Flexible wings 2011

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Flexible wings 2011

It's good you've never heard of it, because it appears no one has actually mentioned anything about material being added.
As I did say it was "restoring the profile" which in essence means shape, why would the need to add anything if the shape would easily be retained by sanding the bits that were ground out of shape....?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Try to answer yourself to your own question.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Dragonfly wrote:Try to answer yourself to your own question.

Excuse me?

Did you not ask the question yourself on the post previous to my last one?
Dragonfly wrote: I've never heard about restoring lost material by sanding the worn out part ...
because to restore the profile you have to replace the missing amount of material.
Adding material is not the only way to restore the profile my friend.
David Purley

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Adding material is not the only way to restore the profile my friend.
Actually it is. Whilst the new profile may be the same shape, it would not be the same dimensions as the original and would in all probability not provide the desired aerodynamic properties.

It depends how you define restoring the profile.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Andrew.

If you have a square, and it is ground into a rectangle, are you saying the only way to restore the profile is by adding more material?

Because it isnt.

You can sandpaper the the shape to become a square again...restoring the profile. Not magic, just elbow grease :lol:
andrew wrote: It depends how you define restoring the profile.
#-o
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

even if this is a bit far off topic ,i´m pretty sure that even in F1 sometimes a bit of crude hand sanding and bodge with filler etc will be the name of the game...Also I have never seen anyone in the paddock using rulers or templates to check the accuracy of the finished product ...so maybe it looks and performs as the original thing but is it to true to the blueprint? Was it ever?

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Andrew.

If you have a square, and it is ground into a rectangle, are you saying the only way to restore the profile is by adding more material?

Because it isnt.

You can sandpaper the the shape to become a square again...restoring the profile. Not magic, just elbow grease :lol:
andrew wrote: It depends how you define restoring the profile.
#-o
I am taking the same profile to not only mean the same shape but the same dimensions.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

marcush. wrote:even if this is a bit far off topic ,i´m pretty sure that even in F1 sometimes a bit of crude hand sanding and bodge with filler etc will be the name of the game...Also I have never seen anyone in the paddock using rulers or templates to check the accuracy of the finished product ...so maybe it looks and performs as the original thing but is it to true to the blueprint? Was it ever?
I think as Rob pointed out, the car was scraping its wings on the ground at Oz during Quali 1 I think. The Mechanics didnt add anything to the wing, they ground off rough areas that accumulated from the wing scraping the floor which may have had an unknown influence on Aero(front wing being important and all that).

So what they were indeed trying to do is keep the bottom of the wing as true to the original concept as before.(without adding anything)
As you can see the bottom of the wing is not a straight line running infront of the car. It is more complex than that.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

andrew wrote:I am taking the same profile to not only mean the same shape but the same dimensions.
When I posted this??
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:It's good you've never heard of it, because it appears no one has actually mentioned anything about material being added.
As I did say it was "restoring the profile" which in essence means shape, why would the need to add anything if the shape would easily be retained by sanding the bits that were ground out of shape....?
David Purley

HampusA

hecti wrote:Congrats, you found the rule!
Now prove it, find a picture of the front wing touching the ground. I bet you cant find one.
You are joking right? Are you aware of the fact that Mechanics of RBR has sanded the wing down in some GP´s simply because of the fact that the front wing TOUCHES the ground?

"any car system, device or procedure which uses, or is suspected of using, driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited."

Watch 1 video of RBR onboard should light a big fire, yet it doesn´t.
Probably because FIA have no idea on what to do.
How about doubling the loads and on more points of the wing.
Last edited by Giblet on 16 May 2011, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comment
The truth will come out...

wesley123
wesley123

HampusA wrote:
Now prove it, find a picture of the front wing touching the ground. I bet you cant find one.
You are joking right? Are you aware of the fact that Mechanics of RBR has sanded the wing down in some GP´s simply because of the fact that the front wing TOUCHES the ground?

Well it is obvious he isnt that much joking since you couldnt provide the pic.

I would like to see a pic too of the front wing touching the ground, been watching since 2001 and have never seen it.
Last edited by Giblet on 16 May 2011, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted personal comment
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

malcolm
malcolm

Man, people like to argue on here.

By restoring profile, he means rounding off the flat-spot that would be generated by scraping. He never meant restoring the EXACT profile from out of the mold.

Geez.

PS. However, just because the wing touches the ground on occasion doesn't mean that it's bridging the gap (or at least no more so that the plank rubbing on the ground). If it dragged around on the ground for 90% of the lap, then yeah, it could be considered to be bridging a gap... but the odd scrape over a kerb or over a bump under heavy braking? Not really...

Giblet
Giblet

Please tone it down. If you disagree with someone don't attack them. Insults are not how to discuss something rationally, and if you don't want to play nice, we'll take you out of the game.

Keep in mind that just about all sensitive aero parts get sanded and cleaned by all the teams. They are pelted with marbles, pebbles, stones, and kerbs. Every team does this all the time to all their parts. Some teams sand and refinish floors a couple times a weekend. It's like keeping a board waxed.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

JohnsonsEvilTwin

malcolm wrote:Man, people like to argue on here.

By restoring profile, he means rounding off the flat-spot that would be generated by scraping. He never meant restoring the EXACT profile from out of the mold.

Geez.
:lol:

+1
David Purley

HampusA

wesley123 wrote:
HampusA wrote:

Well it is obvious he isnt that much joking since you couldnt provide the pic.

I would like to see a pic too of the front wing touching the ground, been watching since 2001 and have never seen it.
Well obviously you can´t read or watches F1 races with your eyes closed.
Like i said, Mechanics have sanded down the bottom part of the front wing BECAUSE it TOUCHES THE GROUND.

You don´t need any pics for that, the videos clearly shows RBR´s front wing breaching the rules that is ment to be followed UNER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.

How about you find a pic of gravity?
The truth will come out...