any performance gain, they just waste the teams resources :lol:
Wires, especially 18-22 gauge (common for data logging), coated with High temp Raychem, don't stand a chance against from being pulled apart from the impact (which would stretch the raychem to break it, exposing the wires inside). No exposed wires are visible on either the wings or the nose bits. Secondly the shredded Carbon Fiber bits are like razor blades and would slice through said wiring like butter.
If indeed it were optic fiber data logging wire, again shredded Carbon Fiber could also slice easily through it, though OF has higher tensile strength in pulling of it. However, in the photo optic fiber cannot bend to such angles as the exposed wires are in.
What type of sensor would it be? Load cells or stain gauges?

If there are aero taps in the the wing and these "wires" are small rubber tubes to carry pressure to their sensors, where are the exposed taps on the wing? Or the flush mounted holes? Again rubber is easily sliced as well by CF and offers 0 resistance to pulling forces.
On a third note, if they are wing adjuster cables, why add weight (which Newey is very picky about) to create an adjuster in the nose rather that an adjuster right at the wing, easily reached by a tire guy? I don't recall ever seeing a wing adjustment at RBR made at the nose.

If the "wires" are in fact cables of some metal origin, how exactly do you structurally change the wing strength by pulling through the wing supports of the nose with cables, especially carbon fiber ones? Pulling in this matter would only bow the wing not strengthen it.

Though one could speculate (the conspiracy) that some type of mechanical device that exists inside the wing (for strengthening or structurally weakening the internal wing support) that is operated by pulling with cables to add/remove lateral strength to the wing piece intended to flex. This would mean that it can be operated by the driver in some fashion and would be illegal.
The guy in the picture carrying the wing makes no attempt to cover up any of the wing bits as he carried them in full view of teams in pit lane, so either the guy is unaware of their importance or they aren't important at all (for others to view)
Though if the motive was to cheat, the less people that know the better to keep it a secret. IMHO
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

HampusA

All i hope is that Newey will release a book when he´s done with F1.
Now that would be something interesting for sure and maybe he will spill the beans on some things that weren´t illegal but innovative.
The truth will come out...

kyniu
kyniu

wtf...watch again the vettels crash video and look at the rear wing (0.40s moment). There is a kind of comb - tooth on the top of the wing?

twoshots
twoshots

kyniu wrote:wtf...watch again the vettels crash video and look at the rear wing (0.40s moment). There is a kind of comb - tooth on the top of the wing?
Are you just looking at the white text on dark blue background?