McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

kalinka wrote:It could be the case if the engine wasn't running. In that case , the thin exhaust pipes+insulation could cool down quite quick, while some other parts with more mass, like fluids ( coolant,oil,engine block ) could retain heat quite long after engine shut down....just speculating...
Was it a picture of running engine?
It was a picture of an idling (and probably on 4 cylenders) engine – I didn't get a screencap soon enough from when ham was coming down the pit lane – would be interesting to see if the exhausts were hotter then.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

according to the formula1 website it was a mchaine failure that prevented mclaren from bringing their planned upgrade to the car.
should hopefully see a marked improvement to their car in spain.

chepoi
chepoi

weird!!! no new comments on team Vodafone McLaren-Mercedes for 48 hours!!!! :P =D> :wtf: #-o :idea: :!: :?: :roll:

ianwit
ianwit

OK Chepoi, does anyone else think that they were planning to reintroduce an improved 'Octopus' exhaust at Turkey but had to put it off to Barca?
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

adrianjordan

ianwit wrote:OK Chepoi, does anyone else think that they were planning to reintroduce an improved 'Octopus' exhaust at Turkey but had to put it off to Barca?
No. I stick to the theory (I didn't come up with it) that the "octopus exhaust" was a way for them to test the effects of blowing the exhausts on to various different parts of the floor without having to manufacture several different exhausts. As such it would be purely a testing tool and will never be raced.

I could be completely wrong of course!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

beelsebob
beelsebob

adrianjordan wrote:
ianwit wrote:OK Chepoi, does anyone else think that they were planning to reintroduce an improved 'Octopus' exhaust at Turkey but had to put it off to Barca?
No. I stick to the theory (I didn't come up with it) that the "octopus exhaust" was a way for them to test the effects of blowing the exhausts on to various different parts of the floor without having to manufacture several different exhausts. As such it would be purely a testing tool and will never be raced.

I don't think that holds water – surely then they would simply have built it out of an illegal material and had it not cause endless problems.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

beelsebob wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

I don't think that holds water – surely then they would simply have built it out of an illegal material and had it not cause endless problems.
Or maybe the method that they discovered worked the best could only be built using the illegal material?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

astracrazy
astracrazy

adrianjordan wrote: No. I stick to the theory (I didn't come up with it) that the "octopus exhaust" was a way for them to test the effects of blowing the exhausts on to various different parts of the floor without having to manufacture several different exhausts. As such it would be purely a testing tool and will never be raced.

that fails to explain why they would allow themselves drift so far off the pace in practice
and also
why macca came up with a last minute design for aus, they would have known the best solution after the first test if it was a testing tool

i believe they thought it was worth a huge amount of time, they just run out of time to get it working. it won't be used again though

beelsebob
beelsebob

astracrazy wrote:
adrianjordan wrote: No. I stick to the theory (I didn't come up with it) that the "octopus exhaust" was a way for them to test the effects of blowing the exhausts on to various different parts of the floor without having to manufacture several different exhausts. As such it would be purely a testing tool and will never be raced.

that fails to explain why they would allow themselves drift so far off the pace in practice
and also
why macca came up with a last minute design for aus, they would have known the best solution after the first test if it was a testing tool

i believe they thought it was worth a huge amount of time, they just run out of time to get it working. it won't be used again though
It might be... but only if the FIA don't adjust the rules for next year.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Mchamilton wrote:according to the formula1 website it was a mchaine failure that prevented mclaren from bringing their planned upgrade to the car.
Who is this Mchaine character and what did he fail to do? :lol:
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Coefficient wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:according to the formula1 website it was a mchaine failure that prevented mclaren from bringing their planned upgrade to the car.
Who is this Mchaine character and what did he fail to do? :lol:
lol funny :P machine*

hakan439
hakan439

I read somewhere that Macca will be bringing quiet number of new upgrades to Spain hoping to add half a second.

In summary;
-New engine mapping for qualify trim
-New wing
-upgrades planned for Turkey

Anyone has a clear info about this?

akshat21
akshat21

hakan439 wrote:I read somewhere that Macca will be bringing quiet number of new upgrades to Spain hoping to add half a second.

In summary;
-New wing

I did read they are bringing all updates that they couldn't get in turkey (Through autosport).. Don't know about new engine maps or new wings

beelsebob
beelsebob

akshat21 wrote:
hakan439 wrote:I read somewhere that Macca will be bringing quiet number of new upgrades to Spain hoping to add half a second.

In summary;
-New wing

I did read they are bringing all updates that they couldn't get in turkey (Through autosport).. Don't know about new engine maps or new wings
I had understood that the new engine map was meant to be there at turkey.

Holm86

I saw a Sutton picture somewhere that showed what looked like a different McLaren beam wing in Turkey. Just cant find it now.

Does anyone know if they tested a different beam wing there??