How does Vettel compare to other drivers?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
HampusA

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Ok thanks again m8!
The truth will come out...

hollus

chepoi wrote:Why Vettel is so quick.... Vettel VS Webber Onboard Lap Side by Side

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR2EoZqS ... ture=feedu[/youtube]
I re-post the video since it is already one page back...

It seems to me that both start and end the corner equally far to the outside end of the track, with small differences from corner to corner. But while Vettel seems to position his car there, that far outside, way before he starts turning in, Webber seems to stay a bit more to the inside of the track during the braking area, then push the car the last bit to the outside in the last possible moment and keeps on turning in from there. Almost like a mini scandinavian flick. Not sure this will affect speed much, though.

I found this more interesting:
Formula None wrote:Interesting how vettel lets the headrest carry the weight of his head through the corners rather than leaning in. Is that normal? Who else drives like that?
If you compare this:

and this:

it would look like that out of center helmet has to have an influence in the Aero. Air from the driver's helmet is one of the most messy flows in an F1 car. Can this possibly have a significant effect? Both air flow around the airbox and flow between the helmet and the lateral helmet protections in the cockpit should be affected.
Rivals, not enemies.

marcush.
marcush.

HampusA wrote:
marcush. wrote:the Video analysis nicely shows that Mark is trying a bit too hard and is looking for the time in the wrong places.
As we have seen already the pirellis do not like any overdriving and maybe that´s the main point ..not to try too hard.
Another thing he doesn´t do is use 110% of the track. Vettel is much better at using all the track, and then some. Only by doing that will squeeze out higher entry-mid-exit speeds.

I think Vettel is a phenom when it comes to hotlapping or when he races by himself leading or whatever.
I think the problems for him is when he´s got someone ahead of him like Hamilton, Alonso or Webber for instance. They are juggernauts when it comes to battles and i haven´t really seen that part of Vettel just yet.
Ah ..that´s really basic stuff ...I had thought in F1 all used the available tarmac and a bit more...but you are right Vettel is quite a bit better with using the track.
too much turning the steering wheel is killing speed like hell...

beelsebob
beelsebob

HampusA wrote:
marcush. wrote:the Video analysis nicely shows that Mark is trying a bit too hard and is looking for the time in the wrong places.
As we have seen already the pirellis do not like any overdriving and maybe that´s the main point ..not to try too hard.
Another thing he doesn´t do is use 110% of the track. Vettel is much better at using all the track, and then some. Only by doing that will squeeze out higher entry-mid-exit speeds.

I think Vettel is a phenom when it comes to hotlapping or when he races by himself leading or whatever.
I think the problems for him is when he´s got someone ahead of him like Hamilton, Alonso or Webber for instance. They are juggernauts when it comes to battles and i haven´t really seen that part of Vettel just yet.
We have seen him in that situation before, and it resulted both times in him and the car he was attacking crashing (Webber at Turkey and Button at Spa both last year). That said, I think a lot of that will be down to him being impetuous. I would expect that now with the championship behind him he might calm down a bit and go for good opportunities, rather than taking himself out.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

hollus wrote:
chepoi wrote:...
it would look like that out of center helmet has to have an influence in the Aero. Air from the driver's helmet is one of the most messy flows in an F1 car. Can this possibly have a significant effect? Both air flow around the airbox and flow between the helmet and the lateral helmet protections in the cockpit should be affected.
The Question is how does this disturbed flow effect the critical surfaces of the car and to what percentage of what time, i agree by keeping a neutral head will be more efficient, but whether it is a difference that is appreciable on track with a million other variables with more influence to the cars behaviour is another issue.

And on Vettels race craft, i think we shall see what he is truely capable of this year in that regards
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:
rayden wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I didn't actually get much from the video though - sure it showed a bit; but a lot of it was just "Vettel brakes later, Vettel gets on the power earlier, Vettel carries greater apex speeds." Am I missing something here? :?
Brundles analysis is wrong imo. most of the sat afternoon differences between them both comes from mark's tardy use (comparatively) of the DRS.

however drifting off topic here..
Some of it will no doubt stem from that. However, I think he's (Brundle) got a point there as well; Vettel seems better on the brakes, and able to carry more speed through. He takes just the right amount of apex speed for his lines too. Last year, Vettel was the one who was going wide at every corner exit; trying to maximise the track; as well as use some of the astro, even. But here you can see him use a lot less of that; instead he's carrying just a good amount of speed through each corner.

This is actually making me slightly wonder. I wonder if; Vettel was actually an above-average/good driver in a wonderful car last year; and hence he was still in Webber's reach to outqualify. But now, with the added WDC confidence; it has transformed him in a way that has unleashed a lot of new speed, while Mark has not progressed from the end of last year.
I sort of agree with you. I'm a rabid Alonso fan,but I'm afraid the WDC confidence has unleashed that last bit of speed Vettel needed to be on a level with the likes of Alonso,Hamilton etc.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

HampusA wrote:

I also sort of agree with this theory.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

PlatinumZealot

When your car has the Downforce of an exxon modil oil drill you sure are gonna lap consistent!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

danmtb951

Pierce89 wrote: I sort of agree with you. I'm a rabid Alonso fan,but I'm afraid the WDC confidence has unleashed that last bit of speed Vettel needed to be on a level with the likes of Alonso,Hamilton etc.
Vettel is 23 years old - come on!!! Hamilton is 26 & Alonso is 29

Of course he is getting better with each season, just from maturing, learning, and improving his skills. Add a WDC and the best car in the field and you get 1, 1, 2, 1 with four poles. Simple.

HampusA

But still, Hamilton and Vettel have raced together before,

Formula 3 Euroseries where Hamilton dominated. During the whole season Vettel got one fastest lap. While Hamilton had 13/20 Pole Positions, 10/20 Fastest laps, 15/20 wins.

He´s a good driver for sure but as far as pure talent or when it starts to get wet, Hamilton is the quickest guy since Senna in F1.

No doubt that he will evolve as a driver, the question for me is how much. You know everything starts to go downhill and the car isn´t the quickest anymore etc.

beelsebob
beelsebob

HampusA wrote:But still, Hamilton and Vettel have raced together before,

Formula 3 Euroseries where Hamilton dominated. During the whole season Vettel got one fastest lap. While Hamilton had 13/20 Pole Positions, 10/20 Fastest laps, 15/20 wins.

He´s a good driver for sure but as far as pure talent or when it starts to get wet, Hamilton is the quickest guy since Senna in F1.

No doubt that he will evolve as a driver, the question for me is how much. You know everything starts to go downhill and the car isn´t the quickest anymore etc.
But they were in different cars, so the comparison is as flawed as it is now. The only way we'll ever tell is if Vettel moves to McLaren, which, based on his aspirations to Ferrari sounds unlikely.

HampusA

Well Hamilton in the year before (rookie year) was also in a different team.
Took 1 pole, 2 fastest laps, 1 race won.

Yea Hamilton as expressed feelings in moving to RBR :)
I doubt Vettel will be in a Ferrari, i think that spot is taken by a certain Pole ;)

Rob01
Rob01

Or Lewis moves to Red Bull.

HampusA

Would love to see Vettel and Hamilton at Ferrari in the future. I´m sure they both want it before their career is over.

PlatinumZealot

It would be a one sided fight. I mean, Vettel is not even used to having other cars within a 10 meter radius. How is he gonna handle the beastly Boss? Even getting pole positions would be a huge ask for Vettel with Hamilton in the other car.

Outmatched in speed, craft, guts, aggression, passing... one sided fight I tell yah.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028