Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
axle
axle

Re: Williams FW33

A new design direction, can be many things.
I expect it to mean that they have changed the management of the air the FW is moving. They will push it around in a different way, in a way that better benefits the rest of the car.

It's like the change and move to outwash end plates to push air around the tyre. That was a change in design direction. The number of flaps and their AoA would be another.

If there is a change to the brakeducts too as mooted then I would anticipate this is a reaction to the changes in the new FW.

A bendy wing to me is more of a structural change than a design direction.
- Axle

roadie

One thing I've noticed regarding the Williams front wing compared to others is the way the flaps blend into the foot/end plate. It's quite unique. I wonder whether this will see much change?
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2011-2.jpg

wesley123
wesley123

it isnt that unique, McLaren went the same road and also alot of others have it similair shaped, that is with or without an end plate on top of it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Byronrhys

Giblet
Giblet

Does someone have a picture of the 'barge boards' they had on the camera housings of all places?

Did I see what I just saw?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ringo

The car is doing much better this weekend. It doesn't have the blown floor as yet and is knocking on Q3's door. The front wing is working it seems and maldonado says the car is easier to drive.
Considering that he didn't have KERS, and both drivers are using the older wing, they are recovering well.
If there are some casualties Williams can get some points tomorrow.
For Sure!!

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

If they can get to the flag.

Francesc
Francesc

Old

New

Also the gurney is removed on the inner part of the wing.

wesley123
wesley123

you are posting the same pic twice? I dont see any difference.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob
beelsebob

wesley123 wrote:you are posting the same pic twice? I dont see any difference.
The latter is blurry, clearly this will cause air to flow more efficiently over it.

axle
axle

Yeah they are the same wing - 2 ever so slightly different angles.

Ho hum after a rubbish performance in the race we'll wait for the definitive FW33 at Barca...I hope.
- Axle

roadie

So, hopefully the new rear wing and diffuser will work in Spain. An entry into the top 10 in qualifying would be great, but the race performance and getting points is a priority. My concern is that the car is too hard on its tyres compared to other cars, and at a track like Barcelona, this is a recipe for poor performance in the race.

I would also like to see the cars make better starts than we've seen so far this year.

ringo

I never expected the car to be hard on tyres.
Must be the lack of downforce because the low gear box should help in the tyre wear department.
Hope the upgrades hook up the whole car and give them a big boost.The car actually looks promising.
For Sure!!

Francesc
Francesc

ringo wrote:I never expected the car to be hard on tyres.
Must be the lack of downforce because the low gear box should help in the tyre wear department.
Hope the upgrades hook up the whole car and give them a big boost.The car actually looks promising.
The car is a dog, at the level of the FW30.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)