McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ianwit
ianwit

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Very happy to be proved wrong on the rear end packaging thanks.

On the front wing and the upgrades that failed to materialise Ted Kravitz on radio5 live covering 1st quali said that it was the new McLaren front wing for Turkey that failed it's own tests before Turkey which simulate the FIA front wing test. Whether it broke or flexed too much he didn't say.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

matt21

Can anybody tell me why they welded the exhaust like this?

gibells
gibells

Obviously speculating but could it be adding a flow vane inside the pipe?

dren

Looks like it was bent around the pipe and welded that way. A clamp or something to help the pipe keep its shape?
Honda!

bot6
bot6

Double use as support to bind the exhaust to the floor and link between two pieces of pipe I think.

nextai998
nextai998

cost down!

matt21

BTW, was this small wing at the corner of the sidepod always there?

Edit: I think it is the support for the bardge board

raymondu999

tbh that looks more like a camera winglet to me
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

thestig84
thestig84

raymondu999 wrote:tbh that looks more like a camera winglet to me

No its the support for the turning vane. Its always been there.

MikeFromCanada

rayden wrote: it's a reflection.
That's the last time I trust the 3" screen on my Blackberry for looking up details ;)

marcush.
marcush.

I´d think it´s just a sleeve to hold the endpipe in a fixed position to the floor.With the fixation on the bottom it may prove useful to have the weld on top only giving the whole thing a bit of breathing space (the clamp will be not as hot in the area of the mounting face to the floor .It may as well give a little more tolerance to vibration and thermal expansion...so just carefully designed.

Richied76
Richied76

I do believe its to be able to put a strip of material lenght ways from the top to the bottom to stop the exhaust distorting under heating. if also makes sure the flow is going straight, as so it flows "flat" on and under the diffuser rarther than spiraling out. Effectivly conditioning the exhaust flow before it leaves the pipes. You can just see where the strip is welded, straight through the circle, its the same underneath aswell. Its produces as a strap thats fitted after though and used to bolt it to the floor. Note how it is proud of the exhaust body itself
3 pages back...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I like how the rear upper wishbone rear leg forms a version of a leading edge flap/slot to the beam wing. I wonder if there is that sort of interaction between the suspension leg and beam wing and if so how much benefit it brings...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PNSD
PNSD

Judging by the proximity there is for sure some interaction. My initial guess is that it would possibly allow the team to run a slightly more steeper beam wing...

SiLo

Wonder how long it will be before they run a Red Bull type wing above the diffusor instead of the big Gurney flap.
Felipe Baby!