Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

amouzouris wrote:Am i the only one who believes that the whole car was designed around the extreme rake it has??
Eh? No. There's been a lot of talk about that. If you look at the car, in fact, it APPEARS as if setting up the floor flat would in fact mean the driver would be pointing upwards, the sidepod intakes would be facing upwards etc. So the car is "horizontal" when the floor is raked.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

djos

amouzouris wrote:Am i the only one who believes that the whole car was designed around the extreme rake it has??
Nope, I used pics similar to this about 300 pages ago to prove that the FW being close to the ground is 90% due to rake and only 10% flexing.
"In downforce we trust"

Fil

raymondu999 wrote:
Eh? No. There's been a lot of talk about that. If you look at the car, in fact, it APPEARS as if setting up the floor flat would in fact mean the driver would be pointing upwards, the sidepod intakes would be facing upwards etc. So the car is "horizontal" when the floor is raked.
Not to mention, the mirrors would be pointing at the ground! :lol:

What makes this so interesting is that their design has gone against the long-held convention to have the car as low as possible.

I wonder if the RB7's plank ever shows signs of wear.. does the rear ever squat/compress low enough, with that booty up in the air like that?
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Richard
Richard

Fil wrote:I wonder if the RB7's plank ever shows signs of wear.. does the rear ever squat/compress low enough, with that booty up in the air like that?
Surely designing for the plank to touch the ground would be illegal under any circumstances? pml
Last edited by Steven on 10 May 2011, 23:07, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: No shouting please

Fil

Richie L, did you see the HRT go through Turn 8 during quali in Turkey?
If there was a car following, the driver would've been driving through a fine mist of MDF. It was incredible!
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Steven
Owner

After some cleaning, the thread is now 5 pages shorter... sigh. Took some time

- many posts moved to Flexible wing topic
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9629&start=750
- All personal ranting, insults and trolling posts deleted
- Warnings sent
- Posts about the wires in that front wing left in here, perhaps we need to split them to another seperate topic as well...

Topic open again. Please discuss TECHNICAL matters of this car. Performance goes in the race threads, front wing flexing into the flexy FW thread.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

A fantastic piece by AutoMotor und Sport on the RB7, good way to kickstart the thread.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 11208.html

So even though they do have a higher rake by around 4cm's, it isn't because of rake itself that the car is quick.
Its a huge combination of things, when the rear compresses the front wing gets closer to the ground through rake and flex.

The engine also needs to carry more fuel as the Renault engine has to blow the diffuser constantly to get the effect working properly.
Thus why Red Bull dont appear as fast at the start of races, they carry more fuel. And is also a reason why Red Bull are happy with the more frugal nature of the Renault V8.
For every race track there is a different amount of fuel required, and this can be seen through how sometimes Red Bull are level pegging at some tracks, yet light years infront at others.
More could have been done.
David Purley

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I read somewhere about a revised diffuser on the RB7 of Vettel's car when he crashed it in Turkey .. I couldn't find pics though, and they reverted BOTH cars to the previous config for the weekend.

Seems we should expect a revised diffuser at the next venue.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

BreezyRacer wrote:I read somewhere about a revised diffuser on the RB7 of Vettel's car when he crashed it in Turkey .. I couldn't find pics though, and they reverted BOTH cars to the previous config for the weekend.

According to AMuS the whole car is acting as a diffuser!
David Purley

Richard
Richard

All cars act as diffusers over the whole length of the floor. The difference is that RB seem to do it more than others with a steeper rake.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

richard_leeds wrote:All cars act as diffusers over the whole length of the floor. The difference is that RB seem to do it more than others with a steeper rake.
Come now richard, thats not all now is it...
David Purley

HampusA

I wonder much effect their diffuser makes when it´s so high up, maybe i´m wrong but isn´t a diffuser more effective the closer you run it to the ground?

If yes, then surely the car must level out during higher speeds and with the front wing flexing some to still keep the FW close to the ground aswell?
The truth will come out...

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

HampusA wrote:I wonder much effect their diffuser makes when it´s so high up, maybe i´m wrong but isn´t a diffuser more effective the closer you run it to the ground?

If yes, then surely the car must level out during higher speeds and with the front wing flexing some to still keep the FW close to the ground aswell?
Generalizations are not the rule, especially if they've spent all winter working around making it work at varying ride heights and pitches. I think we can all see it works okay.

HampusA

BreezyRacer wrote:
HampusA wrote:I wonder much effect their diffuser makes when it´s so high up, maybe i´m wrong but isn´t a diffuser more effective the closer you run it to the ground?

Generalizations are not the rule, especially if they've spent all winter working around making it work at varying ride heights and pitches. I think we can all see it works okay.
Maybe you read someone else´s post then replied to mine?
The truth will come out...

djos

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:I read somewhere about a revised diffuser on the RB7 of Vettel's car when he crashed it in Turkey .. I couldn't find pics though, and they reverted BOTH cars to the previous config for the weekend.

According to AMuS the whole car is acting as a diffuser!
I wonder if the exhaust is angled in such a way as to virtually extend the height of the diffuser downwards and with the high rear ride height and rake it creates a huge single diffuser?
"In downforce we trust"