Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP W02

:lol:

Gotta love Norby. The smoke is getting thicker....there must be a fire to these rumours....

Thanks Byron
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

Byronrhys wrote:"We have quite a few things in the pipeline, but Ross (Brawn) will hit me if I tell," Mercedes’ motor sport vice-president Haug joked in an interview with ibnlive.com.

"So, (there’s) no chance that I can be specific," he added.

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Haug ... 23321.html
:lol: As if Fat Norb could xplain anything technical even if he tried his darnest!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

PlatinumZealot

I hope this actually comes good unlike the over hyped Merc upgrades of the past.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Ferraripilot

shelly wrote:I think that barcelona is the only track where it is convenient for Mercedes to introduce a big revamping for the car, because it is the most well known track, where they have the biggest amount of data.

So I think that if they have some big change in the pipeline, they will try to run it on friday in barcelona, even if tey are not planning to race it until alter (e.g. canada)

That's precisely my reasoning for expecting the big upgrades this Friday as well. They have gobs of data at this track and they know how fast Michael is there giving them sort of a yardstick from which to guage what's going on. Brackley has certainly not been sitting on their hands and I bet they have been working on the FEE for much longer than we think.

The FEE I *think* works more to their advantage than raking the car and running a RB exhaust. The MB is a very centered and fat car which would benefit more from centered downforce which I believe Ringo argues pretty well that centered downforce is the benefit of the FEE rather than the illusion that it only or mainly benefits the diffuser.

Ferraripilot

All this talk from Haug stating Brawn would hit him if he said anything about this major update tells me their relationship could be a partially violent one! haha. Cage match anyone?

I'm reading on a couple other sites: sidepods, FEE, suspension, AND flexi wing.....

aral
aral

Last year, there were constant promises of new wing, revised f-ducts, super duper diffuser etc, but nothing ever cam of them. Haug probably has no idea what will arrive, after all, he is just a PR man, not an engineer.

Byronrhys

The overrun 10%-15% limit turns this whole new exhaust rumor on its head, which exhaust is the best to go with now, midships blew over the floor so they probably would be the most stable.. ughhhh thursday please come.

dren

Byronrhys wrote:The overrun 10%-15% limit turns this whole new exhaust rumor on its head, which exhaust is the best to go with now, midships blew over the floor so they probably would be the most stable.. ughhhh thursday please come.
Agree, this could really set back Mercedes if they have a big FEE update.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

Byronrhys wrote:The overrun 10%-15% limit turns this whole new exhaust rumor on its head, which exhaust is the best to go with now, midships blew over the floor so they probably would be the most stable.. ughhhh thursday please come.

Hah. Fate is not without a sense of irony.

Pierce89

atanatizante wrote:What`s happened with the Aussie upgrades?

In China they went to the basic car. That means they get rid of Australia upgrades and return to the Barcelona spec car. Now they have a better understanding of the whole package and maybe they`ll put again the same upgrades designed for Sydney but refined with some improved cooling system which caused them many problems so far.

There are at least two reasons why they can`t go so bold with the FEE upgrades because:
1.that will change the whole car as well mentioned some others here ...
2.(and most of all) they have been taking some lessons regarding small steps in development. For this reason you should see how it went back in winter testing and what happened in Australia + Malaysia with the upgraded package.
Where did you here they took off the Melbourne(not Sydney)package and went backwards to Barca testing spec? I've never heard this at all, but would be consistent with last year's pattern so maybe it's true, but I'd like a source if possible.Not that I think you're wrong I just would like to read it myself.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

mantikos
mantikos

Ferraripilot wrote:

Hah. Fate is not without a sense of irony.
...and the FIA reversed the decision for the Spanish GP after 'unintended consequences' were brought to thier notice...wow...

Rob01
Rob01

Merc was working on the forward exhaust. If and when the EBD rule is changed it should help out Merc.

Byronrhys

The way Brawn reacted to the Ban made em think they have a new exhaust for sure and don't want to risk them without overrun, but it good if the team have two iterations of exhaust to run through when the off throttle flow is no longer there.

BrawnGP
BrawnGP

I would say Mercedes come out best from this rule change, when it comes into effect that is! as they dont really blow the diffuser directly like the others???? Saying that though i would still like to see them blowing the outer edges directly as it must still benefit when on throttle.

By the way, FEE i really dont think so.!!!

marcush.
marcush.

Mercedes THINK they already have a good package for Barcelona,so at least they can gamble a bit in FP1 and try out those ideas Brawn was talking about in the winter-we have some really unique ideas floating around - wasn´t it in that sense ? true they have a very short car and a unique exhaust exit position but maybe they have even more..last year they introduced their final airbox also not at the season opener..