Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TURU
TURU

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Apart from the fact that I disagree with you completely, you are mostly talking rubbish, because the tires are making for great racing this year - not DRS or KERS (just read what Alonso, Gascoyne and others are saying) .... how is your post relevant to this thread :?:

beelsebob
beelsebob

atanatizante wrote:From a driver`s point of view I think it`s time to take some early conclusion, therefore:

I don't like this year’s F1 too much. Only for one reason: THE TYRES. I like DRS and KERS, they make everything very exciting but my problem is with these tyres that are crap literally. Indeed and for good reason the majority of F1 fans wants to see more action translated in more overtaking maneuvers but what is now it`s a real farce. Some of us (and I hope we are not a few) are not interested in watching which driver is the most gentle with the tyres, because this is not the fundamental idea of F1! Because I think that in F1 it should be all about racing who can put the maximum from the car. We want true racers taking battles wheel to wheel like Senna and Prost did in the 90`s !

Nowadays even if you have the best car out there you can`t defend anymore because that could ruin your tyres and hence lose the race. A single silly mistake like Schumacher did in Q3 or Hamilton in the start of the race you could lose 1-1,5 sec. per lap and the tyre life is for sure at least 30% reduced. And what is outrageous is the fact that event with the hard tyre you couldn`t defend anymore because a very late or even a misjudged brake could end with a destroyed tyre forcing you to go to the pits in order to change them. For example you should look how simple was Hamilton passing Vettel in China. In this case one driver opted not to defend but in other case someone opts to fight and after the duel his lap time and the other drivers involved falls 1 or 2 sec. per lap. You could easily say that is the problems only with soft tyre that last only 6-10 laps, but in fact what`s the difference between soft and hard? 5 or maybe 7 laps? That means that only a small driver error where he pushes little to much (slide, wheel lock,...) ruins the tyre, and he reduces the 10 laps to four laps or something.

Has anyone noticed that nowadays hardly anyone falls out because of driver error, no more wheel locks, driving on the limit? Also if a car has a tiny miss balance that will directly influence the tyres and the driver will lose time.

And if all engineers are trying to make the best possible material they can it can't be that the Pirelli guys are investing millions in to a tyre that lasts as least as possible, that makes no sense. Miles per gallon contest and who can watch their tyres better contests should be left out to the general public.

If people would like more stops, what the heck make 2-3 stops mandatory and the tyres must last at least 15 laps for the soft ones. It`s a easy solution. You can be sure that the stops will still not happen at the same time, there will still be some strategy. And saying that would be artificial it`s a no brainer because all is artificial nowadays. They even could do some changes this year switching the tyres policy with harder one, e.g. for this race (Turkey) they must have been medium and extra hard tyres with mandatory 3 stops, don`t you think? Or maybe they should kept Bridgestone and add DRS + KERS …

In today’s formula even Senna would suck, because he would blow his tyre in 1/2 a lap. And I don't blame Schumacher for not dominating anymore because it's a totally different contest these days. In his 20+ carrier he rarely practiced to drive gently or take care of the tyres, it was always to drive full throttle as fast as you can. But nowadays he can't go full throttle even on one LAP in Q3. So you can't blame him really. This F1 is not for Schumacher and the bad thing is the fact that he was aware of that way back in 2009 when he signed for Merc, unfortunately for us who thought it would come back to go for the 8th WDC. We have to face the facts that he is here just for 2 reasons: 1. To help the team with his knowledge (both winning and car development skills) and put them into a winning position and 2.Just for pure fun, because you have to realize from a racer point of view that he doesn`t have anything to prove anymore and to anybody. And even if he wants that he doesn`t have the same motivation, reflexes and the right F1 for his style anymore.

Good bay F1 for pure racers and welcome F1 for pure gentle drivers aka. “softnessers”. Nowadays is no more formula Senna or Schumacher, is formula Prost.

I wished people would invest this millions in F1 also for analyzing how racing should really be and not making this fundamental decisions ad-hoc.
Wow, you're gonna try and make this relevant to every thread and post it everywhere? What do you have to gain by that?

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

TURU wrote:Apart from the fact that I disagree with you completely, you are mostly talking rubbish, because the tires are making for great racing this year - not DRS or KERS (just read what Alonso, Gascoyne and others are saying) .... how is your post relevant to this thread :?:

Ok it's off topic but it's not because you don't agree with him that he is talking rubbish.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Teams will learn the tyres, Pirelli can't keep changing the compounds forever.

bot6
bot6

Getting back to the W02, here is what we know as far as updates for the next GP are concerned:

Announced updates:
- Cooling system (announced by Brawn)
- Suspension refinements (announced by Schumacher)
- Exhaust update (announced by Brawn)

Probable updates:
- New floor (to go with exhaust updates)
- New diffuser (to go with exhaust updates)
- New sidepods and engine cover (to house the new cooling system)
- New exhaust would be FEE (according to the Italian press... but that's more a reason not to believe it)

Maybe / maybe not updates:
- New front and rear wings to go with the whole package
- New bendy front end

Feell free to amend the list if you have more info than I do guys!

marekk
marekk

bot6 wrote:Getting back to the W02, here is what we know as far as updates for the next GP are concerned:

Announced updates:

Probable updates:
- New exhaust would be FEE (according to the Italian press... but that's more a reason not to believe it)

- New bendy front end

- New engine mappings
- New bargeboards
- New radiators

as a consequence of new exhaust, if FEE.

Pierce89

atanatizante wrote:From a driver`s point of view I think it`s time to take some early conclusion, therefore:

I don't like this year’s F1 too much. Only for one reason: THE TYRES. I like DRS and KERS, they make everything very exciting but my problem is with these tyres that are crap literally. Indeed and for good reason the majority of F1 fans wants to see more action translated in more overtaking maneuvers but what is now it`s a real farce. Some of us (and I hope we are not a few) are not interested in watching which driver is the most gentle with the tyres, because this is not the fundamental idea of F1! Because I think that in F1 it should be all about racing who can put the maximum from the car. We want true racers taking battles wheel to wheel like Senna and Prost did in the 90`s !

Nowadays even if you have the best car out there you can`t defend anymore because that could ruin your tyres and hence lose the race. A single silly mistake like Schumacher did in Q3 or Hamilton in the start of the race you could lose 1-1,5 sec. per lap and the tyre life is for sure at least 30% reduced. And what is outrageous is the fact that event with the hard tyre you couldn`t defend anymore because a very late or even a misjudged brake could end with a destroyed tyre forcing you to go to the pits in order to change them. For example you should look how simple was Hamilton passing Vettel in China. In this case one driver opted not to defend but in other case someone opts to fight and after the duel his lap time and the other drivers involved falls 1 or 2 sec. per lap. You could easily say that is the problems only with soft tyre that last only 6-10 laps, but in fact what`s the difference between soft and hard? 5 or maybe 7 laps? That means that only a small driver error where he pushes little to much (slide, wheel lock,...) ruins the tyre, and he reduces the 10 laps to four laps or something.

Has anyone noticed that nowadays hardly anyone falls out because of driver error, no more wheel locks, driving on the limit? Also if a car has a tiny miss balance that will directly influence the tyres and the driver will lose time.

And if all engineers are trying to make the best possible material they can it can't be that the Pirelli guys are investing millions in to a tyre that lasts as least as possible, that makes no sense. Miles per gallon contest and who can watch their tyres better contests should be left out to the general public.

If people would like more stops, what the heck make 2-3 stops mandatory and the tyres must last at least 15 laps for the soft ones. It`s a easy solution. You can be sure that the stops will still not happen at the same time, there will still be some strategy. And saying that would be artificial it`s a no brainer because all is artificial nowadays. They even could do some changes this year switching the tyres policy with harder one, e.g. for this race (Turkey) they must have been medium and extra hard tyres with mandatory 3 stops, don`t you think? Or maybe they should kept Bridgestone and add DRS + KERS …

In today’s formula even Senna would suck, because he would blow his tyre in 1/2 a lap. And I don't blame Schumacher for not dominating anymore because it's a totally different contest these days. In his 20+ carrier he rarely practiced to drive gently or take care of the tyres, it was always to drive full throttle as fast as you can. But nowadays he can't go full throttle even on one LAP in Q3. So you can't blame him really. This F1 is not for Schumacher and the bad thing is the fact that he was aware of that way back in 2009 when he signed for Merc, unfortunately for us who thought it would come back to go for the 8th WDC. We have to face the facts that he is here just for 2 reasons: 1. To help the team with his knowledge (both winning and car development skills) and put them into a winning position and 2.Just for pure fun, because you have to realize from a racer point of view that he doesn`t have anything to prove anymore and to anybody. And even if he wants that he doesn`t have the same motivation, reflexes and the right F1 for his style anymore.

Good bay F1 for pure racers and welcome F1 for pure gentle drivers aka. “softnessers”. Nowadays is no more formula Senna or Schumacher, is formula Prost.

I wished people would invest this millions in F1 also for analyzing how racing should really be and not making this fundamental decisions ad-hoc.
Actually Senna would be just as good. Most of what you said is untrue. The drivers are pushing when they need to. Last year they only pushed when they needed to. I think it is light years better than 2010 and I'm a Ferrari fan,so that's saying something.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

dren

bot6 wrote:Getting back to the W02, here is what we know as far as updates for the next GP are concerned:

Announced updates:

Probable updates:

- New bendy front end

I don't expect much visually on the car to change. Maybe the exhaust outlet will have a few updates around it. I don't expect the FEE and I don't expect to see any new wings. A FEE would require a whole rethinking of the aero design and floor design.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

Well, something is certainly visibly changing as the car must go through certain impact testing again. I believe to the sides.

bot6
bot6

Where did you get that info that they have to crash-test the car?

aral
aral

Ferraripilot wrote:Well, something is certainly visibly changing as the car must go through certain impact testing again. I believe to the sides.
Surely, as the tubs are homologated, they cannot be changed, so crashtest would not be needed, that is unless FIA or somebody else has noticed a failure or weakness?

Ferraripilot

bot6 wrote:Where did you get that info that they have to crash-test the car?

The Italian article at the above link mentions the possiblity of substantial changes to the sidepods needing new side crash-testing.

IF they do indeed have a FEE, we will at the minimum see new sidepods and a new floor, and I bet a different diffuser is thrown in as well. There's no way to make the FEE work to best otherwise.

mantikos
mantikos

Ferraripilot wrote:
bot6 wrote:Where did you get that info that they have to crash-test the car?

The Italian article at the above link mentions the possiblity of substantial changes to the sidepods needing new side crash-testing.

IF they do indeed have a FEE, we will at the minimum see new sidepods and a new floor, and I bet a different diffuser is thrown in as well. There's no way to make the FEE work to best otherwise.
Scarbs posted on his twitter that a 'certain team' was requesting the FIA to let them change side impact bars and structure and that it was a matter of time before he would reveal the name...before the whole Sutton images oredeal...so i would imagine it's Mercedes...whcih would explain why they didn't bring significant upgrades up until this pt, all resoures are busy reworking the car

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Some very exciting updates for mercedes at barcelona including a rumored front exit exhaust..... Source - Speed TV

"Mercedes To Debut Renault-Like Side Exhausts - Report: Mercedes is reportedly set to introduce a Renault-like approach to its 2011 car's exhaust layout for debut in Barcelona next weekend. It was already rumored that the German team is perhaps now closer than any other to imitating Red Bull's flexible front wing. "For Barcelona we have some aerodynamic developments that should bring us a step in performance," team boss Ross Brawn told Auto Motor und Sport. AS newspaper said the main feature of Mercedes' Spanish upgrade is side-exiting exhausts, with Red Bull's Adrian Newey admitting recently that innovation has been the most impressive of the season so far. Said team driver Nico Rosberg: "Most teams are bringing new things, but I think ours could be better than the others to bring us a little closer to the top." Meanwhile, Italy's Autosprint said McLaren is set to move forward in Barcelona in the crucial new area of engine mapping settings for the blown exhaust. "For Turkey we'd planned to introduce a couple of useful upgrades, but for several reasons we weren't able to get them onto the car," revealed Jenson Button."

EDIT - Link... http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... -briefs94/

Not sure how credible this is but IF they are infact testing new side impact structures then it definitely makes it a bit more believable.

Timstr
Timstr

luca wrote:According to the Italian press, Mercedes GP will have heavily modified sidepods and front exhausts (similar to Renault's solution) at Barcelona. Rumor has it that the car will be 0.5 seconds faster per lap.

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/8750/f ... us-renault

It looks like they are the only ones on the web reporting this, so I have no idea if it is true or not. I just ran into it and wanted to share and see what you think about it.
Have a hard time believing this article. Since when did Tim Densham become Chief Designer at Mercedes GP? Don't believe it's true. Reports are he retired after leaving Renault.

The cars are on their way to Barcelona. The Spanish GP is next week. Yet the article and others speak of a request for a new crash test? If they're ready to introduce this massive redesign, things like crash tests will have been done and approved long ago.

At the start of the season there was speculation of failing a crash test that was needed so they could "race with a new exhaust configuration":http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89720
The current exhaust configuration does not run anywhere near the side impact structures. So if the Barcelona developments are true, these were planned since winter testing and the crash test was done and passed around the start of the season.