Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

wesley123 wrote:
HampusA wrote:Doesn´t matter, the rules clearly state that it´s illegal for part on the car to flex. RBR wing does flex, thus it´s illegal. NO MATTER WHAT THE TESTS SAY.

The wing do flex more then 20mm aswell. Again, if you know the metric system you would agree only by going by pictures.
1.yes and on the other hand it is allowed to flex 20mm, see the contradiction.

2.Also, have you ever thought that the wing is within this 20mm flex with the load, but a front wing generates much more load thus, it will logically flex further.

3.Also have you noticed that that ground scraping of the front wing only happens under braking and kerbriding? isnt it logical that the front comes down under braking, thus it is more likely to hit the ground?

4.The RBR has more rake so the wing is automaticly closer to the ground, with ground effect it generates more df thus gets sucked closer to the ground. It is not flexing any more then another front wing, the front wing just generates more df, allowing more flex.

Apart from that, arent these tests there to deem if a car is legal or not? The RBR passes these tests so I cannot see in what way it is illegal.

I suggest you to take off your anti-red bull glasses and get a more objective stance.
Excellent post, thank you! =D>

gridwalker
gridwalker

Just_a_fan wrote:Theories are things that are proven.
Erm ... no ... far from it : Originally the word theory is a technical term from Ancient Greek. It is derived from theoria, meaning "a looking at, viewing, beholding", and refers to contemplation or speculation.

The word you were looking for is Theorem, which is derived from applying a theory to a concrete situation.

P.S.
Polyamory is wrong : you should never mix latin and greek roots ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Sebp

Well technically a theory provides a plausible explanation for all known facts.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

gridwalker wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:Theories are things that are proven.
Erm ... no ... far from it : Originally the word theory is a technical term from Ancient Greek. It is derived from theoria, meaning "a looking at, viewing, beholding", and refers to contemplation or speculation.
Nicely lifted from Wikipedia. A reference would have been nice...
The word you were looking for is Theorem, which is derived from applying a theory to a concrete situation.

P.S.
Polyamory is wrong : you should never mix latin and greek roots ;)
In modern scientific parlance, a theory is something that has been satisfactorily tested / proved by being repeatable etc., a hypothesis is something that proposes an answer but which isn't yet satisfactorily proven.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

HampusA

Just_a_fan wrote:In modern scientific parlance, a theory is something that has been satisfactorily tested / proved by being repeatable etc., a hypothesis is something that proposes an answer but which isn't yet satisfactorily proven.
Theories are analytical tools for understanding, explaining, and making predictions about a given subject matter.
The truth will come out...

SiLo

My theory is that by running the rake, they can get the front wing closer to the ground because of the silly rule about the reference plane (which can extend into the floor). By running more rake, they can run a softer suspension setup, allowing for more dive also as the rear isn't bottoming out. The end result is a lower front wing without the need to flex much.
Felipe Baby!

axle
axle

Sebp wrote:
axle wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote: Indeed so. Some have been suggesting this very thing elsewhere. Height sensors in the endplates for example.
So a car with a soft front end that dives under breaking is then penalised?
Couldn't you have a laser on the end plates pointing inwards to the nose cone. A sensor there could pick up any deflection.
Totally over engineered waste of money...but it would work I guess.
- Axle

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

axle wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote: Indeed so. Some have been suggesting this very thing elsewhere. Height sensors in the endplates for example.
Be easy enough to show that one was coincidental with the other. If the rule says "the distance between the wing and ground as measured by the system may not reduce by more than X [where X is an allowance for the fact that infinte stiffness is impossible]" and the sensor shows it does happen then the wing is illeagal. It might be reasonable to suggest that the braking zone should be given a greater allowance but that then gives a potential loophole.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Sebp wrote:
axle wrote:
Couldn't you have a laser on the end plates pointing inwards to the nose cone. A sensor there could pick up any deflection.
Yeah you would measure deflection from a fixed point, unfortunately that's not that simple since it's likely the nose flexes to. Roll hoop would be ideal if it wasn't incredibly impractical.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

axle
axle

SiLo wrote:My theory is that by running the rake, they can get the front wing closer to the ground because of the silly rule about the reference plane (which can extend into the floor). By running more rake, they can run a softer suspension setup, allowing for more dive also as the rear isn't bottoming out. The end result is a lower front wing without the need to flex much.
This is what I think too more or less - it's a combination of factors, rake, spring rates etc. It's not just a floppy bit of carbon.
- Axle

PlatinumZealot

axle wrote:
SiLo wrote:My theory is that by running the rake, they can get the front wing closer to the ground because of the silly rule about the reference plane (which can extend into the floor). By running more rake, they can run a softer suspension setup, allowing for more dive also as the rear isn't bottoming out. The end result is a lower front wing without the need to flex much.

This is what I think too more or less - it's a combination of factors, rake, spring rates etc. It's not just a floppy bit of carbon.
Praise the lord!!... finally! I don't see why people can't understand this!

Can westop talking about redbull cheating now? The wing is legal folks.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Formula None
Formula None

djos

^^^ That is an epic amount of rake! =D>
"In downforce we trust"

amouzouris

Am i the only one who believes that the whole car was designed around the extreme rake it has??

StrFerrari4Ever

Wow I didn't notice the rake that much during the Turkish GP weekend but it's still a lot. Other teams must be working hard to try emulating it I'm sure.