Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP W02

marcush. wrote:last year they introduced their final airbox also not at the season opener..
Yes that was a bit of an eyeopener. We could see from the first stage design that they could actually make the airbox tighter.
We are seeing similar from the sidepods this year where there is plenty of scope for development.

Could Mercedes be running standardised sidepods trying to solve their cooling issues before they add the update? This way any idea they have cannot be copied and applied as quickly. Mercedes are the smallest of the big 4, with around 450 staff(last count) so anything innovative needs to work immediatley or risk having other teams use the idea and then better them at it.

Im not expecting a deathstar, but if this blown diffuser calamity came about this weekend I think Mercedes would have been sitting pretty with their current exhaust configuration.

I also hear the FEE is actually not as badly affected as Red Bulls blown diffuser should the ban be implemented at the next race. So if Mercedes do indeed have an FEE in the works its again a positive pointer.

Very interesting how the teams existence was being questioned but 5 weeks ago, and now it seems they are finding their feet nicely. Racing with Mclaren and getting 100% kudos for it, 18 months after doing their own thing... fair play to Merc :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

RBR is according to Neweay not even loking at FEE...

Mercedes has found their feet in the last moment methinks.It looks as if they have done enough ...just .But now the board is expecting them to stay near the podiumfinish for the rest of the season.

btw ..who thinks the decision for 2013 is a thing of 2012? All plans are well underway already and I firmly beleive they would have ditched the whole thing if the Australia disaster had not been solved till now.

I think JET is right with the unfinished car looks .we will see a lot more.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

What 2013 decison Marcush?

Having read a bit more on Scarbs blog for the W02, it seems Mercedes powered teams struggle more with the EBD than others. Suggestions are that the exhaust plume is less than predictable, and would explain why Mercedes have gone for a low mid exit and also why Mclaren have experimented with everything.

Also on the same piece it mentions about the beam that runs inside the side pod as being the crash structure. As its exposed to the air, it may be deemed contraveneing regs that forbid crash structures being exposed to airflow.

Or perhaps as Red Bull redefined "flex", Mercedes have redefined "exposed airflow" :wink:
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:What 2013 decison Marcush?

Having read a bit more on Scarbs blog for the W02, it seems Mercedes powered teams struggle more with the EBD than others. Suggestions are that the exhaust plume is less than predictable, and would explain why Mercedes have gone for a low mid exit and also why Mclaren have experimented with everything.

Also on the same piece it mentions about the beam that runs inside the side pod as being the crash structure. As its exposed to the air, it may be deemed contraveneing regs that forbid crash structures being exposed to airflow.

Or perhaps as Red Bull redefined "flex", Mercedes have redefined "exposed airflow" :wink:
I was referring to a strategic decision to go on after three years or ditch the whole thing .

petet
petet

Maybe the first of the updates?

Any Idea on what this is? Or is it just the exit for the snorkel thingy they were running a few races ago?

BrawnGP
BrawnGP

Its not new its just where the little chimneys fit that they had in the race for malaysia and china. I didnt see them in Turkey so not sure why they are back now unless its because of the higher temps in spain???? not sure its a good thing seeing them back really with a new cooling system and all??

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Even if Mercedes have failed to win with the W02, I think you can still say that their efforts are worthwhile.
They arent there to make up the numbers and with board members at the races in China and Turkey you can see it means alot to them.

When did you see BMW's board egging the team on in the garage? Mercedes are already viewed as one of the big 4 and for them to have maintained that in its own right is impressive.

Going wheel to wheel with Ferrari and McLaren tells me that Mercedes will be here beyond 2012.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

David Purley

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Also they will always have that hole for the chimney, they will just blank it off if they don't need it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

mantikos
mantikos

Owen.C93 wrote:Image

Also they will always have that hole for the chimney, they will just blank it off if they don't need it.

Don't see any change to the side impact structure or the sidepod inlets...wolf wolf wolf!

Ferraripilot

Are they painted black now (sidepods) ?

Morteza

It is the same front wing as before.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mantikos
mantikos

Ferraripilot wrote:Are they painted black now (sidepods) ?
that is internal ducting

Ferraripilot

I'm reading that MB is only using suspension updates and cooling updates this weekend. So no FEE

HampusA

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Even if Mercedes have failed to win with the W02, I think you can still say that their efforts are worthwhile.
They arent there to make up the numbers and with board members at the races in China and Turkey you can see it means alot to them.

When did you see BMW's board egging the team on in the garage? Mercedes are already viewed as one of the big 4 and for them to have maintained that in its own right is impressive.

Going wheel to wheel with Ferrari and McLaren tells me that Mercedes will be here beyond 2012.
They wont if they can´t get a car that is capable to win races. It´s business after all.

So far they haven´t really been at BMW´s level like in 08. Sure BMW 09 was horrible but i´m sure they could have atleast come second in 08 if it weren´t for them deciding to work on the 09 model from summer time i think.

In 08 BMW was effectively one of the big three, today i see RBR, Ferrari and Mclaren as the big three but maybe next year they will be up there.
The truth will come out...