2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Formula One 1.6l turbo engine formula as of 2013

@ WB:
This is where I fail to follow your logic, on the one hand you claim to be fighting for cutting costs, staff limitation, budget restrictions and whatnot, but on the other hand you xpect the engine manufacturers to break new ground with all these novel recovery systems, not to mention what the development of 4WD KERS would cost the teams?

Plese enlighten us with how the above will match?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

autogyro
autogyro

All the hype being put about by Ferrari realy amuses me.
I wonder if Murdochs little boy realises just how much of a patsy the Agneli family is making him, with the silly F1 buy out threats.

If it was not for all the money his Father has given him to play with from the sale of gutter newspapers and rip off TV, I would feel sorry for the little guy.

It is all in an attempt by Ferrari to stave off the inevitable both in F1 and for their road cars. They would be better served biting the bullet and placing most of their future development in EVs and the 2013 powertrains.

FW17

Ecclestone confirms 2013 engine equivalency talks
Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed that the idea of allowing V8s and the new turbos to race alongside each other in 2013 was floated at yesterday’s meeting in Barcelona.

Jean Todt met with engine representatives and FOTA’s Martin Whitmarsh, who had the chance to express their opposition to the rules. Although he still intends to pursue the turbo route the Frenchman acknowledged that one solution might be to allow the V8s a longer lifespan.

“What he is talking now is about letting the V8s run for a year or something,” Ecclestone told Reuters today. “But I mean, equivalency formulas never work, do they?”

Bernie acknowledged that it at least it was a sign of potential flexibility from Todt.

“We’ll have to see now. I don’t know. I hope, I hope, I hope. I think he’s beginning to understand that the manufacturers all realise its going to cost them a lot of money and they can’t hand that on to their customers because the engines are going to be too expensive.

“I think the whole idea of this engine is the wrong way to go. I haven’t changed and I told him yesterday I have not changed my opinion.

“Jean is still believing that he says we should be giving a message. I don’t know what the message is because there is more fuel used in the Tour de France than there is in Formula One. In my opinion it’s all a bit of window dressing for the wrong reasons.”

Last time F1 had turbo engine was in 1988, how much of this engine architecture can be taken forward today? or is the GDI engines that are proposed are a completely different page?

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:@ WB:
This is where I fail to follow your logic, on the one hand you claim to be fighting for cutting costs, staff limitation, budget restrictions and whatnot, but on the other hand you xpect the engine manufacturers to break new ground with all these novel recovery systems, not to mention what the development of 4WD KERS would cost the teams?

Plese enlighten us with how the above will match?
It is quite normal to have multiple objectives in engineering and you have to balance them for a particular project to meet the market needs and be successful. I simply want the biggest possible technical freedom and the most fuel economic technology that can be had for a sensibly restricted budget. Unlimited spending was excluded from the option list of the 3013 engines long ago, but it appears that Ferrari are pushing for higher cost all the time.

Personally I would restrict resources and give as much freedom as feasible for the manufacturers to spend it as they want. If they can do fancy stuff with €30m p.a. or the equivalent human resources they may do so, but no way are they to spend €200m p.a. again as they did in 2006. I also think that the teams can at least do away with 50% of the aero cost they have now. Personally I agree with Ferrari that more money should be spend for the power train and less for the aero. It simply makes more sense. The remaining aero money should not be wasted with trick diffusors and simillar nonsense but to reduce the drag to Cw 0.5 as the FiA expert group had suggested. I'm aware that I'm a bit in opposition with the teams on that issue.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

I picked up this on grandprix.com, the situation is really confusing, why do the engine manufacters, bar Renault, seem to abandon their own proposed rules?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23239.html

WhiteBlue

I don't see your problems X, the situation is unchanged from last year. Cosworth, Merc and Renault want the new engines and want to restrict the development cost. Ferrari don't want the new engines and try to block a cost restriction agreement to scare Cosworth and Merc away from the plan. On top they spread rumors that Renault isn't committed which they clearly are. Bernie probably hasn't really any strong feelings but he takes Ferrari's position in order to build up some chips which he will cash in at the next Concord talks. At least that is the short version that I can read from what the players have published.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

Still WB, the most cost effective solution for everyone involved would be to stick with the current engines, if Cosworth loses Williams next year, there's no way in the world they will develop a new engine for two cutomers, two shaky ones at that.

The other problem is probably that the new envelope wasn't enough to persuade VW to commit, nobody else either it seems.

alelanza
alelanza

xpensive wrote:

The other problem is probably that the new envelope wasn't enough to persuade VW to commit, nobody else either it seems.
I'm not sure i agree that that's a problem
Alejandro L.

Pierce89

ringo wrote:The I4 turbo can be cheap, though not cheaper than the v8 if it is highly restricted, but with an intro of a completely new engine, engine makers will definitely spend though the eye balls to ensure they have an advantage that will be locked in.
A turbo engine has more variables to consider and will no doubt cuase a space race between manufacturers.

White Blue's additional technologies such as TERS, turbo compounding etc. will definitely balloon costs. It's a good initiative but it's not realistic in one year's time, or even 2.

A simple turbo I4 with both engine and turbine management restrictions would be the best path to follow. Simplicity is key in keeping down costs.
Sadly creativity and ingenuity go hand in hand with excessive spending, so tight restrictions must be applied.
Agreed. With all the sweet ancillaries like TERS, a fat daddy KERS,and compounded turbos, cost restrictions will kill the ability to get the most out of the technologies and render the engines inefficient junk compared to the possibilities the various forms of energy recovery should achieve. I still think it's stupid to mandate an inline four. Allow a v6 or maybe even a v4. All open wheel single seaters should use a fully stressed engine.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

From James Allen:Cosworth, meanwhile, admitted to serious concerns that the 2013 rules, as they are currently written, are way too open to a spending space race. That is a concern shared by the small independent teams, and it's a valid one. Not so long ago they were spending $20m plus on an engine deal but as things stand, they are not. They can't afford to do so again.

Apparently when Cosworth said that they couldn't guarantee to be able to produce the new engines without some changes and some commitment from the independents, Craig Pollock announced, on behalf of the newly-formed PURE engine company, that he could. Which, I'm told, was not taken too seriously.

"PURE b*******, I suspect…" was how one source put it. Which was not very kind but, suffice to say, it looks like Craig has a fair amount of convincing to do.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Still WB, the most cost effective solution for everyone involved would be to stick with the current engines, if Cosworth loses Williams next year, there's no way in the world they will develop a new engine for two cutomers, two shaky ones at that. The other problem is probably that the new envelope wasn't enough to persuade VW to commit, nobody else either it seems.
The failure to define a sensible way into the future killed BMW's role in F1 and prevented VW to join. Both companies have decided that they are not interested in a bottomless pit that sucks in unlimited amounts of money for obsolete technology. There is a consensus in the German automotive industry on the top level that the proper way to tackle the industry problems for this decade is a radical approach to fuel efficiency. If you look at outstanding products which make money it is not an electric or hybrid car. It is a smartly designed conventional ICE driven car with superior performance and fuel economy. Efficient dynamics is not just a slogan, it is a philosophy.

If F1 wants to attract relevant automotive players such as Honda, BMW, Porsche, Audi and even Aston Martin there is no alternative to committing itself to technology that is relevant to those players. And F1 needs to respect that it cannot rip them off the way CVC is currently doing it and Bernie has done that all the time. Those guys are operating in the toughest economic environment that you can imagine and they have egos to match. A guy like Piech will not play Bernie's bitch and say thank you for it.

So I'm afraid my take is completely different on the engine issue. New technology is long overdue by five years in my book when the FiA promised the automotive industry relevance and was stopped by FOTA to deliver it. Clinging to obsolete technology will not attract the good guys that would re vitalize the series. Only the chance of success for a limited amount of spending in a stable framework with relevant technology will do that.

Fil

The last time the FIA attempted to limit spending, yet allow for new technology development, we were given a premature, deformed, KERS, that was soon thereafter aborted.

(Unlike WB) I'm not so sure that there is a feasible way of achieving the road-relevant/future-driven tech desired, without it being an arms race.

Certainly, there's no such speak from any engine manufacturer. Even Cosworth haven't mentioned a specific desire for a RRA for engine development (please point me towards anything to the contrary).
They've only voiced their concern at not being able to keep up with the big boys financially (and understandably so).
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Jimi_Hendrix_1967
Jimi_Hendrix_1967

Given that most KERS systems are very fragile pieces of machinery, I wonder if it is wise to put a 250hp system wich can break down during a race in the 2013 cars. Imagine if Red Bull suddenly lost 250hp during a race vs a battle with mclaren...they would probably be lapped twice by the HRT's and the Virgins.

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote: ...
If F1 wants to attract relevant automotive players such as Honda, BMW, Porsche, Audi and even Aston Martin there is no alternative to committing itself to technology that is relevant to those players.
Mind you WB, but all of those manufacturers mentioned are releasing new models with 8, 12 and even 16 cylinders all the time, on top of that, I recall that BMW was mighty disappointed to see the V10 go, as it would match the launch of their M5?

Jimi_Hendrix_1967
Jimi_Hendrix_1967

On top of that, I dont see VAG putting a Lamborghini tag on an inline 4 engine :)

Audi made it clear this week that they have no interest in F1: "F1 does not have any relevance to road cars." I guess that includes the 2013 engine rules.