Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Brawn stating today that W02 should excel at Monaco due to its short wheelbase. We will see.....He certainly knows something we don't

marcush.
marcush.

well their oversteery characteristic should be useful in Loews..to get away without additional lock...
I really think the W02 will be ok in Monaco just as the W01 was ok there.Still The car to beat is the Renault.
Last edited by marcush. on 24 May 2011, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Well ok, I hope not to incur the wrath of Tomba by expressing my opinion, so I will merely say Autosport suggests that the W02 will be well suited to Monaco due to its shorter wheelbase. Going along with FerrariPilots post of what Brawn has said.
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Well ok, I hope not to incur the wrath of Tomba by expressing my opinion, so I will merely say Autosport suggests that the W02 will be well suited to Monaco due to its shorter wheelbase. Going along with FerrariPilots post of what Brawn has said.
No worries JET, I will back up your opinion with my own...opinion, obviously a shorter wheelbase will suit a Mickey Mouse
track better than a long one, I need no Auto Motor und Sport to claim that without a shadow of hesitation.

But that doesn't mean that it will suit the W02, as I think it will be overpowered for Monaco! :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

scarbs
scarbs

Ferraripilot wrote:Brawn stating today that W02 should excel at Monaco due to its short wheelbase. We will see.....He certainly knows something we don't
Thats interesting, where did he say that?

dren

scarbs wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Brawn stating today that W02 should excel at Monaco due to its short wheelbase. We will see.....He certainly knows something we don't
Haug stated the W01 went well there last year so he's expecting the W02 to do the same.

Despite his feelings about the improvements Mercedes GP need to deliver, Haug has high hopes for a good performance in Monaco this weekend – where the short-wheelbase W02 could excel.

"We were seriously fast in Monaco last year," he said. "Nico was first in Q2 with one attempt and the others tried two times. Then we got into traffic in Q3 in the later stages, when you have to run.

"In hindsight we should probably have put more fuel in, because you just need to keep going to find a free lap. Hopefully we can do similar things this year, but I cannot promise, I cannot judge. There are lots of cars and the driver is very important there, but if the car gives you confidence then a driver can make a difference."
Honda!

FrukostScones

I think with Bridgestone tyres the W02 really would be a contender at Monaco this year, but with the Pirelli the car is a tyre eating dog! At monaco this will hurt even more imo. No chance for a win. I still wish Rosberg the best, maybe I#m wrong and he scores his first win, at home!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Ferraripilot

Was it Haug who said that or Brawn? I just read on Autosport Haug was stating that but I could have sworn a different site stated Brawn was stating it....... No matter I guess.

Regarding the tyre remark above: Would it not be possible to conjecture every team's chassis will react differently to tires at Monaco considering it's a slower track and the suspension ride height and downforce in-play will suggest very different performance (good or bad I suppose)? Does W02 eat rear tyres mainly due to their high-speed stability or lack of low-speed stability might be a better question. From what we have seen in Barcelona's S3, the W02 hasn't been great regarding mechanical grip which leads me to believe slow corner exit is the issue.....

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Ferraripilot wrote:
marcush. wrote:the setup for monaco has not much in common with anything else ..crowned instead of flat track ,increased rideheight ,all the wing you can find is stuck on.as the top speed is not really important...and markedly slower than anywhere else...What to make of DRS there?
Surely the REDBULL approach is givimng you a lot more benefit then looking for added topspeed on straights here....So you set up the car for the quick bits with DRS applied and add some resar downforce in areas where you can make use of it.

A car like W02 will behave completely different to anything they really knew before at Monaco. W02's oversteery nature could do well and Mclaren I think will suffer.
It's all relative. The W02 is not really that short, it's more all of the other cars are longer. The W02 is not exactly a revolution with respect to it's wheelbase, so don't expect it to dominate or anything like that.

scarbs
scarbs

dren wrote:
scarbs wrote:
Haug stated the W01 went well there last year so he's expecting the W02 to do the same.

Despite his feelings about the improvements Mercedes GP need to deliver, Haug has high hopes for a good performance in Monaco this weekend – where the short-wheelbase W02 could excel.

"We were seriously fast in Monaco last year," he said. "Nico was first in Q2 with one attempt and the others tried two times. Then we got into traffic in Q3 in the later stages, when you have to run.

"In hindsight we should probably have put more fuel in, because you just need to keep going to find a free lap. Hopefully we can do similar things this year, but I cannot promise, I cannot judge. There are lots of cars and the driver is very important there, but if the car gives you confidence then a driver can make a difference."
I think that comment on short wheelbase was the autosport writer, not Haug or Brawn, as their press releases dont even mention the wheelbase. I imagine their lack of traction will offset any tiny gain from the wheelbase around monaco.

Ferraripilot

Thanks for clarifying Scarbs.

Sidenote: I see you tweeted the W02 using a pedal for DRS rather than a steering wheel button.

mep

Check this job offer from Mercedes GP.
It's a funny to compare it to RedBulls.

http://www.autosport-atlas.com/dir_appo ... intid=2838

It seems to be typical for a car manufacturer. First of all they state how nice they are and what their brand stands for.
The only skills they require is some "can do attidute" and the ability to work for tight deadlines. (Well they don't seem to be that tight on Mercedes GP). Sounds like its easy to work there as nothing special is required. :lol:
Then in the next paragraph they point out again how nice it is to work for them and what comfort you have there.

Now compare this to a similar job offer by RedBull.
http://www.autosport.com/directory/appointments.html
They clearly state what kind of guy they are looking for without any self praise.

Btw. The job offer from Volkswagen Motorsport is written in a similar fashion like Mercedes.
Volkswagen Motorsport stands for successful and ambitious motorsport around the world.
automobile manufacturers :?

PlatinumZealot

THe mecedez job listing was obviously written by a human resources manager, while the RedBull listing was written by an engineer. Not the company per se, but the person that wrote the listing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

marcush.
marcush.

the can do attitude is something that has tradition in that company exactly these words were used in all their job offers from the beginning.Maybe it was a Villenueve thing.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sometimes it can be hard even for Brawn or Norbert to get rid of old habits.

xpensive
xpensive

The Mercedes ad is just filled with the usual corporate crap that all HR departments within large corporations throw around.

To my xperience that is of course.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"