How does Vettel compare to other drivers?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Re: How does Vettel compare to other drivers?

rfs +1
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

HampusA

raymondu999 wrote:Most said Lewis would blow Jenson away too.
I think he did last year. it was closer between him and alonso then button/hamilton.
The truth will come out...

beelsebob
beelsebob

To be honest, I think he did – Clearly ahead on points last year, won every battle where the two have gone head to head on track, and clearly ahead on points this year.

bhall
bhall

Fellas, I think that was mentioned because it should come as no surprise that Hamilton is beating this particular former World Champion.

HampusA

i'm very interested in where Kubica is in this group, everything ive read about him is that the other drivers have huge respect for him and that he's one of toughest guys to overtake.

When BMW had their terrific car in 08 i rooted for him, he showed some glimpses of excellence and coolness when he won at Canada for instance.
Unfortunately BMW is out so i don't root for a particular team anymore. just hope he gets a good car in the future so we can see some more.

marcush.
marcush.

the more you win the better you get.Vettel is less prone to mistakes right now and it´s more than obvious he has improved since last year.
Webber has lost considerably compared to Vettel as we can see every weekend .Vettel surely was already top 10 material in F1 last year but not on a par with Alonso and Hamilton maybe not even as strong as kubica, Button or Rosberg .I would have put him in a range of 7-10 of the current drivers but not higher really.
This year ...no doubt he is top even though we have to consider the season as almost a copy of the brawn season of Jenson Button who demolished the opposition when Barrichello had not a single clean raceweekend.

Mandrake
Mandrake

I think a very good comparison can be made from ROC results. In 2009, Vettel was the best driver there, no doubt, 2010 he was too showy, too happy about his WDC.

In F1 the good driver in the best car always wins. Yes, the RB7 is the machine to beat at the moment, but in 2007 and 2008 the McLaren was the car to beat, and Hamilton was up there too winning races and championship.

Vettel has shown in Monza in the Toro Rosso(2008?( what he is capable of, and I have yet to see such a drive from Hamilton. Alonso surely has had such moments.

Alonso was expected to wipe the floor with Massa, still, this season he's better, but not as much as expected. So is the situation with Hamilton and Button, had Button been put on another strategy, Turkey results might have been different.
Do we rate Button as high as Alonso? No, so how come Hamilton does not beat him with such a superiority we could expect?

Mark Webber is not a slow guy, and he's in the same car as Vettel. But both on track and from the feeling one has from watching the races, he doesn't stand a chance against Vettel, he's even "complaining" in press conferences that one has to stop vettel from winning etc.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

No way Vettel was the best driver in 2009.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Mandrake wrote:Do we rate Button as high as Alonso?
Not quite, but a lot higher than I rate Massa. Well... at least after his accident.
No, so how come Hamilton does not beat him with such a superiority we could expect?
He does consistently beat button, this year, by more than Alonso beats Massa by.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

rfs wrote:
Vettel is the most consistent right now. The only mistake he's made since Spa last year is that crash in Turkey FP1. And yet he still won the race. 7 poles, 2 second places and 6 wins from his last 9 races speak for themselves IMO.
He also made that mistake in Singapore qualifying, which effectively cost him the race. But since Spa, he's certainly improved and become more mature. He deserves credit for being extremely quick in both qualifying and the race. People will put him down for having the quickest car, but lots of drivers in the past (e.g. Hill, Villeneuve, Montoya, Coulthard, Frentzen) have had the fastest car yet never made full use of it.

For me though, his race craft is still unproven. Every race he's wn, he's been leading from the first corner. When he's had to fight with others and been put under pressure, he has made mistakes. Sometimes we forget how young he is though, and i'm sure he will improve even further.

HampusA

ROC unfortunately doesn´t say much more then who made the least mistakes.
First of all, Hamilton has never participated as far as i know.

And the most succesful guys in ROC is not F1 drivers. Two of the top 4 is DTM and WRC drivers.

08 at Monza was a complete mess if you remember, so times (definitely not taking anything away from Vettel) were abit skewed since both Raikkonen and Hamilton and Kubica qualified outside of top 10. None of them did a time in Q3.

Hamilton passed 7-8 guys during the race and lapped almost a second faster then Vettel at one point in the race. While Raikkonen setting the absolute fastest lap of the race on his last lap.

So you could say that things played in his hands just like when he won the title last year.

No doubt he is an extremely good driver. Alonso, Hamilton, Kubica, Vettel are all special drivers in their own way, and we are fortunate to have this level of drivers in racing today.

alelanza
alelanza

Mandrake wrote:I think a very good comparison can be made from ROC results.
I doubt that very much, very different machinery in very different tracks, and crucially, you're alone in the track so right there you've left racecraft out of the equation. ROC is closer to rally format than circuit racing.
Think Kovalainen, by the ROC measure he should have done all sorts of things in F1, yet only managed 1 win in one of 08's top cars. And he only won that race thanks to LH's tyre blowing up and Massa's engine blowup.
Alejandro L.

PlatinumZealot

The thing about Vettel is that he looks no different that Button did in the Brawn in 2009. Who knows he may go on to win 4 more races in a row. He has the best car by a mile.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

rfs

Gerhard Berger wrote: For me though, his race craft is still unproven. Every race he's wn, he's been leading from the first corner. When he's had to fight with others and been put under pressure, he has made mistakes. Sometimes we forget how young he is though, and i'm sure he will improve even further.
Maybe this is his own particular style of racing. On the SpeedTV broadcast last week they quoted Vettel as saying that if you want to have fun, start from the back. But if you want to win, start from pole.

What would you all think if he became a 3-time world champion by the end of 2012? If he continues to have the best car next year I wouldn't bet against him pulling that off.

beelsebob
beelsebob

rfs wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote: For me though, his race craft is still unproven. Every race he's wn, he's been leading from the first corner. When he's had to fight with others and been put under pressure, he has made mistakes. Sometimes we forget how young he is though, and i'm sure he will improve even further.
Maybe this is his own particular style of racing. On the SpeedTV broadcast last week they quoted Vettel as saying that if you want to have fun, start from the back. But if you want to win, start from pole.

What would you all think if he became a 3-time world champion by the end of 2012? If he continues to have the best car next year I wouldn't bet against him pulling that off.
Agreed, I'd think we hadn't really seen whether he's worthy of it still though. I'd much rather see Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel all have very similarly fast cars and see them truely fight it out.