McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MikeFromCanada

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

I also agree it looks like a physical shape rather than a reflection. It looks more refined.

Button's comment is interesting:

"We have got a lot of updates here, the stuff we were supposed to put on the car in Turkey makes the car look a bit sexy, and faster obviously. It is not just to make it look good,"

thestig84
thestig84

beelsebob wrote:
wesley123 wrote:that is called reflection lol
No it's not – follow the matte black lower edge of it in the radiator intake – it used to be dead flat, it's now curved.
Ah I see what your getting at now. Ive looked through a lot of pictures and the reflection does vary a lot in that area. Especially in well lit garage shots. Also it looks like it would be the side of the tub that has changed which isnt likely. Im going for reflection right now until more shots!

astracrazy
astracrazy

reflection here

i can't imagen they would change the front of the sidepod and the rear at the same time

beelsebob
beelsebob

thestig84 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
wesley123 wrote:that is called reflection lol
No it's not – follow the matte black lower edge of it in the radiator intake – it used to be dead flat, it's now curved.
Ah I see what your getting at now. Ive looked through a lot of pictures and the reflection does vary a lot in that area. Especially in well lit garage shots. Also it looks like it would be the side of the tub that has changed which isnt likely. Im going for reflection right now until more shots!
Yeh, looking at a couple of earlier shots I noticed a couple of reflections which I guess could almost make it look like this... It's odd that both pictures came out showing a very similar dip though, you would have expected two photos from different angles to show it not all neatly lining up in at least one case.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

timbo
timbo

Rear end looks much nicer!

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

It's just a reflection off the side of the cockpit lol...

zgred

kalinka
kalinka

Interesting thing on that exhaust. What's that welded ring-like thing about 15cm from the end of the pipe ? Could it be some reinforcement against high thermal stress and vibration ? Maybe pipes that long couldn't be manufactured relyably and they reinforced it as a precaution ?

EDIT : referring to Owen.C93's posted pictures.

adrianjordan

I can't help but think that the way they have the exhaust exposed like that can't be the most aerodynamically efficient solution. When you compare it to the way RBR have their's integrated into the floor.

What does everyone else think?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Not alot of hot air exits anymore, lets hope there aren't any problems.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

zgred

Richied76
Richied76

kalinka wrote:Interesting thing on that exhaust. What's that welded ring-like thing about 15cm from the end of the pipe ? Could it be some reinforcement against high thermal stress and vibration ? Maybe pipes that long couldn't be manufactured relyably and they reinforced it as a precaution ?

EDIT : referring to Owen.C93's posted pictures.
I do believe its to be able to put a strip of material lenght ways from the top to the bottom to stop the exhaust distorting under heating. if also makes sure the flow is going straight, as so it flows "flat" on and under the diffuser rarther than spiraling out. Effectivly conditioning the exhaust flow before it leaves the pipes. You can just see where the strip is welded, straight through the circle, its the same underneath aswell. Its produces as a strap thats fitted after though and used to bolt it to the floor. Note how it is proud of the exhaust body itself

MikeFromCanada

Well those pictures settle it, most definitely a groove in the sidepods. I can't wait to see an overhead shot of the car to see that rear end.