Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes GP W02

I see that Mercedes and Mclaren are going completely differnt roads with their exhaust arrangements so I have no doubt they will not have the same power curves or top end power anyways.Installation is surely worth those 2 % or even more.Brawn had something like a 5 or even 8% bigger transmission loss in 2009 compared to Mcl and speaking of cooling packages the Macs were having excess cooling at the season opener whereas Mercedes needed to cut holes int heir ugly duck when temperatures were above what you expect in a european winter ..possibly causing a bigger power difference than you would ever find between the engines build at MHPE...it´s a nice question to ask MHPE but I don´t think it´s really important who does get the engine with that extra 10 horses....I would save the very best for the special important weekends...but surely not for Sutil or di Resta.

aral
aral

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:I wouldn't think the difference is as much as 2%.

When you think that they pump out 750bhp, you are talking 15hp difference which is big considering it's the same engine. Production car engines may vary as much, but F1 engines are fine pieces of work built to much higher spec. As such the difference will be no more than 0.5% maximum. Especially when customers are paying up to 6 million a year for your engines, they would demand evidence of parity.

I would say that the bench would test the units to reach "advertised" figures, then ship them out with all manner of info and printouts to back it up. No doubt, I have yet to hear of an unhappy Mercedes-Benz engine customer using the 108X.
Is not the maximum price chargeable for supply of an engine, to a team, as dictated by FIA, something more like $2m?

Ferraripilot

marcush. wrote:I see that Mercedes and Mclaren are going completely differnt roads with their exhaust arrangements so I have no doubt they will not have the same power curves or top end power anyways.Installation is surely worth those 2 % or even more.Brawn had something like a 5 or even 8% bigger transmission loss in 2009 compared to Mcl and speaking of cooling packages the Macs were having excess cooling at the season opener whereas Mercedes needed to cut holes int heir ugly duck when temperatures were above what you expect in a european winter ..possibly causing a bigger power difference than you would ever find between the engines build at MHPE...it´s a nice question to ask MHPE but I don´t think it´s really important who does get the engine with that extra 10 horses....I would save the very best for the special important weekends...but surely not for Sutil or di Resta.

So are you suggesting they run a considerably different timing curve? I suppose that would make sense considering how different their cars are not to mention how different their exhausts are. That being the case, dyno numbers on a motor are not going to make a huge amount of difference as both teams are going to be looking for different characteristics in the motor regardless.

So, one makes 805bhp at 18k rpm, but has a more peaky curve in a certain rev range, while the other makes 790bhp at 18k rpm but carries a more broad and useable power curve for one's particular application, but not the other. In the end, they are both looking for different things making dyno figures almost irrelevant. Who knows, maybe Mclaren requests a specific cam timing for their motors which provides a more specific torque curve, and the same could be true for MB or FI.

marcush.
marcush.

I don´t know for sure ,but as the inlet combustion chamber and exhaust work as a system Icannot imagine two teams going significant differnt routes with their development to need the same camprofiles and timing to achieve their goals-thats unlikely.
with the money involved I don´t think there is anything to stop Mercedes developing and supplying differnt optimised power curves for all three teams.

Ferraripilot

marcush. wrote: with the money involved I don´t think there is anything to stop Mercedes developing and supplying differnt optimised power curves for all three teams.
I bet anything that is what is happening rather than 1 standard unit.

atanatizante

Ross told us that they have a cooling upgrade ... Does anybody noticed a decrease in number of cooling gills from 11 to 8? That is basically due to a new oil cooling system? Btw. on which part of the car is this system?

I`ve heard that gills make them loss 5 tenth per lap, so without 3 gills they gain about 1,5 tenth. Is this what Rosberg was telling about? Are there other cooling upgrades?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

changhongyi
changhongyi

I think basically its a mechanical upgrade not so much on the aerodynamic side

Yups
Yups

NewtonMeter wrote:I have a bad feeling about this weekend. Rosberg saying the updates worth merely about 0.1 sec.

He didn't told! It was a joke with his new shoes. It has nothing to do with the upgrade package on the car.

http://ow.ly/i/bOJ5

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

My bad...I didn't get it.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

scarbs
scarbs

imightbewrong wrote:Image
New flap in front of the sidepod.
I'm told that that vortex generator "produces a vortex which helps the flow stay attached to the side of the chassis as it approaches adverse pressure gradient ahead of the radiators. This reduces thickness of boundary layer on inboard wall of radiator the duct and improves cooling..."

Scarbs

siskue2005

Danke scrabs :)

yener

I think we al could see today, that the MGP has a lack of mechanical grip since they lose time in the slow corners. And bringing "major" aero updates is not the solution in my opinion.
They really put up a good result this race, but it's just unbelieveable how the RB and MClarens did pass NR and MS.
They are about 1 second faster. I think they are beware of this problem and thatws why they didnt anounce any big aerodynamic updates.
Hopely they will improve suspension and under the body parts so we can enjoy watching reaces again.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Best they could hope for really and not unexpected (to me at least). It seems they went a little backwards in the development race, but it might just be track specific.

Don't buy Heidfeld's pace. Fair play coming from way behind, but the new tyres helped. I think the pace of Petrov was more indicative. Good on Shumi, Ros seemed a bit faster in the race, but not enough to pass - Michael just soaked up the pressure.

Wonder if their suspension mods worked...will be interesting to read the team debrief.

Next race please...
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

aral
aral

NewtonMeter wrote:Best they could hope for really and not unexpected (to me at least). It seems they went a little backwards in the development race, but it might just be track specific.

Don't buy Heidfeld's pace. Fair play coming from way behind, but the new tyres helped. I think the pace of Petrov was more indicative. Good on Shumi, Ros seemed a bit faster in the race, but not enough to pass - Michael just soaked up the pressure.

Wonder if their suspension mods worked...will be interesting to read the team debrief.

Next race please...
Rosbergs DRS was not working, so he could not get past Michael. Neither did he have a radio.
Brundle made the comment that Michael had a very wide Mercedes!
But they were both lapped. Merc are a very long way behind still.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mercedes will suffer at monaco.

Their low speed grip is abysmal, it's a Frank assessment. Monaco requires that, so we will see what they come up with to counter the problem. And Rosberg was much quicker than Schumacher on pure race pace. I think the race today about salvaging something for Schumachers pride.

It was a great start by Schumacher but after that it would have been more prudent to have let Rosberg hunt down Alonso. As gilgen pointed out Rosbergs DRS wasn't working, No doubt Schumacher would have been gobbled up ha it been working.

Seems mercedes and ferrari are about 0.2-3 off each other from race to race. Be interesting to see what happens at faster tracks wether the W02 can make use of its straight line pace.
Red bull are still too quick to even compare, mercedes are racing Ferrari for 3rd fastest.
More could have been done.
David Purley